Samosa House West

• Vegetarian
Contact 310-398-6766

11510 W Washington Blvd (at Mc Laughlin, by Culver City), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90066

East Indian food grocery and deli-style vegetarian fast food service; previously named Bharat Bazaar and Samosa House. Counter service, casual seating, bus your own table. Food is kept warm in a glass case display with many main entrees from which to choose (some vegan, ask); plus a la carte snacks menu for order (samosas, dosas, pakora), and also Indian sweets and juices. The grocery section features a large selection of Indian spices, sauces, grains and legumes, ready-to-eat packaged dried as well frozen Indian foods, and a small selection of fresh vegetables. Expanded seating in 2012. Has parking lot.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by

India in the middle of culver city... - Edit

Nice place, with delicious samosas, aisles full of products, species and other delicatessen that will help your next curry. It feels local. Sitting are in a big room when tv screens broadcast of course Bollywood movies, staff doesn't speak much English but kind enough to make that all together it's a nice place to stop for a quick lunch ready to eat, fresh and tasteful.

Pros: Price, Concenience, Ready to eat

Cons: Sitting could be more comfortable

OK Place - Edit

Had lunch today. Friendly server helped me sort the vegan from non-vegan dishes. I had a combination plate and a samosa. Food was OK but not special. It was interesting to stroll in the supermarket but we were not adventurous enough to actually buy anything.

Casual, Fast, Cheap - Edit

Some years back I had read about this place on happycow, and have eaten here many times. Was just here June 2013, and here's my Samosa House West review update.

Samosa House (West) has been at this located for so many years, I used to eat & shop here when it was Bahat Bazaar & the Samosa House years ago. The owners also opened a second restaurant not far from this location (Samosa House East).

This location has under gone some expansion with a newly added, huge dining room. Very casual, large screen TV playing Bollywood musical. The setup is very casual, with the kitchen and steamtable display in straight back, tables for dining to the large side room, and tall shelves stocking Indian groceries (all vegetarian) all over.

Food selection is pretty simple. For the combo plate (I paid $8.50-ish), you choose 3 dishes, plus rice and naan. If you are vegan, let them know. The dishes on display are often not labeled if vegan or not.

The flavors are authentic though not spicy and slightly salty for me but still very flavorful. The kitchen certainly cater to American taste buds (not Indian spicy). The samosas are very tasty.

Grocery-wise, you will find all kinds of Indian cooking spices, herbs, grains, legume, and sauces in addition to jars of pickled things and ready-made packaged Indian curries/sauces/food. There is a small selection of fresh produce plus freezers for packaged frozen food. Definitely check the expiration date on the packaged & dry things you buy to be sure.

Pros: fast and cheap, get the samosas, compostable dining ware

All-veg Indian grocery and food - Edit

I come here to buy spices and cooking supplies and is always impressed with the selection. They sell everything one needs to make authentic Indian cuisine at home from scratch, like cinnamon sticks, different curry spices, cloves, lentils, fresh ginger, rice, chai. The family that runs this store and cafe is friendly and the service is prompt. This is a good place to try Indian food and buy some Indian spices.

PS. The garlic naan from the kitchen comes with ghee, so if you are vegan, ask for chapati or regular nann.

Pros: well stocked, cheap food, relaxed

Delicious! - Edit

My brother lives in LA and took me to this spot. I sampled almost all of the vegan dishes (there were plenty) and loved them! They even had a soy lassi. Highly recommended and love the grocery store that is attached. I will return.

Pros: Vegan friendly, variety, good value

JACKFRUIT RULES! - Edit

Wow, I was fortunate enough to be treated to Samosa House tonight! You approach the counter and (order the combo plate) and tell them what you want. My friend said Jackfruit is a REQUIREMENT! Make sure to tell them you don't want sour cream!!! They'll sub Tomato soup instead. You get your tray (order a samosa on the side, they are large enough to split) and you'll be in Indian Food Heaven. I hear some people bring their own plates to avoid the Styrofoam they use there. They have a recycling bin so you could bring Preserve Plastic plates. Great place, great parking! Some yogurt dishes, but make sure to confirm a dish is vegan your first time!

PS I've had the jackfruit at Pure Luck many a time and this place does it off the chart!

Pros: Jackfruit, Parking

Cons: Styrofoam

Samosa House is Addicting! - Edit

I ended up at the Samosa House on a whim, just driving by on a hungry afternoon. Since then, I have gone at least once a week for lunch, with co-workers, friends, family, and we have yet to be disappointed! The jackfruit is a MUST, and I've noticed I'm not the only one who feels that way. Their spinach pakora is a great treat, and the homemade roti is excellent. My sister has started going with her co-workers, too, and they've commented upon how great the paneer is and the puris. There's also a market on-site for mass quanitities of everything Indian (and some British), from spices to incense to cookware. The Bollywood music videos streaming from the wall-mounted TV are highly entertaining when there's a bit of a line for the buffet. This is not the place to go for "romantic dining" - this is the place to go for really, really good food. P.S. It's located about 1 block west of the DMV, on the same side of the street, in a brown building (some people have had a hard time finding it).

Pros: fresh, homemade daily, Friendly service, family-owned, 3-item combo for less than $7!

Cons: non-recyclable plates

disappointing - Edit

I wish that I could give Samosa House a good review. The staff was very friendly and I always want to support family owned and operated businesses. But this was one of the most disappointing Indian experiences I have had. I had never met a Samosa I didn't like...until today. It was incredibly oily and there was nary a pea to be found. Just a big, greasy mass of flavorless potato. Worst of all, about 15 minutes after eating it I became incredibly sick. I don't have a weak stomach and have never become ill from a dining experience, so this was quite the shock. My recommendation? Proceed cautiously.

Cons: zero ambiance, flavorless fare, potential health risk

Tasty food - Edit

It was great to find this place. It is hidden on Washington Blvd and Berryman in Culver City. I drive by it every day and was noticing the smell of good indian food when I had my top down in my car. Finally checked it out yesterday during lunch and wow I was not disappointed. I read some reviews online before I went to the store and can validate that there food and is service is good. I especially loved the fresh made mango lassi. I would go back and try different their different dishes as there is so much to choose from!

Pros: Tasty, Service

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Samosa House West closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2770 times since Aug 2007.