Sage Vegetarian Restaurant

• Vegetarian
Contact 919-968-9266

1129 Weaver Dairy Rd Unit X, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, 27514

Cozy, romantic cafe serving vegetarian cuisine with a Middle Eastern flair. Wrap, sandwiches, soups, organic salad at dinnertime, and more. Lunch prices are moderate, dinner slightly more.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Middle Eastern

First Review by micococo

Sage is a vegan kind of place! - Edit

All the right stuff. More than four vegan entrees, three good began soups, an organic salad, and a dessert option! Well done Sage! Oh, the Happy Cow sticker is in the window!

Sage is delicious! Perfect for date night. - Edit

My favorite dish is the Caribe. An amazing and flavorful Caribbean-inspired combination including grilled tofu, plantains, black beans, saffron rice, avocado, pineapple and a cucumber salad garnish. A generous portion that will leave you very satisfied. I've tried a few of the other dishes but this one is the best in my opinion. They also usually have at least one vegan dessert on the menu.

They don't split checks for larger parties so plan accordingly.

Pros: cozy atmosphere

Cons: a little pricey

Unique, tasty food - Edit

Nice upscale veg place where most options are also vegan. Food has a Persian influence but also a few Italian dishes (including the gnocchi, which was amazing). I was with a group of non-vegans and everyone really enjoyed their food- I don't remember the names of the dishes (other than the gnocchi) but we had an eggplant dish and spinach/tempeh/kidney bean dish both served with brown rice, and a Caribbean inspired dish with black beans, grilled tofu, grilled pineapple and plantains. The Persian iced team was also really good. They had a vegan chocolate cake for dessert but I was so full I couldn't try it- based on how good the rest of the meal was probably a mistake! It's a little outside of town but worth the trip if you're in the area!!

Pros: creative dishes, nice ambiance

Cons: a little pricey

2 Responses

ANDREWatSAGE Thanks for the really nice review. Myself and the Sage team are really happy you enjoyed your meal and it's awesome that you shared this experience with everyone here on HappyCow. I must admit, passing on the Vegan Chocolate Cake was definitely a mistake as it is one of my personal favorites, but I do admire your willpower! Please come back and see us, and if you mention this review we'll bring you a piece of Vegan Chocolate Cake on the house! This way you will have to try it. If the server or our cashier seem confused and I am not available, please tell them "Andrew Justad will take care of it" and I will!! Thanks again for the positivity, keep it going, the only way to change the world is one person (or animal!) at a time!!

Best veg restaurant in Chapel Hill! - Edit

Best vegetarian restaurant in Chapel Hill. I've been several times and everything on the menu I've had is great. It's small and can get packed so you might want to call ahead of time on a weekend.

I'm vegan and they have plenty to choose from.

Sage was so so - Edit

for me a raw gluten free vegan, who prefers to no have tofu other processed soy, there were limited options .. in fact really one salad on the menu but the dressing offered with said salad had either dairy or soy based dressing.
the did have one vegan desert but it was not gluten free.. they could try harder to put more options on the menu

Cons: not many options, too many soy based items

Persian food - Edit

I happen to really like Sage, mainly for their Sabzi, a persian herb and spinach stew that is really tough to find vegan style.

While I will admit that many of the things on the menu are not worth it in my opinion (skip the Mezze platter, it is a total waste!), to call the entrees overpriced or expensive seems a little absurd. Entrees range from 12-14 dollars. They do not upcharge for brown rice (and here in NC, that is a small miracle), and I think $4 to add a side salad or a cup of soup is not really a big deal. Maybe I'm a crazy person with "money to burn" but most places I go out to eat get around this much a plate (thinking indian, thai or chinese particularly). I would say yes, the kebabs are probably not worth it, but you can usually figure out what you're getting and decide whether it is worth while to you.

Regardless, I find the food here to be comforting, to feel healthy and to be filling and worth it to me. That said, I highly recommend the Sabzi, which is a thick stew with lemons, tahini and beans served with a side of rice. The iced tea usually has a little cinnamon or spice in it and is awesome. I like the carribe a lot, although my friend thinks it is overpriced for beans and rice with some tofu and plantain. She's a big fan of the Soy Chicken Cutlets (which I don't care for, if you like delight soy nuggets, go for it) and the Fesen Joon, which is pretty tasty.

Soup and salad are both worthwhile in my opinion and served with little pieces of garlic wheat bread. Waitstaff are (For the most part) friendly and attentive. The specials are really hit or miss but can be really tasty (I recall some sort of tofu manicotti in cashew sauce!).

Skip dessert.

The only other thing I will say is they sometimes change their hours randomly (summer hours, closed for two weeks sometimes) so be sure to call before you head over there.

Pros: healthy food, Persian specialties

Cons: sometimes closed

Expensive and Boring - Edit

We've gone here several times, generally with non-veggies who want a place to go out with us. Each time, I've tried something different, and each time I've been less than impressed.

The food is not spectacular, and it's quite expensive for what it is. I love that there's a vegetarian vegan restaurant in the area, and I would love to give it a better review, but I would rather just go to the grocery store and cook at home.

Pros: vegan friendly, friendly staff

Cons: expensive, slow, bland food

Expensive, bland - Edit

This dining experience was a huge letdown, especially considering some of the more positive ratings. (Perhaps, the quality has gone down since those reviews were written.) The atmosphere was nice and the portion size was decent, but no one in my party of four particularly enjoyed the food, even though we ordered different menu items to give it a fair chance. I have had much better vegan food for less than half the price. I can't really think of a reason to recommend this restaurant. I've been more satisfied by eating a Subway veggie delight without any cheese. O.o

Cons: the food was cold, the food was bland, expensive

Perfect! - Edit

Service was excellent and the food was fresh and innovative. The server made sure to tell us that the bread was vegan - we didn't even need to ask! The bread was warm and the vegan tofu salad dressing was creamy and delicious! The vegan chocolate cake was moist and delightful. The lighting was dim and romantic and the decor was beautiful. We totally recommend the place!

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Location

How is this place rated so high? - Edit

Alright, to be honest, this isn't that bad a restaurant, but gee wilikers, the food is just mediocre. I'd go there in a pinch if I was starving and had money to burn, but they charge an arm and a leg for meals that simply don't hold that value. VERY overpriced for what it is; if the prices were half for the lack-luster flavors and skimpy portions, this place might actually be a worthwhile place to visit regularly. As it is, it's just a highly overpriced greasy spoon.

Pros: Some vegetarian food, A few interesting dishes

Cons: Extremely overpriced, Tiny, uncomfortable hole in the was room, Boring servers

Gnocchi - Edit

I love, love, love this restaurant! I've been several times but I must say the Gnocchi is my favorite (be sure to ask for the vegan version if you don't eat eggs). It is probably the most flavorful vegan dish that I have ever had at a non-Asian restaurant.

Very good stuff! - Edit

I went to Sage last night with my family, and was highly impressed! Food was delicious, service was polite and somewhat prompt, and the atmosphere was soothing. The Soy Chicken Cutlets was hella good! I also bought a bottle their "Dill Dressing" they used for their salads. I don't like salad much, but with their dressing, I'll eat salad any day.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Relaxing Atmosphere

Cons: Limited menu choices, Kinda small and cramped

Soy Chicken Cutlets - Edit

I only have 3 words for this quaint restaurant: absolutely, positively, delicious! I ordered a dish that totally had me fooled into thinking that there was meat in it. It was prepared kind of like indian curry chicken and was a true delight! This restaurant does not accept AMEX, though-but the food makes it worth it. They sell their own spiral-bound cookbooks for $12, too. I would have purchased one if the entree that I ordered was in it because it really made my day.

Pros: good music, good prices, friendly staff

Cons: do not accept AMEX, small

Not Vegetarian - Edit

This place serves Eggs which is not vegetarian . Vegetarian is redefined here. It should be not eggs not meat.

2 Responses

Great place! - Edit

The menu was creative (and TASTY!). and the atmosphere left nothing to be desired. The waiters were smiling, talkative, and genuinely happy to help. Everyone eating there seemed to enjoy themself. Plus, there was a large variety of people-- young college kids, middle age couples, families- its perfect for anyone.

The space is small though, so be aware of this if you plan on eating with a large group.

Pros: food, service, atmosphere

Cons: size

Excellent - Edit

We had an excellent first visit to Sage. It is cozy, the staff is wonderful, and the food was great. I will definitely be back, and really want to support the only fully veg restaurant in the area! Very vegan friendly.

Pros: vegan friendly, vegan dessert options

Cons: a little pricey, but not bad

excitingly tasty - Edit

after over a week of being in nc, i was weary from the lack of good veggie food. but i was very pleased with sage. good service. good food. though i do agree with another poster that the 4 dollar side salad is not worth 4 dollars. it very small. but my main dish was good. very exciting tastes.

Nice place, but not a lot of bang for your buck - Edit

My boyfriend and I were in the Research Triangle area for a show, and decided to check out Sage Vegetarian (vegan options being limited in NC). The cafe is cozy, warm, and beautifully but simply decorated. The iced tea was delicous (slightly spiced, slightly sweet). There was an option to order a salad with your meal that came with a very nice creamy dill dressing (tofu option for vegans). But it certainly wasn't worth $4 extra with an entree-- which was also expensive. I ordered a tempeh dish called Fesen Joon, but the sauce was overly thick and not well flavored. In fact, the way the entrees were served struck me as odd--we got a plate with a huge amount of rice, a tiny ramekin of shirazi (a Middle Eastern salad of tomatoes and cucumbers), and a separate bowl of a small amount of entree. There is one vegan dessert option, a carob cake with bananas that's served with soy ice cream. It wasn't bad, but I'm also spoiled by delicous vegan desserts at local restaurants, so maybe I'm biased.

It's not a bad place, but I wouldn't consider it among my favorites.

Pros: warm setting, good vegan selection, friendly service

Cons: small portions, expensive

5-star visit! - Edit

Visited this restaurant based on on-line reviews, and boy, was it a find! Cozy, warm, Mediterranean atmosphere, friendly staff, and rich/flavorful cuisine! The curry "chicken" was delectable, draped in a creamy curry sauce, accompanied with basmati rice and a side of chopped up cucumbers and other "cool" veggies, which complemented the dish perfectly. It goes without saying that we will definitely return!

Pros: excellent food!, friendly staff, great atmosphere

Cons: located in a strip mall

Return to Chapel Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sage Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7739 times since Aug 2007.