Salaam Bombay

Contact +36-1-411-1252

Mérleg utca, V. ker. (at near Széchenyi Tér), Budapest, Hungary, 1051

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a vegetarian menu on weekdays of which some items are vegan suitable. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by Forbala

not impressed - much better options in Budapest - Edit

I'm vegan and was happy to read the great reviews and about the great options they would have on offer. Firstly they had ran out of vegetable samosas, and would not prepare the main dish my girlfriend wanted (it was 9pm and the place was open until 11pm but it was too late apparently to prepare it). The portion of popaduma we got was tiny for the price (3 sauces, 2 popadums broken in halves). Then I asked if they had Saag Aloo as I could not see it on the menu - they said they could prepare it as a main course. I happily agreed. When the dish came (see photo) it was not at all what I expected. I cook Indian myself and this was made with all the wrong spices and blended, frozen spinach. Why offer it if you can't make it properly - and they charged me a full main course price when another Saag dish was two thirds of the price? And my gf's dish was a grey, tasteless mess. Really disappointed.

Pros: really friendly service

Cons: expensive for Budapest, tasteless food, small portion sizes

Nice Indian and vegan friendly - Edit

This is not a vegan restaurant but it has many options for vegans. Food is tasty but hot! They use lentils paste in many of the dishes so some will not like the browny look of the dish.
Portions are big!
Service was good in the first two times I'v been there but lazy on the last visit.

Pros: Tasty, Diversity, Price

Cons: Food may be too hot, Browny look

Not really a health food restaurant - Edit

I live Santa Monica CA, so pretty spoiled on organic food sources. I am staying around the corner in the 4-Seasons Hotel so I walked over to check it out. This is a standard Indian cuisine restaurant, not organic and not a health food restaurant. The salad was that too, no baby greens, it was regular head lettuce.

They had a service fee on the check, so I asked if that was the tip and the waiter said it was for the restaurant owner, so I left and additional 20% tip for the waiter anyway. I just thought that was odd.

I will keep looking, but probably just find a real health food store and or the closes farmers market and eat in my room as usual.

Pros: Clean, Good area of the city

Cons: dark street, Difficult to park, not organic

a great indian - Edit

I love Salaam Bombay, we have been there a couple of times as we live in the neighborhood, they have a lot of veggie options, whatever we tried was superdelicious. It can be quite full in the evenings, a lot of indians come to eat there as well. The system doesn't allow me to give a 5 star rating as it is not a completely vegetarian restaurant, but the food definitely deserves all 5 happy cow "stars":)

Pros: tasty fresh made foods, central location , decent environment

Cons: can't tell any...

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Salaam Bombay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2151 times since Aug 2011.