Contact 020-8741-8563

157 King Street, Hammersmith, West London, England, W6 9JT

Vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring South Indian cuisine. Vegan menu available upon request. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine

First Review by aclasse

Good; not outstanding - Edit

The service here is always really warm and welcoming. The food is good, but I would say it doesn't stand out. The lunch deals are terrific value, but I'd say that for not much more, you can order more delicious items ala carte. This is a good place to go with a big group of people because they can cope with a crowd.

Pros: Good for a big group

Great - Edit

First visit to this branch, but I have dined at their Covent Garden branch often.
Very pleased with the welcome, the service and speed of service, I requested my curries, Aloo Gobi and Channa Massla to be prepared piping hot and they arrived just that, the lemon rice was really nice so was the chappati.
Highly recommend this place.

Pros: Great food, Vegan menu, Service

Loved it! - Edit

I was amazed after asking for the vegan menu and saw that there was a vast amount of options! My partner and I loved the food here immensely, I would definitely recommend if you love Indian food. Not only that, Sagar is the best service I received in all of Europe when eating out.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Reasonable Price

Reliable - Edit

Having given the other (Central London) branch a rather damning review for tastless food, I'm pleased to say that the Hammersmith branch far surpassed expectations. The food was good, tasty and arrived quickly. The mysore masala dosa was excellent and fresh. Staff were a bit over attentive, but it was early in the evening and there were not many customers.
I recommend this if you are in the area.

Pros: Fast service, Varied menu

Cons: A bit devoid of atmosphere

dalightful - Edit

a large selection of choice and the food was tip top.
The menu states what is vegan but please do ask as they a separate menu also. Also list a vegan white and red wine as well as the veggie options.
I had a thali which was really tasty the highlight a dry beetroot curry. the staff were great and went through each dish and how to eat these.

this is worth a trip even if its out of your way.

Pros: selection, taste, staff

Amazing!! - Edit

This place is 100% veggie with a separate vegan menu.

Prices are reasonable considering it is located in London.

Food is fantastic, would recommend to anyone.

Pros: Lovely food, Reasonable price, Friendly staff

Not impressed :( - Edit

I was excited to be going to an Indian restaurant that was actually fully vegetarian for a change, but my excitement soon waned when I saw the menu. It disappeared completely when I finally ate my meal.

It seemed like pretty much every dish (at least the vegan ones) were based around the same thing - a wheat, rice or corn item, some potato if you wanted it and the same sambar and chutney. A lot of carbs and not much flavour.

Usually the dishes are the same across Indian restaurants and I ordered puri with chickpeas, expecting the same delicious feast I was used to. It turned out to be rock hard flavourless hollow balls made of some kind of flour and a few chickpeas floating in a COLD clear liquid. It was inedible and if someone else hadn't said they would pay for the whole meal regardless I would have asked if I could not have to pay for that.

I am not someone who likes to say negative things about places (I came on here to write positive reviews) but I was so disappointed in this place I felt I should be honest. I have never had a problem getting vegan food in a regular Indian restaurant (and indeed they even have more choice for vegans than Sagar!) and have had far, far better meals in ones that also serve meat, sad as it is to admit that.

Cons: Only one (basic) vegan dessert, Unimaginative, samey, boring food, Less choice for vegans than usual!

Good variety and delicious - Edit

We went to this restaurant on Friday as in the area and fancied Indian food. Lots of choice we had the mysore masala dosa and a thali plus starters! The dosa is so light but filling we couldnt finish all the dishes. Want to return to try the Indian style pizza!

A gem - Edit

We found this restaurant by asking people in the street where we could find veg food and they directed us to Sagar.
They are a vegetarian restuarant but they have a vegan menu which was very extensive.
I started with the dahl soup which was a delight, we then shared a masala dosa and a cauliflower and potato curry which had loverly flavors.
I would vist Sagar again whhen I am in London.
I live in Canada

Pros: good food, not greasy, good helpings

good stuff - Edit

Better than the usual indian restaurants that only have greasy spicy vegetables on the menu. Sagar (which is a vegetarian restaurant) has more to offer and has a vegan menu as well as vegetarian.

Pros: good food, speedy service, serves alcohol too

Cons: no vegan desert

Great Authentic Food - Edit

I went there 4 times last week, with husband and same friends (not vegan).They've a Great Vegan Menù. The staff is very helpful and they have a really Great South Indian Vegetarian food. The Paper Masala Dosa was relly amazing! I love their Utthapams for lunch and my husbsnd (vegetarian not vegan)loves the Great and very cheap Lunch Special (£ 5.75). I definitly raccomend it. Lovely place with great food.

Good Food - Edit

I met with 2 friends and had a great meal. They're not vegan nut had the veggie menu whilst I used the vegan menu. Good choice of starters and mains although didn't have a pudding as too full and they didn't look like they had too many vegan ones. £50 for 3 which included a bottle of wine - good value. Not sure what previous reviewer meant about 'dodgy area at night' - near 2 tubes and well lit, have never had a problem.

Pros: vegan menu, price, taste

Excellent Indian food! - Edit

A really lovely place, and if my waistline would allow it, I would come here everyday! The vegan thali is HUGE, so I usually order a la carte. I haven't had anything I disliked yet. The potato bondas, samosas, bhajia are all amazing. The staff are really sweet too.

Pros: Vegan menu, friendly staff, wonderful food

Cons: slightly dodgy area

Even my carnivorous brother liked it! - Edit

This is a great little Indian restaurant for vegans who adore the cuisine. My brother and I shared lots of dishes which is a really great idea. It's good value for money. You need to ask specifically for the vegan menu. The staff were really jolly too which always makes for a pleasant meal. But of a dodgy area at night though, but I'd make the trip again.

Pros: extensive menu, friendly staff

Contributions +87

Good Food - Edit

After a friends recommendation i visited this restaurant to check it out. On being seated we were given our menus. My friend is a veggie and i vegan so i called the waiter and asked what dishes were suitable for a vegan diet. On this the waiter produced a vegan menu which only had the dishes suitable for a vegan. So quick tip, always ask for the vegan menu on being seated, if required.
For starters we had Fried idly and some vadu in a massala sauce with a bhel puri. These were great and quite filling. Four our mains my friend had a vegetarian Thali and i had the vegan one which were different small dishes such as Chickpea curry, salad, potato Curry, rice, and other dishes/sauces. These were both served with a bread, the veggie one a roti and my one with 2 large puri. We struggled to finish these and therefore no room to eat a desert. Well worth a visit and the cost was £44 which included 2 very large bottles of beer.

Pros: Fresh Food, Good vegan choice, Great staff

Ask for the vegan menu - Edit

...if you're that way inclined - I didn't realise they had one until after ordering, but then it appeared. Think it may be a copy of the ordinary one with stuff crossed out, but anyway it might avoid guesswork.

I'd call this a very pleasant South Indian place, attractively priced for an informal meal. It can get busy so booking is advisable.

Return to West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sagar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2994 times since Aug 2007.