Rutherford Pancake House

Contact 201-340-4171

40 Park Ave, Rutherford, New Jersey, USA, 07070

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers also vegan versions of pancakes, French toast, scramble (tofu), veggie burgers. Casual, atmosphere. Mon-Sat 7:00am-3:00pm, Sun 7:30am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by MikeyMike

No tables for families that need a high chair!!!! - Edit

I have been to Rutherford Pancake House several times and used to love it, However not after what happened to me yesterday. I walked in yesterday morning (Saturday morning) around 930-10 am with my son and no one was at the hostess stand, following behind me was my sister, her husband and daughter. The hostess came up and we asked for table for 4 with a high chair..... this has never been an issue for us there. The hostess explained it would be 20-25 minutes. ..we said OK. We sat and waited. As we were waiting we kept seeing group after group of people coming in and they were sat right away. It was mainly groups of 2 so we didn't think anything of it. A group of 3 came in and were sat right away we started thinking uuummmmm OK, What's going on???? Meanwhile our children (2 and 3) are hungry and saying they want pancakes. The hostess is fully aware of this. We see a table open up that could certainly fit us. We wait, but we aren't being seated. Another group of 3 walks in and the hostess seats them in that table. At that point WE HAD IT!!!!!!! I explained that we were leaving and that everyone whom walked in after us is being seated, while we wait. We went somewhere else where we were seated immediately (Meadowlands Diner) and the kids got their pancakes (better tasting pancakes) with in minutes. I will probably NEVER go to rutherford pancake house AGAIN!!!!!!!!! I was very disappointed because again this has never happened to us we never had an issue with getting a table or a booth where we can slide in a high chair. Thank you rutherford pancake house for treating us like garbage!

Nothing finer than eating at this diner - Edit

Affordable, delicious diner food. The breakfast items are really good. Pancakes, challah french toast, french toast stuffed with sweetened cream cheese and strawberries, waffles, and more. So far we've steered clear of the tofu scramble per other people's suggestions but they sound good. They have two milkshakes, both really good...cookie dough or chocolate. Depending on your server, it'll either be a huge amount of deliciousness or a usual amount of deliciousness...either way, you're golden. The texas fries...aka chili cheese fries...are good but if you ask to sub the home fries for the french fries, it'll be amazing. They did this for us twice but both times the servers were unsure if it could be done. Not only can it be done but the chef does a great job. The stuffed french toast (described above) is my favorite so far, though both people I was with didn't love it. The pancakes are consistently great, same as the challah french toast. Depending on your syrup consumption, you can ask for real maple syrup ($2 upcharge) and although it seems like it's for one person, you can easily use it for several. There were three of us there last time and we all used it plus had some left over to take home. Definitely recommend doing this. The soysage is good too. Been there three times and each time has been really good. Street parking only, which is free on sundays. There's usually a little wait on weekends but you can call ahead.

Pros: The food is awesome!, Affordable, Diner food!

Absolutely Outstanding - Edit

We ate here twice in one weekend, once having breakfast dishes and once having lunch dishes. The vegan challah French toast is stellar--three huge, thick slices, just brilliant. We also tried the Popeye tofu scramble, which was delicious, as well as a side of vegan sausage (also yummy). For the lunch we had the supreme veggie burger (the kind of burger that's more like a veggie patty, not a soy burger) with sweet potato fries, and a seitan parmesan sandwich with fries. The french fries were well-done, browned and crunchy, EXACTLY how I prefer them, and I didn't even ask--I guess that's just how they do them. Perfect. Beverage-wise, they had lovely fresh-squeezed orange juice, and a genuine NY-style chocolate egg cream (essentially chocolate soymilk with seltzer, frothed up a bit). Everything was outstanding, the atmosphere was charming, and the staff was nice as could be.

Pros: Fantastic food, Small town charm, Fair prices

The best veg friendly diner I know - Edit

This diner has THE MOST veg options I have EVER seen in a diner. Veg pancakes, veg french toast, veg Challah French toast, veg waffles, 4 veg tofu scrambles, and lots of veg lunch options. Travel from Philadelphia suburbs there because I enjoy it so much!

Pros: Lots of veg lunch options, Friendly staff

Our favorite spot! - Edit

Since we live in Rutherford and I work right off Park Ave, this is a place that we frequent often. Our family is composed of 3 vegans and 3 meat eaters; that's what makes this place so easy for us; there is something for everyone! The food is always fresh and there are always specials to tempt you. Nice service and the management team is always great!

Pros: friendly people, good food , vegan and non vegan fare

Cons: busy on the weekends, parking can be an issue

The Best Vegan Diner Food, ANYWHERE! - Edit

I've been to The Rutherford Pancake House about 5 or 6 times now and it just keeps getting better. There is literally not a single vegan item that I've tried that wasn't amazing.

Their breakfast/brunch fare is to die for. Their Tofu Scrambles are wonderful a mild. Their pancakes are just what diner pancakes should be; Oversized and full of flavor. The owner, Spiro, actually MAKES HIS OWN VEGAN CHALLAH BREAD and then slices it to make his vegan challah French toast. I recommend the variety that is stuffed with "sweet cream" and topped with fresh strawberries and served with vegan butter. Their waffles are great too. And your coffee-- which is delicious-- can be served with soy or almond milk!

Their burgers and sliders are homemade- not from some pre-processed plant as suggested by a previous review. I've confirmed with Spiro that he makes these by hand, individually. Their Seitan Marsala is delicious, as it their vegan Moussakka.

If you're craving dessert, there's an insanely rich vegan chocolate lava cake. Spiro makes his own vegan Cheesecake; it's light, fluffy and tastes so much like the real thing, it's erie.

I've lived in New Jersey for nearly 4 years and it took me 3 1/2 to find this place. All I can say is, it's the best kept secret in the entire NYC metropolitan area. Folks from The City take the train out on weekends to come here, and there's good reason to; It's the best vegan diner food, anywhere.

But for the fact that it's not 100% vegan, I cannot give it the 5 happy Cow rating it really deserves.

Pros: Exceptional Food, Extensive vegan menu, Delightful service

Cons: NONE

Pancakes - not just for breakfast anymore - Edit

Nice restaurant having something for everyone.

The veggie burger I had was very good (seems like all veggie burgers in NJ are from the same manufacturer - they are all the same makeup - still good though).

Clean and comfortable inside. Has a dining bar in the back with seating for about 1/2 dozen. Tables and booths available. Welcoming atmosphere.

Price for food is average, not too spendy. Home style food. Great value for the money. You won't go away hungry.

Wait staff friendly and efficient.

Parking - not so good. Street side parking is metered and serves many other businesses in neighborhood. May be in for a little walk, but what can they do about that....

Pros: Value for your dollar, varied menu, home style food

Cons: Parking

Great Food, Lots of Vegan Options - Edit

The Rutherford Pancake House has a nice atmosphere and a lot of vegan brunch options. They have a variety of vegan tofu scrambles to choose from (I recommend the Vegan Roman). They also have vegan pancakes, and sometimes changing special flavors of vegan pancakes including red velvet, cranberry orange, and chocolate, among others. If you're looking for lunch options, they have vegan pizzas, vegan quesadillas and other vegan tex mex, a veggie burger, and some other choices. Everything I've gotten here has been really good! I've never been disappointed. Their fresh squeezed orange juice is also really good and if you order coffee, they do have soy milk if you ask.

Pros: many options, great food, good atmosphere

Cons: no evening hours

Among the best you'll find in NJ - Edit

This is a GREAT place to take your non-vegetarian family for breakfast or lunch. They have several tofu scrambles (the Vegan Popeye is great) and vegan pancakes and sausage for breakfast. They also have vegan burgers and a few sandwiches, and now they have vegan pizza and TexMex (nachos, quesadillas) with Daiya cheese. They'll put Daiya on anything if you ask for it. It's a great find since NJ is lacking in vegan options, especially in our diners.

The menu is a little hard to navigate on your first time, so just ask for the things I said.

Pros: Great food, esp for a nonveg place, Friendly/helpful staff, Good value

Cons: Not too many choices, Vegan menu not perfectly defined, Closes at 3 pm every day

I love the Rutherford Pancake House. - Edit

I love the Rutherford Pancake House.

If you're vegan and have non-vegan friends and family members (or vice versa), this is the place to go. They have amazing vegan and non-vegan options. The food is delicious, the portion sizes are large and the price is great. And the staff is always so friendly and accommodating.

If you're in the Rutherford area, definitely check this place out. The only downfall is that they're only open until 3pm, so make sure you get there early!

Pros: friendly staff, amazing food, great value

Cons: hours

Great for vegans and non vegans - Edit

My family has a hard time finding places to eat. Rutherford Pancake House makes it easier for us. The meat eaters in my family can have their meat and we can have out vegan dishes. We all agree that all the dishes we had there are fantastic. They have a lot of vegan options and some great vegan specials too. I just wish they were open more hours.

Pros: Quick service, helpful staff, good value

Cons: open more hours

A pleasant surprise! - Edit

Rutherford Pancake House is like the old fashioned feel of a pancake house you went to as a kid. The difference? A pretty good selection of vegan selections mixed in with the non-vegan items. The veggie sliders and tofu scramble were great and I can't wait to go and try more! This is the transitional future of vegan dining. I hope more restaurants pick up on the popularity of this place and adapt a vegan menu as well! I only wish they were open 24 hours! (or at least for dinner!)

Pros: vegan menu!

Cons: hours

Great Place! - Edit

Great vegan pancakes and scrambles. Get the Vegan Roman Scramble... AWESOME! Buy on the weekends though, but that's to be expected.

Pros: great food, Friendly staff, not expensive

Cons: long waits on the weekends

Return to Rutherford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rutherford Pancake House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3127 times since Nov 2009.