Sally Ann's Cafe and Market

• ( 1 review )

52 N Water St, Lubec, Maine, USA, 04652

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small cafe preparing sandwiches and salads for takeaway with a focus on plant-based ingredients. Choices change daily but may include mock chicken salad, quinoa salad, and vegan wraps. Sources local ingredients. Open Mon 7:00am-3:00pm, Fri-Sat 7:00am-3:00pm, Sun 8:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Honey, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by NorthernStar

NorthernStar

Points +274

Vegetarian
17 Jul 2019

Fresh Vegetarian Breakfast

I'm leaving a review of 4-stars for the quality of the vegetarian food, though I do have some qualifications...

As neither the Lubec Brewing Company or Cohill's Inn are open for breakfast, I believe this is the best source for vegetarian breakfast in the area. That is a big plus! That being said, vegan options for breakfast were limited to bagels with either hummus or "vegan spread" (not sure what that entails). Granola was on the menu but it came with yogurt and the only vegan milk seamed to be coconut creamer upon request.

We had a slice of veggie and cream cheese frittata and a build-one's-own breakfast sandwich with egg, kale, cheese, tomato and basil (around $10 each without fruit or potatoes). The food was delicious, fresh and prepared with obvious care. That being said, it was quite pricey for the portions. I'm not sure if that is a function of New York pricing or of the fact that it's a short season in a remote area. The muffins were over $4. We tried to order pesto on the breakfast sandwich but they were out. The kitchen added a bit of chopped basil to the sandwich, which was tasty, but still charged the full $1.50 as if we had added pesto. We also got a cheese and veggie sandwich to go for lunch in the car and a serving of their vegan mock tuna salad made of chickpeas. Both were tasty and fresh (though the mock tuna could use more flavor) but also lightly filled for $8 and $5 respectively.

I also agree with some other online reviewers that the energy and/or attitude of some of the staff erred on the frenetic to grouchy/prickly. (I've worked in food service and know it is stressful, so I don't say this as an off-hand comment).

The space is bright and cozy and the food is certainly high quality. For the area I would return. If it was elsewhere I might consider other options depending on the experience of subsequent visits.

Pros: High quality food, Charming space w/outdoor seating overlooking water, Nice veg options for the area

Cons: On pricy side for the portions, Prickly attitudes from some staff, Vegans would probably like more options

Return to Lubec Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sally Ann's Cafe and Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.