REMOVED: Salt n' Pepper

• Veg-friendly

Contact 504-561-6070

400 Iberville St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70130

Serves meat, vegan options available. A mix of Indian and Pakastani food. Primarily all meat except for a vegetable biryani, a falafel wrap, and some Indian breads. Dairy used. NOT SUITABLE FOR VEGANS. REMOVED.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Delivery, Take-out, Pakistani, Non-veg

First Review by button

vegetarian fare! - Edit

I was glad to find something in New Orleans beside frenchfries! It was good- had the appetizer falafel and the ras malai for dessert-never had that before-it was interesting-but I'm more vegan than vegetarian.

Pros: veggie options

Cons: has meat

I love Salt n' Pepper - Edit

You watch your food being cooked and they are very accommodating. You want a veg curry; just tell them what veggies you want. The naan is vegan and it's delicious. I had the lentil curry, just tell them you are vegan when you order.

It's a small place, so if it's busy, say right at lunch time, you might want to come back later. I didn't think it was expensive, especially for NOLA.

Pros: lots of options, fresh, friendly

Fine food - Edit

We have been in New Orleans over Christmas, and were struggling to find a place to eat on Christmas Day. Salt n' Pepper were open, and they served good authentic Indian food in a friendly informal atmosphere. They didn't have all the dishes on the menu, but instead suggested a special dish based on the fresh vegetables they had. It was a little pricy but the food was fine.

Friendly staff and very good food! - Edit

The staff was very friendly. They asked us, if we like it mild or spicy. We ordered spicy and the guy even came to our table and asked if it's spicy enough or too much. The food was delicious! There was a difference between Indian food, i guess that's because they're Pakistani and that's their way of preparing those dishes. If you're a vegetarian and order a Paneer dish, you can truly tell that they're making the paneer all by themselves and don't use convenience stuff. We went there two times and regretted, that we didn't make it a third time! It's a perfect place for people that like authentic cuisine, would give 5 stars if it was possible!

Disappointing - Edit

We were in the Quarter and thought this place would be delicious based off their menu. I've had all these dishes at other restaurants before, and it was terrible here.

My wife and I were hungry, but neither of us could palate the food and had to go elsewhere for dinner.

Pros: Location

Cons: Food

Vegan Friendly - Edit

The staff could not be nicer and they are very aware of what items are vegan. I really appreciated the service. The restaurant is just a little hole in the wall but I thought the food was very good. Get it to go and take it to the park for better ambiance.

Pros: Vegan friendly

Gooood food, very vegan friendly - Edit

So, the outward appearance is, as others note, sketchy to say the least. But, but! The food is great. Was at a convention in veg-unfriendly NOLA with my meat consuming companions. This place worked for everyone. The proprietor is very friendly, and knowledgeable. All, or almost all the Indian cuisine is vegan -- even the Naan. It does tend to be on the hot side, so be aware. My work companions suggested the second visit, which is rare. They usually follow me somewhere once per trip!

Pros: Excellent Food, Vegan, Friendly proprietor

Cons: Ambiance, Ambiance

dig it - Edit

I've gotta say, I was kinda skeptical when I walked into this little hole in the wall. But I was excited to see a statement at the bottom of the menu that all vegetable dishes are vegan or vegetarian (only one dish contains dairy). I ordered dahl and rice, and the server reassured me that it was vegan. It was delicious- pretty spicy but wonderful with the long grain rice. I also had some of my friend's chana and it was really good. I want to go back and try all of the other vegetable dishes on the menu. The people there are really friendly and the place has a reputation for being darn tasty. I encourage you to give it a try.

Pros: dahl, cooks are vegan informed, easy to find- close to canal st.

Cons: a little grimy

excited to exhaust menu - Edit

Definitely agree with "shpicy-kins!" but all-due-respect disagree with "dumpy". Yep, it's small but I was impressed that the chairs, tables and even the floors were very clean. The guy taking my (vegan) order was super accommodating, friendly and informative. It's places like this that help us spicy-phobic people start to come around. Yum.

Pros: yummy, informative for vegans, delicious

Cons: small

Spicy! - Edit

Call this English vegan a candy a** but the food here was shpicy-kins! Oooooh! The owners, Khan family were super friendly and accomodating, and even brought me a freebie for my burned cake hole. It was rather a "greasy spoon" but that didn't bother me and my bro at all, reminded us of home. If you don't eat meat, and don't want to starve in New Orleans, go to Salt and Pepper :)

Pros: lots of options, super kind staff

Cons: spicy

Not Impressed - Edit

There are plenty of veg options, which is nice, but it took sooo long to get our food. When it finally came, it was not very good. I expected more food for the $ and the wait. Then the waitress messed up our check and over-charged us. After explaining it to her twice, she finally fixed it. The atmosphere is that of a truck stop, but the location is nice if you're a vegan in the French Quarter. Give it a shot, everyone else seems to love it.

Pros: Location

Cons: Atmostphere, Service

Vegan friendly - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised when I mentioned I was vegan to the fellow taking our order. He stated all the vegetable dishes were dairy and butter free. I felt confident in the chick pea dish was vegan. The guy brought out a yogurt dip to go with the fried veggies ( I believe it was potatoes and onions) for my husband and stated "this is not for you, it's yogurt dip". I appreciated this. The chick peas were satisfying. My husband got a meat dish and he enjoyed his dish as well. Local Indian folks were the main clientele.

Pros: Confident eating vegan food, Good food

Much love, much love indeed - Edit

Ok, sometimes it can be a bit greasy, but not enough to cause real problems. All of the veg curries are fantastic. There are usually 4 or so a day. The aloo ghobi (potato cauliflower) and the dal are my favorites. My boyfriend likes the channa (chickpea). Ask for it spicy. Their nan is the best I have ever had and is $1. The somosas are light and flaky and very fresh. I would eat here every day if it didn't mean becoming obese. The prices have gone up over the years. The went from dirt cheap to moderately inexpensive. If you order a side of rice, make sure to order a half order because even that is too big.

Pros: fresh, "substitution" friendly, open late

Cons: no ambience

Pretty darn good for a hole in the wall - Edit

My hubby and I are vegan, and were please to find this place in the un-vegfriendly city of New Orleans. It's just a little take out joint with a few tables to eat in, but the food is pretty darn good for a hole in the wall. The owner was very adamant that he does NOT use dairy in anything. Try the okra: it's not slimy and is delish.

Tasty hole-in-the-wall - Edit

This place is a bit dumpy, but the food was tasty and the staff is super friendly. It's also convenient to the touristy center of New Orleans

Pros: Conveniently located, Vegan options, Friendly staff

Cons: A bit Dingy, NO decor

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: Salt n' Pepper closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3965 times since Mar 2008.