Contact 030-2304983

Voorstraat 68, Utrecht, Netherlands, 3512 AS

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vietnamese restaurant at walking distance from Central Station. Has separate menu of vegGIE dishes, including vege pork, chicken, and shrimp. Menu is translated into English, however not all staff speak English - be sure to know the Dutch "ik ben veganist." Gets busy especially on the weekend, so book ahead. Mon-Sun 4:00pm-10:30pm

Category: Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by SuzyQ

Vegetarian fish and meat - Edit

Have you ever heard of vegetarian duck or vegetarian shrimps? Well, I hadn't! But at Saigon they have all types of 'fake' meat and fish. Great for vegetarians who miss or don't want to miss out on the taste and texture of that specific ingredient. I really like the dishes at Saigon, they have a range of different dishes for vegetarians. Especially making rice paper rolls is a lot of fun! Sharing food, filling the paper rolls with crispy salad, herbs and fried vegetables or 'fake' meat and chicken, it's great. I'll be coming here more often :)

Pros: Range of vegetarian dishes, Explore the taste of 'fake' meat and fish, Nice price, good quality, never disappointed

Cons: Some things may be a bit too spicy, Don't eat the sweet you'll get at the end, yuck ;), A bit hidden away at the Voorstraat

Too pricey - Edit

Nice atmosphere, friendly personnel…
The food is way overpriced!

I had ricepaper-springrolls (€18). Apart from my ‘’meat’’, I mostly got a lot of herbs, a bit of cucumber, lettuce and rice noodles. All very basic ingredients and in not so much quantity.

The ‘’duck’’ is very nice though, but everything is just too expensive!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 02, 2016

Pros: meat substitutes

Cons: price - quality/quantity

Great! - Edit

I believe this is the best omni restaurant I been visiting for many years. We had the vegetarian dinner for two persons and it was really delicious. Not sure if it was necessary to stress out that I don't want fish sauce or oyster sauce or anything with shrimps involved, but I did that anyway, due to bad experience with "vegetarian" dishes in many other Asian restaurants (especially Thai). Well, probably it was not necessary here. A funny detail: we had to roll the rice paper spring rolls ourselves, after an instruction by a friendly staff member. I found the plastic device they re using to wet the rice paper so interesting that I bought one right away (they sell them). Using it you get exactly the right quantity of water and it doesn't use a lot of space...

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, variety of veggie dishes

this was really good! - Edit

This restaurant is fairly classy for a good price! The food was really good, especially recommend the rice paper rolls with vegetarian "duck" as well as the vegetarian "pork" curry. You do have to ask for the vegetarian menu:)

Really tasty vegan dishes! - Edit

Vietnamees food is my new favourite cuisine! The vegan soup is delicious; a tiny bit sweet mixed with sour, salty and spicy. The main dishes are delish as well! In the Netherlands it's hard to find a good Vietnamees restaurant with many vegan choices on the menu, so we were positively surprised. Good service and affordable prices.

Pros: Vegan meat options, Good, fast service, It smells nice in the reastaurant :)

Great food - Edit

Nice and cozy plaze. Staff and serving is good and swift.
Had a vegetarian duck dish which was awesome... Taste very close to the real thing. Plenty of food. Also had some veggie egg rolls which hit the spot ! :) Definitely worth a visit !

Pros: Nice staff, quick serving, fair price

Popular, pricey, but good - Edit

I had a good meal. I wasn't full when I left, but I enjoyed the food. The staff understood the concept of veganism very well and explained clearly which dish wasn't vegan and why not. The veg-pork was quite good. I had some fried noodles and veggies and the taste was nicely balanced. Not exquisite, but for the price of the food I had no complaints. The price of the drinks however was quite high. A Saigon beer would go for as much as 4,50 which strikes me as a bit steep, but I don't know much about special beers, so maybe that's normal... I would certainly recommend this to any vegan or vegetarian looking for something in Utrecht.

One of my favourites - Edit

Merely saying this restaurant is vegetarian friendly is selling them short; this place offers a full range of vegetarian dishes, not just two or three options. It is the only restaurant in Utrecht that offers us as many choices as meat-eaters would have in other restaurants.

Emphasis is on 'mock meat': vegetarian 'duck', vegetarian 'pork' etc. although there are also tofu-based dishes. There is an explanation on the menu about how these mock meats are made and what they contain.

Saigon is well known in the Vietnamese community in Holland, it is very common to see Vietnamese families dining here. They obviously have a good name to keep up, and you can taste the effort they put into this. Do ask for the springrolls you can roll yourselves, they are tasty, fun, and come with an enormous bunch of letuce and herbs.

Service is always friendly, although language can sometimes be a problem, not all the staff speak Dutch. Most of them do speak English to some degree.

Saigon also has a back door, where you can order take-away food.

Pros: A lot of options, friendly service

Cons: Language can be a problem

Return to Utrecht Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saigon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2173 times since Nov 2008.