Samphire Brasserie

Contact 01752-263116

111 Mayflower St, Plymouth, England, PL1 1SD

Opened 2013 as a vegetarian restaurant and switched to all vegan in 2015. Sample dishes such as vegan king prawn sandwich, vegan breakfast, pizzas, burgers with fries, cakes. Last lunch order 2:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Western, Fast food

First Review by Kevster

Anything you can eat, I can eat better! - Edit

Amazing junk food, I was the only vegan in our party but everyone raved about how delicious it was. I had the 'dirty stop out' and it didn't disappoint at all, in fact it surpassed my expectations easily. The atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly, the service is attentive, helpful and affable. I bought some pepperjack and feta style cheeses to take home and they're scrumptious, nothing like awful supermarket cheese alternatives! The pricing was very fair and we were left with only positive things to say about the evening, we've made plans to return to try out the steaks!

Pros: Very friendly staff, Outstanding food, Great value for money

Cons: Waiting times can be long

Wow - The Bigger Mocs! - Edit

My fiancé and I had the bigger Mocs yesterday and absolutely loved them! So similar to what I remember the Big Mac tasting like! The seitan is so juicy and tasty and the portions were massive.. I had to take a doggy bag home! Friendly service I would definitely recommend!

Two words: Epic burgers! - Edit

I love this place so so much, sometimes I feel a tear in my eye that I am no longer living near enough to eat here! The burgers are epic in portion and taste, and their homemade vegan mozzarella is the best I have ever tasted. The decor is a little on the off side, but the food far outweighs the appearances.

Pros: Great prices, Best vegan cheese

Cons: Lacking atmosphere

Hail Seitan! - Edit

The best seitan burgers this side of L.A! I'm already having withdrawal symptoms as the Bigger Moc burgers here are seriously good, they are the stuff vegans dream of, 2 housemade patties with tomatoes, lettuce, gherkins and 'special' sauce. The fries were twice cooked and were perfect. The Lotus biscuit cookie dough dessert is incredible. We cant wait to go back. With a really friendly server and a lovely, cosy ambience, this all vegan joint is so worth a visit. On the Lunch menu they make vegan riffs of traditional fast food, we saw the Kruelty Free Cooking Bucket and fabulous pizza being served to our fellow diners and we cant wait to go back in the evening to try their seitan steak!

Pros: all vegan menu, fantastic flavours, homemade seitan

A Load of Junk - Edit

Steak and chips, fried chicken bucket, Chinese takeaway. Is that what you crave? I suggest a trip to the Samphire Brasserie would be a suitable remedy without any animal entanglements. I had the V Bone steak. What a great name. Served with chunky fries, topped with caramelised onion and vegan blue cheese and a side of crispy kale, it was pretty sensational. My dining colleagues had a southern state style "mixed grill" of seitan and tempeh and a Chinese takeaway style burger. Absolutely exceptional from all angles. Bring your own booze, no corkage. Bob's your uncle. Main courses are in the region of £9-£11 for imaginative 100% vegan cuisine. This place is quite inspirational. An absolute must in Plymouth. "Green army".

Pros: amazing food, bring your own booze , ethical

Wide variety of food in a 100% vegan restaurant - Edit

Samphire made the change from vegetarian to vegan early in 2015.

I have eaten at Samphire many times and always find something interesting to eat from the varied menu.

I'd like to see the addition of a couple of new raw dishes... I miss the Raw Lasagna!

Good for meat and dairy substitutes - Edit

I find Samphire Brasserie an interesting place. The atmosphere is calm and the staff very enthusiastic about the food. It's great to have a 100% vegan restaurant fairly close by!

I do feel it is lacking some more healthy options, as it is very much based on meat and dairy substitutes (much of it homemade). You have to bear this in mind when visiting; I think it's more of a place to go for a treat than a healthy meal, although they do offer a raw spaghetti option which is full of veg!

I have visited twice so far, both times with meat eaters, and they and I enjoyed the meals equally. The dessert options are very tempting, although it's hard to fit them in after the large main meals!

The service is great, but the food takes a little while to arrive, so be prepared to spend some time here.

Pros: 100% vegan, Relaxed atmosphere, Lovely staff

Cons: Slow, Lack of healthy options

Loved it! - Edit

Absolutely amazing place, went there few times and wished, I would have been longer in Plymouth in order to taste each dish from the menu!
First of all, they have a record player! Isn't that alone amazing enough? As a guest you can even choose a LP yourself and play it.
Samphire provides a very nice ambience; some art-stuff from local artists is hanging around (not only pictures) which you can purchase. Frankly, most of it wasn't my taste, yet it still is a ripper.
The food was delicious! Especially the seitan steak was excellent. Another time I tried a burger which turned out to be pretty good. And once I had a four cheese pizza which still was decent, albeit not outstanding. The different fake-cheeses were quite alright, yet not compelling. They produce them themselves though and you can buy some to take home. The blue one was probably the best of their range, at least in my opinion.
Don't miss the desserts, if you still have capacities for it.
The prices are rather high, but apart from this it's not likely at all you will be disappointed. The staff is engaging and attentive. I also really liked them being vocal about veganism, that's a good attitude.
Sitting inside it's a great diversion to count all the empty bottles standing on the wall projection.

Amazing food. - Edit

Amazing menu where anyone can find something good. The cheeseburger recommended especially for omnis. The bucket with "drumsticks" is great vegan fast food option. The raw spaghetti is absolutely beautiful. And the cookie dough dessert is mouthwatering. They used to make chocolate sundaes to die for but sadly stopped making them:(

Pros: choice, separate lunch menu, friendly

Cons: slow service, closed on Sunday, no salads

Eaten here many times, lovely restaurant! - Edit

Whenever I am visiting my hometown (Plymouth) I'm sure to pay a visit to Samphire. It is an all-vegan restaurant with plenty of gluten free options and a raw option too! The food is fantastic for vegans and omnivores alike and the prices are reasonable. The staff are friendly, the restaurant has a nice vibe and a turntable plays a selection of records from which you are invited to choose. Well worth a visit.

Pros: good prices, great food, friendly staff

Cons: you want to eat everything

My favourite restaurant in the UK - Edit

Delicious, inspired and varied vegan food.
Worth a trip to Plymouth for, maybe on your way to Cornwall or Brittany? Check you are fitting in with its opening times before you book your trip.
Our kids loved it too.

Pros: delicious and inspired, vegan at its best, friendly and good value for the quality

Vegan Fun - Edit

I really like Samphire Brasserie. It is a friendly restaurant, open for brunch/ lunch and dinner. It has quirky decor, which gives the place a unique and comfortable character. The food is tasty and freshly made. The menu has vegan fun remakes, inventive fake-fish and chips, not-chicken in a bucket, etc. They also do gluten free and raw food options.

Pros: Most of the food is Vegan, Gluten Free marked, fresh and tasty

Cons: why not go all vegan? seems like you are close, go

The best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to. - Edit

I had the privilege of eating at the Samphire Brasserie on Saturday and I was thoroughly impressed. The food was delicious. I like lentils and that kind of thing, but it was a treat to be able to choose dishes such as fish and chips and chicken drum sticks. The ambience of the restaurant was charming and despite choosing 'fast food' style food, it still felt relatively healthy (the cauliflower buffalo wings were particularly nice), and didn't feel over processed.

The fish and chips were something else. Why have I not had this before, why don't other restaurants make these? Amazing!!

As a vegan, choice can be limited even in totally vegetarian restaurants - but not at the Samphire Brasserie where practically everything is already vegan or can be easily veganised.

The service was perfect, attentive but not overpowering. It felt as no request was too much to ask. My infant son was welcomed and had a meal created for him.

The portions were generous and the price was very reasonable. I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough. My only quibble is that it's so far away so I can only visit on holiday.

Pros: Innovative menu, Good value, Great service

Really impressed! - Edit

Lovely food!

We had a vegan breakfast when we arrived in Plymouth. That was lovely and tasty. That evening we took my parents out and enjoyed the FREE CORKAGE on some alcoholic drinks brought in - and a free hot drink (tea or coffee) at the end because we had booked a table. They also gave us a jug of free tap water with cucumber in when we arrived. That is really friendly - both to us and the environment! ;)

The food was lovely. They make their own vegan cheeses, which are worth trying either separately or in something. My dad especially was thrilled with his burger and loved the tempeh we had as a side. My mum enjoyed her tart and my boyfriend and I enjoyed our rather filling fish and chips. Chips were very good here, and the fish was homemade with seaweed and soya protein and in cider batter. The brownie and caramel cheesecake we had after were both to die for...

The girl serving was in an amazing, friendly and helpful mood all day! No idea how she keeps it up but it was nice to be served by someone so happy and friendly (even if my mum and I feel weird about someone calling us madam ;) ).

The only thing that was a bit odd about this place was the decor. It was quite folksy café-ish, so I was expecting a certain standard of food. But it was actually really, really good with great service and presentation. It is not like it is shabby, it is just not as high class as the food, presentation and service. It isn't unclean or anything. I'm just saying that the food is more fantastic restaurant than café standard.

One little detail we loved: fresh herbs in pots on the table. So much more appropriate than dead flowers! There was also an unobtrusive collection of animal rights, veg*n and local interest leaflets and booklets downstairs outside the toilets. It made me feel more welcome and at home. ;)

We came here because Veggie Perrin's was shut, but I think we actually had a better time here than we would have had there. Both are excellent, but for me, this place slightly has the edge.

Pros: yummy food!!!, friendly service - free jug of water as you walk i, homemade vegan cheese and fish (not together!)

Cons: decor is fine, but not befitting the fantastic foo

Enjoyable trip to the Brasserie - Edit

I was pleased at the variety on the menu when i dropped in on a lunchtime. Having an all day vegan breakfast option is always a good start for any cafe i think.

The smoked tempeh, 'black pudding', oyster mushrooms and vine cherry tomatoes added a little something extra to a breakfast i might usually cook at home.

In a few weeks i'll be making a trip to try an evening meal, check out their menu online.

PS Try the Hot Chocolate! Best i've had in years.

Pros: Friendly/interested in feedback., Interesting and delicious, Central location

Return to Plymouth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Samphire Brasserie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3660 times since Apr 2013.