First Review by Bob Sultan

an upmarket vegetarian restaurant - Edit

Went there for New Year's eve celebration and weren't disappointed. The menu is big, translated into English and has photos for every dish. It's handy because waiters don't speak much English there.The food is delicious, exquisitely cooked and presented. We ordered 5 dishes and each one was very tasty. The portions aren't big, though, so for 2 people it was just enough, and came to 230 yuan. Not very expensive, considering the quality of food, but definitely not the cheapest veggy restaurant in Xiamen. The restaurant is in a beautiful location, on a lake, and occupies 4 floors. 1st floor is a cafe, 2nd - restaurant, 3rd - a shop with Buddhist theme. All beautifully and expensively decorated.

Pros: great food, nice location, beautiful interior

Cons: small portions

The Name Says it All - Edit

There is no question; this is culinary Samadhi. If you are lucky enough to find yourself in the beautiful city of Xiamen, then do not miss this restaurant. Of the 25 restaurants I've reviewed for Happy Cow, this might be my favorite. And the restaurant is quite easy to find (unusual in China). It is correctly located on the Happy Cow map. It is located right on Yudang Road, facing South on Yudang Lake. The sign is big and clear. This is an upscale and very attractive area of Xiamen with many non-Chinese restaurants. The bottom floor is a coffee shop. The restaurant occupies the two floors above the coffee shop. It is modern, clean, comfortable, light, spacious, and tastefully decorated. The night I was there, it was packed with Chinese diners (including one monk). There were several large parties celebrating the Chinese New Year. The menu is large and attractive. Things looked so good that I ordered three dishes. I ordered a hand roll, the Japanese Barbecue, and a tofu appetizer (I forget the name). The hand roll was just great. Very tasty combination of vegetables and fruit topped with a bit of mayo. The tofu appetizer was equally excellent. There were two squares of tofu sandwiching a piece of light mock-meat all tied together in a package by a long mushroom. Excellent, slightly spicy ginger sauce with fermented bean. The Japanese Barbecue had mock meat and tofu with vegetables on skewers. It was very light and tasty, in an excellent brown sauce. I hope that I'm managing to convey that this was a truly gourmet experience. My tab came to 66 rmb for the three dishes which I think is a moderate price. This is in line with what I paid at the excellent Da Fang Restaurant in Xiamen, but Samadhi is really a step above Da Fang as an eating experience. Enjoy!!!

Pros: Truly Gourmet Experience, Relaxing and Comfortable Ambiance, Great Value

Return to Xiamen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Samadhi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.