Saigon Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 808-243-9560

1792 Lower Main St (at Maui), Wailuku, Hawaii, USA, 96793

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vietnamese food. On the last page of the menu is a vegetarian section where most items contain tofu. No mock meats. A couple dishes contain egg (ie. egg noodle). Veg food include spring rolls, tofu with curry and lemongrass, stir fry flat rice noodle with tofu, hot and sour soup, etc. Directions: There's no visible signage and the location is actually at the corner of Lower Main St and Kaniela St, which are a bit hard to find. It's not on the main Main St, best to consult a map beforehead.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Daisygirl

Much-improved since last reviewed - Edit

We were skeptical given the earlier reviews but given the proximity to the airport it was a practical choice for us. We were pleasantly surprised. Whatever mapping or address issues in the past seem to be resolved--it's in a slightly odd place requiring a number of turns under the highway but google maps guided us there without a hitch. We sat outside which we loved. The inside is fine too, if a bit plain.

The dedicated vegetarian section has a lot of offerings, and staff understood leaving off egg, and which noodles were egg-based. Plenty for vegans to choose from. Nothing tasted fishy or meaty (as another reviewer stated) and the place seemed very clean and well-run. The food was all quite tasty--it's the standard vietnamese fare but nicely done. There was a hot and sour soup that is a bit of an unusual offering, and we liked it. We like spicy stuff and so put chili sauce on everything. ;-) They have an extensive wine list. The waiter was very friendly and seemed to know a number of the customers, always a good sign.

Prices...well the whole island is expensive, this seemed about on par for what it is. A meal for two with drinks was $45 before tip.

Vietnamese food with veg options - Edit

On a past trip to Maui our friends brought us to Saigon Cafe, mentioned that they offer some vegetarian food. It was our first time eating at this restaurant. We wanted to explore what veg options are available in Maui.

The restaurant was a bit tricky to find, and we found it only after calling for directions. The exterior is very pleasant with mint and basil plants growing outside by the sidewalk. There is a bench for seating next to a little fish pond. The interior is separated into 2 sections, and we opted for the tables in the enclosed patio.

From the vegetarian section of the menu my husband and I ordered the buddha spring rolls (4 very small finger-size rolls stuffed with veggies, herbs, tofu, $7.95), the green papaya salad (garnished with julienned carrots, crushed peanuts, baked tofu slices, $7.95), the stir fry rice noodle (with green onions and baked tofu slices in a brown sauce, I think it cost $12.95), and and brown rice.

Overall, I thought the food was pretty tasty. The green papaya salad was light and refreshing, the stir fry rice noodle was tasty, and the brown rice was well cooked. My only complaint would be that the spring rolls were too tiny. Saigon Cafe in Wailuku is a good veg option when you want try something different than the health food store deli food.

Average - Edit

Very friendly service. Decent food, although, the vegan/vegetarian dishes had a strong seafood/meaty taste. I predict that the cooking utensils were not washed in between the dishes. I would probably make a request for this to be done if I was going to eat here again (probably not anytime soon). I understand that it is hard work to have a restaurant and I don't mean to write a negative comment. My hope is to share my experience with other vegans and if by chance the owner is reading this comment, and if he/she would like to broaden the restaurant clientele, this can serve as suggestion for future improvement.

Pros: Several vegan dishes, friendly staff

Cons: Seafoos/meaty taste in the vegan dishes

Return to Wailuku Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saigon Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 710 times since Apr 2010.