Rutabegorz - Fullerton

Contact 714-738-9339

211 N Pomona Ave, Fullerton, California, USA, 92832

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegetarian friendly restaurant with several locations in Orange County. Extensive food menu with many choices suitable for vegetarians. Vegans to ask.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by SavageMaxx

Cute Atmosphere, okay food - Edit

I go here with my girlfriends who like to eat healthier, but aren't vegetarian or vegan. I'm able to get a salad that is pretty good. There aren't any vegan dessert options, and I have to ask a lot of questions about ingredients. There are tons of vegetarian options, but not a lot of things for vegans. The menu is a novel and really cute to go through. You can customize a lot of things to make it vegan, but I usually wind up with the Thai Peanut Salad, which is a huge serving. The food is also not my favorite, but it's a cute little restaurant located in a house, so the atmosphere is fun and my friends really enjoy it. It's a good place to take non-veg friends as there will be options for both of you, but if you're vegan you'll have to do a bit of menu searching.

Pros: Cute Atmosphere, Good place for non-veg friends, Lots of vegetarian options

Cons: Not as many vegan options, staff not always knowledgable

So-so - Edit

I went here with my (carnivorous) boyfriend on a recent visit to California. While I am a fully practicing vegan, the one exception I allow myself on occasion is grilled cheese sandwiches (they are my kryptonite).
I ordered one here, which said on the menu only that it was melted cheese on squaw bread and had a vegetarian icon next to it. When I got it, it was pretty gross. It was lightly heated (not toasted) sweet bread with really thick and rubbery pieces of american and swiss (gross) cheese on it.
Now, I know I was taking a chance ordering a grilled cheese, but the menu or the waitress should have at least mentioned the types of cheese on the sandwich. Especially since swiss cheese makes me extremely nauseous.

That, however, is not my biggest complaint. I asked the waitress if anything came on the side of the sandwich and she said a pickle, some fruit, and a pasta salad. Now, being that this was tagged on the menu as a vegetarian dish, I assumed everything on the side was vegetarian. However, a few bites into the pasta salad, I noticed there was chicken in it. Don't you think that would be something important to mention (either on the menu or by the waitress), especially if a large percentage of your customers don't eat meat?

Also, be very careful when you order the apple pie there because (and again, neither the waitress nor the menu mentions this) there is cheddar cheese baked into the crust. I found this extremely unsettling because we do not have a habit of doing that in Florida, and especially after my experience with the "grilled cheese" this just made me feel even more sick.

On the upside, they had a nice 42 cent special dip served with carrot and celery sticks, although I suspect it was something I could have bought at the grocery store myself :(

Pros: cute atmosphere, nice location

Cons: menu does not specify ingredients, waitress was not very helpful, not very safe for vegans

Rutabegorz Rocks! - Edit

Rutabegorz has several menu items including a lot of vegan and vegetarian choices. Since they also serve meat, the rest of my family loves it too. Their salads are super good and they are really big too.

Pros: far out food, cute restaurant

Cons: not open Sundays, not totally vegan

Great vegi friendly place.... - Edit

I really enjoyed Ruta's. The atmosphere was great, quite and friendly. The service was always spot on. I really enjoyed the Mexican Caserole and the pumpkin hummus was awsome. The salads are MASSIVE. The price was fair, I can have a beer, huge salad, pumpkim hummus and chips, leave a good tip and still walk out for under $20.00.

Pros: Great service, quite and comfy, excellent food

Cons: not open for breakfast

Return to Fullerton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rutabegorz - Fullerton closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2188 times since Sep 2011.