CLOSED: Saigon Restaurant

Contact 912-232-5288

4 W Broughton St, Savannah, Georgia, USA, 31401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Combining Thai and Vietnamese cooking techniques. Mostly meat menu but has tofu option instead of meat in some dishes. Vegans to specify. Spring rolls, summer rolls, garlic scallion eggplant. Small and quiet, nicely designed, with casual dress. JUL 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING - REMOVED. Open for lunch and dinner.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Vietnamese, Pan Asian, Non-veg

First Review by Juliette83

Mediocre - Edit

The service was speedy and the waiters were knowledgable in the contents of the menu and ingredients of individual dishes, eg fish sauce etc. shame the food was mediocre - the Dishes we ordered were bland and contained very few varieties of vegetables. We had a mix of Thai and Vietnamese dishes.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 12, 2012

Pros: Good service, Knowledgeable staff

Food okay, service sleepy. - Edit

I think Saigon's trying too hard to be hip.

Service was spotty at this trendy-looking Vietnamese/Thai mash-up. We entered the place to find a few hipster servers huddled together in conversation. We stood awkwardly inside the entryway for a minute until one of them finally acknowledged and seated us. This was clearly not a good indication of where things could go.

Excited to find a place that offers vegetarian Vietnamese dishes, we decided to stick with the Vietnamese menu. We started with the Goi Cuon (Vietnamese Summer Rolls); rice paper wrappers were stuffed with shredded lettuce, rice noodles, cilantro, and bits of tofu. These were really bland; their makeup seemed to be 90% gluey rice noodles, 9% lettuce, and 1% unseasoned tofu. I bet the non-vegetarian rolls (made with shrimp and pork) have much more flavor; the veggie version almost seemed like a poorly constructed afterthought. However, the peanut sauce which accompanied them was tasty enough to compensate. I could eat the sauce with a spoon and be very happy.

For our main dish, we went with the Saigon Noodles; these wide, flat rice noodles were refreshingly light, with fried tofu and crisp veggies in a barely-there curry sauce. The predominant flavor was lemongrass, with a hint of garlic and ginger. I've never had a dish quite like this, and I must say we rather enjoyed it.

Once our food came out, it's like we ceased to exist. No one really came to check up on us, and it took a while to have our water glasses refilled. Again, the servers were busy talking amongst themselves. But after some forced eye contact, we were able to score a bit of attention. Check, please!

Not an amazing experience, but the food was good overall and it was nice to have some veggie Vietnamese offerings. A bit of floor management could fix much of what ails this place. I would be willing to give it another shot.

Pros: Veggie Vietnamese!, Decent portion size

Cons: Inattentive waitstaff

This is good food - Edit

Savannah is a bit of a wasteland for vegans, so of course we turned to Asian food, which pretty much always works. The food was quite tasty (I had the Cashew Nuts stir fry under the Thai menu). They have a large menu so there are a number of vegan dishes to choose from. My husband loved his food, too, and it was presented in a wall of rice, which was impressive. (Hard to describe but very cool.) Our waiter was nice and helpful up front but then literally never came back to check on us - weird.

Pros: Delicious, Good portions

Cons: So-so service, Oily

Delicious! - Edit

This place is great!
They are very accommodating to vegans, all you have to do is ask! The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is nice.

They have some expensive dishes and some moderately priced ones, so don't let the $13 ones scare you off (all of those dishes are the meat ones anyway).

Try the Saigon Noodles with no egg and with tofu. Since I moved out of Savannah, I have been searching for a restaurant that serves a dish like it, but have had no luck, and I crave it ALL the time.
Their tofu is the perfect texture as well. Not too mushy, not too crunchy.

Pros: Great food, friendly staff, Enough portions for leftovers!

Cons: Serves meat, I guess?

Yummy! - Edit

This is definitely my favorite place to eat in Savannah. The staff is wonderful and more than willing to cater to vegans. It is a tad pricey but the food is worth it! Saigon has the BEST tofu I have ever eaten in my life!! Don't miss this restaurant if you live in or are visiting Savannah.

Pros: great staff, best tofu ever!

Delicious! - Edit

Tried some unique vegetarian dishes at Saigon during a visit to Savannah. It was a perfect beginning to the night in downtown, historical Savannah! I recommend all vegetarians to give it a try!

Pros: Excellent food, Good Value, Friendly staff

Cons: Not 100% vegetarian

Return to Savannah Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Saigon Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 213 times since Apr 2010.