Ruwam

0749-202085

754 Abiko, Aisho, Echigun, Shiga, Japan, 529-1234

Vegetarian cafe near Lake Biwa at At 〒529-1234滋賀県愛知郡愛荘町安孫子754. Specializes in vegan and organic desserts. Baked goods and sweets are all vegan. Some items in the drink menu contain dairy or honey but can be changed to soy milk and cane sugar. Allergy concerns are accommodated. Fresh fruits and herbs from the owner's garden are used. A small shop in the cafe sells clothes, trinkets, natural beauty products from places to which the owner has travelled. Owner accepts advance cake orders and makes gluten free versions upon request. English menu available. Basic English spoken. Note: In Japan kitchens often stop serving 30-60 minutes before closing time. Call ahead to confirm. Open Wed-Thu 12:00pm-5:00pm. Closed winter months.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese, Organic, Western, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by YukiLim

One of the best cafes I've been to with amazing desserts and a magical vibe - Edit

My colleagues from Vegan Cafe and I were look for a vegan friendly cafe during our camping trip at Lake Biwa and stumbled upon this rare gem in a small neighborhood. The moment we saw the straw hut entrance to the cafe I knew it was going to be a unique and wonderful experience. The interior of the cafe is tastefully decorated by the owner with cherished items she collected from distant and exotic places she has been to. The entire cafe is brightly lit, comfortable and overlooks the owner's vibrant garden filled with fresh fruits, herbs and vegetables. I couldn't stop taking pictures of the place because it was just so exquisite and charming.

The cafe only serves desserts and drinks but the portions of each dessert set are surprisingly filling. For just 890 yen you get a cake of choice, scone, fruits, tofu cream and a drink of choice which is one of the cheapest sets I've had in Japan. We each ordered different cakes, drinks and a Thai shaved ice dessert. Everything tasted absolutely heavenly. The flavors were delicate but well-balanced and the presentation was gorgeous. The only downside to this place is that it uses some cow's milk and honey in the drink menu which you can easily make vegan, but otherwise this place is close to perfect. I was also fascinated by the little store in the cafe which sells many trinkets and handicrafts from Southeast Asia, Oceania and North Africa. The owner is a lovely and friendly lady who is very accommodating and will try her best to meet your dietary requirements.

Overall I highly recommend this place if you are visiting Lake Biwa. However the place is only open on Wednesdays and Thursdays so remember to plan your trip in advance. I just wish it wasn't that far away from where I am because I would want to visit this place all the time! We left the cafe with more sweets to bring back to Kyoto because they were just that delicious.

Updated from previous review on 2017-07-22

Pros: The best desserts and drink sets, Magical and cozy space with relaxing vibes, Lovely and accommodating owner

Cons: Some drinks contain cow's milk and honey, A little out of the way, Not open regularly

Return to Shiga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ruwam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.