First Review by mjtindall

sit outside on a beautiful day - Edit

I've been to sammy t's twice for lunch and have enjoyed both my meals. Today I had the tempeh burger and sweet potato fries. Considering this restaurant is the only place you can go to get some "American comfort food" I think the food is ok. I appreciate having an option while in Fredericksburg, but I find the food to be a little bland and generic. Which is ok, but I don't leave thinking, "wow that was a great meal". The service is pretty good, food comes out pretty quickly, but the seating inside, wow, they could really use an update. The booth seats are not deep enough for not even a petite person. I was seated in a booth my first visit, then asked to sit outside and I sat outside today, I was lucky both days were so gorgeous. I give it 3 stars based on the food.... It's just ok.

Pros: outdoor seating, quick service, reasonable prices

Cons: uninspired food, generic options, uncomfortable indoor seating

Really tasty, but go fast! - Edit

I've heard that Sammy T's is being sold and that continuing the operation of the restaurant is not an agreement of the sale, so you definitely should go here before/if they close! It has a nice old-fashioned feel to it. I had friendly and extremely fast service (but then again, I went in the middle of the afternoon for lunch because I eat at weird times), so there weren't many other people there to serve besides my cousin and me. Lots of vegan options (and lots of vegetarian options, too!). I had the falafel, which was really good (big portions, amazing sauce), and they have amazing sweet potato fries (a must-try! but the "small" seemed really large to me...it was more than enough for my cousin and me to share). I definitely would go back/plan to go back again before it gets sold!

Pros: Nice location, Friendly service, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Kind of dark inside, Seats weren't super comfy

Sammy T's a good choice - Edit

Fun place on Caroline Street in Old Town Fredericksburg. Has nice ambiance, folksy farm art on the walls. Several good salad choices, at least 2 vegan soups on the menu, black bean burger and falafel are both deep fried, but taste good. Great neighborhood restaurant/bar type ambiance. Mostly booths that can fit 2 or 4 comfortably. I will definitely go again...

Pros: Extensive vegan/vegetarian menu, Comfortable and affordable, Beer and wine/full bar available

Cons: Deep fried foods

"Slow" Service??? What's Your Hurry? - Edit

Nothing new to add to the already-four-star reviews except to comment on 2 things: The service ain't slow, people. You're just in the south. Those of us who are from the south don't experience this as "slow" service. We are used to the heat and realize this is how we all move when it's hot. Rushing around just ain't gonna cut it.
And the second thing is, much as I love Sammy T's vegan selections, it's always so crowded inside that I love to eat outside when the weather permits to avoid the noisy chatter inside. plus i get to absorb the downtown ambience and people-watch whenever I can. However, I can't believe no one mentioned how dirty those outside metal cafe tables are! There are no tablecloths for them, just those typical metal tables with holes the same size as chicken wire where food and drink spills are all over it. is it possible they don't wash these things?? last time i was there, i was completely grossed out by it and i vowed to bring my own tablecloth the next time.
Better yet, I'm just gonna write a nice letter to the owner/manager about this because it's just a shame that this is the only complaint - and a glaring one at that! - that i have. if it weren't for this, i'd give it 5 cows...

Pros: Entire section of Yummy Vegan Selections, Very Friendly & Conscientious Waitstaff, Healthy Cuisine, Ample Portions

Cons: Noisy Inside, Dirty Cafe Tables Outside

Pleasant Vegan Options - Edit

We have been here a few times and each time found the same experience. The staff is a bit slow but they are friendly. There is a separate section for vegetarian/vegan options but nothing special. We have never seen anything in the specials section that is vegan. We did find the prices are really high considering there are no sides, everything is ala carte. We found the meals to be bland and just okay but hey, they do have vegan options!

Pros: Vegan Options, Gorgeous Downtown Location, Friendly Staff

Cons: Slow Staff, A bit Pricey, No side dishes

Local F'Burg Vegetarian option - Edit

Sammy T's has numerous vegetarian and vegan options and the quality is good. They staff if friendly but not overly knowledgeable.

Pros: Good Food, Veg/vegan options

Nothing Special - Edit

I like the relazed atmosphere here and it's a cool place to grab a beer/coffee and chill. But it's not exactly a vegan Meca. Their vegan options are typical: Veggie burger, hummus, salad, tofu. The food was okay but nothing unique or special.

LOVE! - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania. I'm the only vegan in my family so when going out to eat, this is everyone's first choice as a restaurant that will provide everyone with a delicious meal. No boring salads for me! I've never had anything I don't love, and neither has anyone I know. The service isn't always quick, no, but staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and I'm usually too busy talking with my party to notice slow service - great atmosphere. Great selection of vegan menu items, oftentimes vegan specials, and even vegan dessert! Do not miss this restaurant, vegan or not. 5 STARS! (Can only give 4 because the restaurant isn't completely veg.)

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good price

Excellent options - Edit

I've lived in Fredericksburg for 4 years at this point and regularly make my way to Sammy T's when I'm in need of some good vegan/veg food. I have my favorites, but appreciate that they always have veg-friendly specials to try. Their homemade lentil burger with lemon tahini sauce is delish and a big portion. Paired with a half-basket of fries or sweet potato fries and I'm in heaven. Service is slow, but friendly and the dining room has a quirky charm. Also offer local wines and beers, which is nice.

Pros: Great food, Daily specials, Lots of options

Cons: Slow service

Non Vegetarian

Contributions +11

Haven't Eaten There in Years but.... - Edit

I used to eat at Sammy T's often back in the 80's. My dining experiences were always satisfying. I am not vegetarian/vegan and found their menu to have an excellent mixture of fare that will cover everyone from vegan to a complete carnivore. I had occasion to sample selections from all sections of the menu and do recommend their homemade veggie burgers if they still make them. I very rarely eat at restaurants anymore for various reasons but if I was in "Old Town Fredericksburg" and Sammy T's is open and I am hungry I would not hesitate to eat there. Excellent atmosphere and excellent very friendly staff.

Great selection, crappy service - Edit

Wonderful mix of vegan, vegetarian, and omnivore dishes. All sandwiches are served alone, so you have to get fries or chips a la carte if you desire and make sure to split them--it's a big basket! Favorites: black bean cakes, the Jordan, and the avocado melt. While the food is great, the service sucks. Everytime I've been there, the waitresses have taken forever and it feels like they condescend to wait on you. But who cares, a menu full of delicious vegan/vegetarian options compensates and the vibe is fun! Bowls of water are provided outdoors for anyone who brings their dog and sits under the awning. Bar has copious local beers to choose from.

Sammy T's Rocks - Edit

I have been a Sammy T's regular for about 8 years and I can honestly say that I have never had a bad meal there. Everything there is tasty and since it serves both vegetarian and none vegetarian meals it keeps everyone happy. If you don't know what get I recommend the lentil burger and half basket of fries-super basic and super good! Plus they have a seperate dinning room for smokers and non-smokers so whatever your prefences it that respect you will find what you want!

Pros: Lots of Choices, Good Food, Nice sized portions

Cons: no vegan deserts, uncomfortable seats

A Great Vegan/Vegetarian Eatery! - Edit

Sammy T's was actually the first vegan friendly restaurant I have been too since becoming a vegan and it was a great experience! The menu is clearly marked as to which items are vegan or vegetarian. I had the black bean cakes and hummus dip. Both were delicious. Great atmosphere.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

Cons: smokers

Return to Fredericksburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sammy T's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2723 times since Aug 2007.