Sagar

157 King Street, Hammersmith, West London, England, W6 9JT

Vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring South Indian cuisine. Vegan menu available upon request. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine

First Review by aclasse

First time I tried Indian food; pleasantly surprised - Edit

As a disclaimer, I don't know much about Indian food, but I found this nice restaurant through the HappyCow app. I was walking around London with a friend when we decided to try some of the famous dishes that we've heard vaguely about. I did cook Indian food before, like curry with coconut milk and ginger, but I didn't have something "authentic" to compare it to, so I thought this could be a good learning opportunity.

We both agreed to order just vegan food which made me very happy. When we told the waiter (whom I have a feeling was also the owner because he was very attentive) we were interested in the vegan options, he gave us a separate menu. There was so much to choose from, but we decided on a starter and two types of meals, and he helped us with recommendations.

So, we got the famous samosas which we both enjoyed very much. The food was so fresh, warm, and flavorful, and the cashew sauce + the sweet sauce were awesome together.

Then we had the Masala Dosa, which was like a giant pancake filled with potato and carrot purée. I didn't recognize all the spices, but it was a nice combination of flavors. My friend didn't like this dish very much, but I thought the filling was interesting.

Finally (or, at the same time), we had a version of curry with spinach and potatoes (as main ingredients), and we also wanted to try some vegan bread and we ordered the poori, which was slightly sweet, quite oily (they were deep-fried) and tasted a lot like Romanian donuts. :)) Perhaps I won't order them next time, but the curry was delicious and hearty.

The food itself was interesting and new to us, and I'd definitely go back and try some other recipes.

Updated from previous review on 2017-04-10

Pros: So many yummy vegan options!, Friendly staff, sometimes too attentive, Pleasant atmosphere, but very quiet

Good; not outstanding - Edit

The service here is always really warm and welcoming. The food is good, but I would say it doesn't stand out. The lunch deals are terrific value, but I'd say that for not much more, you can order more delicious items ala carte. This is a good place to go with a big group of people because they can cope with a crowd.

Pros: Good for a big group

Great - Edit

First visit to this branch, but I have dined at their Covent Garden branch often.
Very pleased with the welcome, the service and speed of service, I requested my curries, Aloo Gobi and Channa Massla to be prepared piping hot and they arrived just that, the lemon rice was really nice so was the chappati.
Highly recommend this place.

Pros: Great food, Vegan menu, Service

Loved it! - Edit

I was amazed after asking for the vegan menu and saw that there was a vast amount of options! My partner and I loved the food here immensely, I would definitely recommend if you love Indian food. Not only that, Sagar is the best service I received in all of Europe when eating out.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Reasonable Price

Really nice - Edit

I liked separate vegan menu, food was really good, it was warm and clean. I'll come back again.

Reliable - Edit

Having given the other (Central London) branch a rather damning review for tastless food, I'm pleased to say that the Hammersmith branch far surpassed expectations. The food was good, tasty and arrived quickly. The mysore masala dosa was excellent and fresh. Staff were a bit over attentive, but it was early in the evening and there were not many customers.
I recommend this if you are in the area.

Pros: Fast service, Varied menu

Cons: A bit devoid of atmosphere

dalightful - Edit

a large selection of choice and the food was tip top.
The menu states what is vegan but please do ask as they a separate menu also. Also list a vegan white and red wine as well as the veggie options.
I had a thali which was really tasty the highlight a dry beetroot curry. the staff were great and went through each dish and how to eat these.

this is worth a trip even if its out of your way.

Pros: selection, taste, staff

Amazing!! - Edit

This place is 100% veggie with a separate vegan menu.

Prices are reasonable considering it is located in London.

Food is fantastic, would recommend to anyone.

Pros: Lovely food, Reasonable price, Friendly staff

Good vegetarian and vegan curries - Edit

All veg restaurant,with a delicious and extensive vegan menu. Have eaten here twice, a great masala dosa and a variety of curries. Lovely

Not impressed :( - Edit

I was excited to be going to an Indian restaurant that was actually fully vegetarian for a change, but my excitement soon waned when I saw the menu. It disappeared completely when I finally ate my meal.

It seemed like pretty much every dish (at least the vegan ones) were based around the same thing - a wheat, rice or corn item, some potato if you wanted it and the same sambar and chutney. A lot of carbs and not much flavour.

Usually the dishes are the same across Indian restaurants and I ordered puri with chickpeas, expecting the same delicious feast I was used to. It turned out to be rock hard flavourless hollow balls made of some kind of flour and a few chickpeas floating in a COLD clear liquid. It was inedible and if someone else hadn't said they would pay for the whole meal regardless I would have asked if I could not have to pay for that.

I am not someone who likes to say negative things about places (I came on here to write positive reviews) but I was so disappointed in this place I felt I should be honest. I have never had a problem getting vegan food in a regular Indian restaurant (and indeed they even have more choice for vegans than Sagar!) and have had far, far better meals in ones that also serve meat, sad as it is to admit that.

Cons: Only one (basic) vegan dessert, Unimaginative, samey, boring food, Less choice for vegans than usual!

Good variety and delicious - Edit

We went to this restaurant on Friday as in the area and fancied Indian food. Lots of choice we had the mysore masala dosa and a thali plus starters! The dosa is so light but filling we couldnt finish all the dishes. Want to return to try the Indian style pizza!

Fantastic Dosa - Edit

Spent a fair amount of time across India and got the best Masala Dosa here that I've had outside of Kerala.

Love this place, just wish it was in my part of town.

A gem - Edit

We found this restaurant by asking people in the street where we could find veg food and they directed us to Sagar.
They are a vegetarian restuarant but they have a vegan menu which was very extensive.
I started with the dahl soup which was a delight, we then shared a masala dosa and a cauliflower and potato curry which had loverly flavors.
I would vist Sagar again whhen I am in London.
I live in Canada

Pros: good food, not greasy, good helpings

good value - Edit

This was a good surprise, we had dinner and its have a great service and the food are good. the dishes are ok, not big but the value its ok.

Pros: location, all vegetarian

Cons: size of the dishes

good stuff - Edit

Better than the usual indian restaurants that only have greasy spicy vegetables on the menu. Sagar (which is a vegetarian restaurant) has more to offer and has a vegan menu as well as vegetarian.

Pros: good food, speedy service, serves alcohol too

Cons: no vegan desert

Great Authentic Food - Edit

I went there 4 times last week, with husband and same friends (not vegan).They've a Great Vegan Menù. The staff is very helpful and they have a really Great South Indian Vegetarian food. The Paper Masala Dosa was relly amazing! I love their Utthapams for lunch and my husbsnd (vegetarian not vegan)loves the Great and very cheap Lunch Special (£ 5.75). I definitly raccomend it. Lovely place with great food.

Good Food - Edit

I met with 2 friends and had a great meal. They're not vegan nut had the veggie menu whilst I used the vegan menu. Good choice of starters and mains although didn't have a pudding as too full and they didn't look like they had too many vegan ones. £50 for 3 which included a bottle of wine - good value. Not sure what previous reviewer meant about 'dodgy area at night' - near 2 tubes and well lit, have never had a problem.

Pros: vegan menu, price, taste

Excellent Indian food! - Edit

A really lovely place, and if my waistline would allow it, I would come here everyday! The vegan thali is HUGE, so I usually order a la carte. I haven't had anything I disliked yet. The potato bondas, samosas, bhajia are all amazing. The staff are really sweet too.

Pros: Vegan menu, friendly staff, wonderful food

Cons: slightly dodgy area

Return to West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sagar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.