Sabroso

Contact 07-3490591

1184 Haupapa St (at Tutanekai), Rotorua, New Zealand,

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small restaurant with a cozy atmosphere. The staff is accommodating and will point out the vegetarian suitable dishes, or alter a dish to suit vegan diet. Closing time varies. Open Wed-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, South American, Non-veg

First Review by Lea

best vege option in rotorua - Edit

aw yes!! i got a takeaway of the tostadas and it was a party in my mouth to be quite honest. it was already vegetarian and gf, but i made it vegan by asking to take out the sauce and the cheese. vegan tortillas have never been so good y'all

... - Edit

A bit elevated Latin restaurant. For those who enjoy Mexican or the like food, Sabroso is a good choice. There are only four vegetarian main dishes though, one of them being Chili con Carne (ask for vegetarian option), whereas Chili sin Carne isn't listed; I find this to be a bit strange.
If you ask kindly then they maybe will be able to prepare a vegan dish.
Service is good; price is moderate to expensive, the servings aren't very big.
If you are alive for hot dishes, ask beforehand. All the sauces are made on side and some available for sale at the restaurant.
I had the Pimiento Relleno which I can recommend.
Since Sabroso doesn't provide that much seating capacity, bookings are suggested, especially on weekends.

Pros: clean & friendly, tasty food

Cons: servings aren't very big, a bit expensive, lot of meat

Deliciously Vegan Friendly - Edit

We had to take an early booking because it was the night of the Rotorua Marathon 2014 and they were tightly booked. We were well pleased with our decision. We were made to feel very welcome in spite of it being an omnivorous restaurant. We felt very secure that they understood our vegan requirements. The food was fresh, satisfying and delicious and the staff and owners friendly and helpful. They seem to take their reputation very seriously and will not overbook so that they can they can maintain their high standards. My husband had just completed the marathon and declared his meal "Just what I needed". Will definitely return when next in Rotorua. I would have selected 5 stars but was restricted because it isn't a vegan restaurant.

Lovely cosy little haven - Edit

This is a really cute little restaurant with a lovely vibe and nice food. Cosy and warm too on a freezing rainy summer night in New Zealand! Definitely in a class way above your average stodgy Mexican style fare. The food was sophisticated, light in texture and flavour and beautifully presented. The menu clearly indicates which items are vegetarian and which can be made dairy free. We had tostadas with spicy black beans, and roasted red peppers stuffed with quinoa and salad. Followed by the best dessert! I forget what it was called. Triangles of crispy fried pastry dusted in cinnamon and sugar with a little pot of chocolate for dipping. Mmmm!

Pros: Vegan food is readily available, Delicious food, Great atmosphere

Return to Rotorua Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sabroso closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1974 times.