Sadrvan

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several vegan options which include a vegetable duvec, a mixture of rice and vegetables, platters of roasted or grilled vegetables, sides of spinach and other vegetables, as well as some staples like bread and chips. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Bosnian, Turkish, Non-veg

First Review by jesselliot7

Good Service and Filling Food - Edit

I came here with my non-vegan friends, I was a bit worried about finding vegan food in Bosnia so I was happy to find anything that I could eat. The staff were very friendly and seemed familiar with vegan customers. I had the Duvec which was nice, good portion size and very filling for a decent price, especially considering its location! However the food could have been warmer. Great place for a group of people with varying dietary requirements!

Right next to Stari Most - Edit

I had the duvec, a vegetables and rice dish. I know, I know, when you hear "vegetables and rice" it doesn't sound too exciting. And if you hear this from the caterer at your cousin's wedding, it's probably not going to end well. But the duvec was really good! I didn't have any experience previously with Bosnian food, but it's seems similar to Turkish food. As with Turkish food, it probably doesn't hurt to specify to your server that you want your dish without yogurt (even if the menu doesn't list yogurt on what you're ordering).

The restaurant is right next to Stari Most, so if you're a tourist in Mostar, you're probably going to walk by it anyway. I'm not sure if I'd say it was worth going well out of your way for, but it's a solid choice. The reviews here didn't really sell me on the place, but as we were walking around looking for a place to eat, I picked it out just seeing there was a vegetarian section of the menu. I realized later that I'd even see it on Happy Cow.
Updated from previous review on Monday July 06, 2015

Pros: Location

top notch - Edit

This restaurant was really a saviour for me to Mostar. Really great Bosnian food with plenty of vegan options available. Good value and great food. Great location just before Stari Most too.

Pros: taste, quality, location

Better cook and eat at home - Edit

For vegetarians Mostar is no good place to eat out. Sadrvan seems to be at least in some degree the best choice.
When I was there I sat outside in the nice summer garden which is why I can't say anything about how it is inside.
There were a couple of vegetarian dishes but if you are vegan you can be lucky if you have at least 1% of the whole menu to choose from (excluding beverages). I had a risotto with mushrooms (and parsley and butter) which was pretty fair, I am even tempted to say it was quite good. But I have to add that the cutlery wasn't very clean, one paper napkin they gave me had already been used before and on top of that I found two hairs in my risotto, one presumably from someone's head and one whisker.
Further I was harassed by a cat that sat next to my chair starring at me for like few minutes feinting to jump on the table every now and then. Only after very persistent ignoring the cat vanished eventually.
In my opinion it is not worth to order a dessert. I tried the most expensive one which was not good.
On balance Sadrvan was rather disappointing, besides somewhat overpriced. I have to add they gave me a Sadrvan souvenir (a postcard) eventually.
If you have the facility then cook yourself, that'd be way better, especially since I have seen some very good-looking fruits and vegetables around.

Pros: nice location

Cons: not very clean, slightly overpriced

Nice surprise - Edit

We visited Mostar, expecting to live on the usual fare of pasta and pizza. However Sadrvan had a diverse menu of vegetarian meals, with an emphasis on grilled vegetables. While the meals are not exciting, they are well prepared. Service is good, the location is nice. Outdoor seating in a nice garden.

Pros: Location, Price, Service

Cons: Lack of proteins in the meals

So so... - Edit

I had a typical plate with rice and vegetables (sorry, forgot the name) and it seemed to be an ready food heated in the microwaves... Was indeed too fast for preparation of rice...Really not tasty. My husband had a sauce with mushrooms (with milk cream) with toasts and was nothing extra as well...
I've seen that other restaurants nearby also had vegetarian options, but I didn't have oportunity to try...

Pros: Friendly staff, Outdoor seating place, Price

Cons: Not tasty, Not fresh

Helpful - Edit

Sadrvan has plenty of veg options and the servers were pretty easy about helping decide which dishes could be veganised. Although anything you eat here will be limited to a combination of rice and vegetables, in our case we found them to be really helpful and were not left hungry. The location is also great with some cosy outdoor seating and withing walking distance of the Mostar bridge.

Vegetable delight! - Edit

Yummy vegan simple options in vegetables, rice and bread. Decent prices and very friendly staff. More veggie food than surrounding restaurants.

Pros: Fresh spinach dish, Friendly staff, Affordable

Return to Mostar Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sadrvan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1965 times since Jul 2011.