Ruffage Natural Foods

808-922-2042

2443 Kuhio Ave (at Oahu), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 96815

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sandwich and small health food shop walking distance from Waikiki Beach. Veg except for turkey and tuna. Each day a special plus vegan choices including tofu vegan omelette, taro burgers, tempeh, veggie burrito, chili dogs, chili with rice, and smoothies. Limited seating. NOTE: Oct 2016 reported reduced vegan options - please send updates. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ShiraM

OK in a pinch, but order carefully - Edit

This is a counter-service eatery, not a service-oriented restaurant, but there are several vegan items on the menu and my taro avocado burger was tasty. But, as others have warned, they don't seem to get that mayo isn't vegan, so who knows what else they might be missing. If in doubt, ask.

beware vegans - Edit

I ordered the vegan raro and avocado burger and when I got it it was with mayonnaise, I asked if it was vegan and they said no, and offered to change the bread but not the whole thing, extremely unhappy about this place. The staff doesn't have a clue about what they are serving in this place! If you're vegan go elsewhere or be really careful of what you order here... I personally won't be coming here ever again!

slim pickings in Waikiki - Edit

Wish I would have found this nice gem earlier in my stay. My salad & smoothie were both delish. Lots of choices & will update my review when I go back.... tomorrow.

Pros: fresh ingredients

Cons: very small eat in area.

Terry404 28 Sep 2016 - update.... every meal I had was a delicious and yes small eat in area plastic utensils but grateful I stumbled on this place and worth the short walk from Waikiki. Ate at least one meal a day for the remaining time of my stay. Probably gets an extra star for being the one vegan place near Waikiki and would be average in another area.

meh is right. - Edit

The service was just awful. The food was served on a paper plate with plastic forks and knives and she was on her cell as she served us. She kinda just dropped the plates and left. No one ever came to check on us and to see if we need anything else and we were the only customers there. The food was ok at best once you added salt and hot sauce. I wouldn't bother if I was you.

Meh - Edit

Walked from the beach to the only really veg friendly restaurant around. Ordered the vegan chili dog. The chili on top was pretty good and was like a crumbled mock meat with some beans on top. The hot dog itself was rather bland and odd tasting. Not really appealing.

Unfortunately I think the chili didn't sit well with me and I've been having really bad gas a few hours after eating here. Maybe the beans were not thoroughly cooked or made in a way to reduce gas. They were red beans though and those in general tend to give me gas soooo. Price wise it wasn't too bad for Hawaii.

I like the little health mart inside. It's really small, a few shelves but it's a place to get eco friendly sunscreen, shampoos, lotions, or other home items that no ABC store around carries. Of course it will be really pricey though.

Does not have a public restroom. They want you to go across to the nearby hotel and show your receipt to gain access to their bathroom. Odd.

Staff were not unfriendly but not friendly either. Tried to make conversation and they were mute. It could be because they were Asian and there was somewhat of a language barrier, but still.

Pros: affordable vegan food for hawaii

Cons: not particularly friendly staff, food is a little bland.

Food is too bland, Ruffage Staff please read - Edit

I Love Ruffage simply because its one of the few places in Waikiki where you can get vegan meals and I appreciate so much that the owners run a little health food store in Waikiki as well (perhaps the only health food store in waikiki) The problem is I've eaten there probably 5-6 times over the past 10 years and everytime the food has been terribly bland. They have good options and are put together well for the most part, they are just missing spices so Ruffage Staff please read how to improve your dishes: Thank you!
burrito/chili/any tex mex item- please add chipotle spice, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper
spaghetti/lasagna/italian items- please add italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
tofu scramble-please add nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, pepper and maybe italian seasoning too (this tasted like tofu straight outta the box heated up)
If you are against salting your dishes, that's fine too but atleast use some spices as mentioned, then I will highly recc. your cafe and eat there much more often. Most of my vegan friends here on Oahu agree.

Pros: clearly marked vegan, vegetarian,g-free, one of a few vegan options in Waikiki, health food store inside

Cons: food is very bland , no condiments besides salt n pepper

Delicious and quick option near Waikiki beach - Edit

We initially didn't think to go here because it sounds like more of a health food store. But then we walked by and realized that the prepared foods seem to be their focus.

I recommend the taro burger. Everything vegan is quite well labeled as vegan so you know what to chose from.

The location is very convenient, not far from the beach in Waikiki.

There's some seating. It's not difficult to find a spot because it doesn't get too crowded. All the seating is outdoors and covered.

Good - Edit

This is good option in Waikiki. Lots of vegan options and the food looks and tastes fresh and flavoursome. I had the vegan chili and it was good. I will be going here again when I'm back in Waikiki next week to try some other items.

This is a good walking option if you're staying in Waikik and don't have a car.

Pros: Variety, Fresh, Walking distance in Waikiki

loved it - Edit

i loved how the menu was easily divided up into non veg, veg, and vegan. made it really easy to order, especially for me, because i get really anxious asking for anything and speaking up in general. the cashier was really sweet and patient, as well as helpful. the food was delicious, i ordered the totally vegan special and the taro burger avocado (i couldnt have just one haha), both were great. i originally wanted the tempeh burger, but as i came about half an hour before closing, they were out. there was, in addition to the foods on the menu, a wide variety of foodstuffs and snacks + products to purchase such as muesli, kale chips, sunscreen, etc. anyways, i also liked how close it was to wakiki beach, only a quarter of a mile. unfortunately, since i used apple maps, i got completely lost and ended up a mile away, but if you use google maps you should be fine

Pros: fast service, delicious, easy to order

Convenient - Edit

A short walk from Waikiki Beach, this is a convenient stop for vegan eats, smoothie or some groceries. I had the "Totally Vegan Plate" & it was OK (the veggies were fresh but the vegan chilli was mediocre). My sister really liked her tempeh sandwich.

Pros: Vegan cafe options, Reasonable prices, Friendly Staff

Cons: So-so chilli, No frills

Fantastic!!! - Edit

Great place! Food was excellent and great prices!!! Awesome that they also have other items in the shop!

Awesome - Edit

Tempeh and taro burgers with avocado are awesome. Kava and kombucha here too.

Aloha - Edit

This has been a favorite stop here in Waikiki. Its was conveniently located next to our hotel and the beach. The service was always friendly and helpful. The vegan and gluten free items are clearly marked. We loved the smoothies,taro burger and the tofu scramble. Mahalo :)

Pros: Good food, Fast friendly service, Convenient

Love this place! - Edit

My husband and I ate here 4 times when we were in Waikiki for one week. I had the vegan burger twice with avocado which was really delicious! I also tried the scrambled tofu with toast and salad (hubbie had vegetarian sausage with his) and another time I tried the tempeh burger. The burgers were really tasty and healthy! I would eat here everyday if I could.

Pros: location, great selection of foods, great value

very convenient - Edit

I went straight to this place to get lunch after arriving waikiki. I had vegan chili bowl with white rice instead of brown rice. It was very good and I went back for dinner as well. Because I could not find better place to get vegan food in walk distance from waikiki, this place was very convenient. I went there again for the brunch on the day after. I wish they had more hot vegan meal choices other than chili, but I liked the combination of chili, avocado and salad very much. Hope there will be more restaurants and shops with vegan menus in waikiki!

My new Waikiki favourite - Edit

Found this place on HappyCow, and was so happy I did. Went in for lunch one day, that back for breakfast the next. I tried their vegan burger w/avocado and tofu scramble. Plus they have a nice touch of offering "to go" meals airplane ready. I will return!

strange asian restaurant disguised as a HFS - Edit

Ruffages has a few shelves of organic sun screen, chips, kombucha a nd chocolate, what it mainly is is an asian restaurant. They were a little short tempured with me on my veggie burrito order (hold the chili, holding the avo and put the rice inside) but they finally agreed and it was a good bite despite being $10. $10 is better spent over at Mary's Organic for her huge spinache burrito (which I just polished off another) I wouldn't go to Ruffage again personally, but if you are young and just want something quick its not a bad hole in the wall

Cons: could be nicer, no parking, no bathroom

I highly reccomend Ruffage Natural Foods - Edit

This place is an oasis in Waikiki. Was my favorite spot I found, for sandwiches, smoothies, salads, and a decent assortment of staple foods and health products to keep you going. Try the house special smoothie, you'll be stoked! Large portions of very healthy cuisine, and super friendly staff, a must if you're in Waikiki and looking for some great vegetarian/vegan options!

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: closes at 6pm

Return to Honolulu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ruffage Natural Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.