Samasati Restaurant

Contact 800-563-9643

Hone Creek, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Open air restaurant and bar at Samasati Nature Retreat overlooking a view of jungle and sea. Vegetarian meals and occasionally fish are served-buffet style, three times a day.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Buffet, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Costa Rican, Non-veg

First Review by SIVI01

Hidden Treasure - Edit

After a very quick planned trip to Costa Rica my husband choose this place mostly bc we love to support vegetarian establishments. I really didn't know what to expect other than it is a yoga retreat. After we made the haul up the very long bumpy gravel driveway up the mountain.. I still didn't know how this was going to work out. We checked in on a pavilion type building overlooking Puerto Viejo and the Caribbean ocean. The weather was perfect that far up. We were surrounded by the jungle. When they brought us to our house my husband asked for wifi and they said the only wifi they offered was in the reception area which is also where the meals were served. That was a little shocking to me but I went with it. Once inside there were two single beds presented very lovely and there was spiral set of stairs in the corner and up there was a full bed. The whole house was opened with nothing but tiny Windows all around lined with screens to keep out bugs. There was a deck you could open a snap out there was a hammock. I was a bit shocked, I didn't realize I was in for a whole week of being off the grid. The bathroom was very nice for being in an outdoor establishment. There was honestly everything there that a person could need. Once I got over myself and the fact I wouldn't be up my phones butt for a few days it was awesome. I didn't want to leave. Samasati also gave you the option for breakfast (be sure to tell them you are vegan they will take care of the rest), lunch or dinner. The package we chose came with breakfast and I must say we were absolutely blow away!!!!! The food that was prepared for us while we were there was out of this world. Being a yoga centric retreat my husband and I joked fruit and maybe oatmeal, but they really brought out all of the stops rice and beans, fruit (so much wonderful fruit), fried plantains. We discussed to have dinners couple of night and it was just so wonderful. Do yourself a favor even if it is for one night please make a stay at the Samasati -- you will not regret it. Edit: prepare yourself for a real
Jungle stay howler monkeys and all!!

Cons: none

Amazing vegetarian food in the Jungle - Edit

Food at Samasati is amazing. The meals are offered buffet style; we had typical Costa Rican food (delicious!) mixed with international cuisine. Plenty of rich and fresh vegetables, wonderful dishes made with beans and grains, fresh and juicy fruits ...a real treat to the palate. The cooks blend in Caribbean spices and flavors like coconut for example with indian spices; fish is available upon request and we have had some fish filet Caribbean style that was delicious.
I have seen dishes for vegan clients who were staying while I was there and they looked very yummy ! I recommend Samasati to everyone!!

Return to Puerto Viejo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Samasati Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 770 times since Jul 2010.