Ruffage Natural Foods

Contact 808-922-2042

2443 Kuhio Ave (at Oahu), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 96815

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sandwich and small health food shop walking distance from Waikiki Beach. Veg except for turkey and tuna. Each day a special plus vegan choices including tofu vegan omelette, taro burgers, tempeh, veggie burrito, chili dogs, chili with rice, and smoothies. Limited seating. NOTE: Oct 2016 reported reduced vegan options - please send updates. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ShiraM

beware vegans - Edit

I ordered the vegan raro and avocado burger and when I got it it was with mayonnaise, I asked if it was vegan and they said no, and offered to change the bread but not the whole thing, extremely unhappy about this place. The staff doesn't have a clue about what they are serving in this place! If you're vegan go elsewhere or be really careful of what you order here... I personally won't be coming here ever again!

slim pickings in Waikiki - Edit

Wish I would have found this nice gem earlier in my stay. My salad & smoothie were both delish. Lots of choices & will update my review when I go back.... tomorrow.

Pros: fresh ingredients

Cons: very small eat in area.

meh is right. - Edit

The service was just awful. The food was served on a paper plate with plastic forks and knives and she was on her cell as she served us. She kinda just dropped the plates and left. No one ever came to check on us and to see if we need anything else and we were the only customers there. The food was ok at best once you added salt and hot sauce. I wouldn't bother if I was you.

Meh - Edit

Walked from the beach to the only really veg friendly restaurant around. Ordered the vegan chili dog. The chili on top was pretty good and was like a crumbled mock meat with some beans on top. The hot dog itself was rather bland and odd tasting. Not really appealing.

Unfortunately I think the chili didn't sit well with me and I've been having really bad gas a few hours after eating here. Maybe the beans were not thoroughly cooked or made in a way to reduce gas. They were red beans though and those in general tend to give me gas soooo. Price wise it wasn't too bad for Hawaii.

I like the little health mart inside. It's really small, a few shelves but it's a place to get eco friendly sunscreen, shampoos, lotions, or other home items that no ABC store around carries. Of course it will be really pricey though.

Does not have a public restroom. They want you to go across to the nearby hotel and show your receipt to gain access to their bathroom. Odd.

Staff were not unfriendly but not friendly either. Tried to make conversation and they were mute. It could be because they were Asian and there was somewhat of a language barrier, but still.

Pros: affordable vegan food for hawaii

Cons: not particularly friendly staff, food is a little bland.

Food is too bland, Ruffage Staff please read - Edit

I Love Ruffage simply because its one of the few places in Waikiki where you can get vegan meals and I appreciate so much that the owners run a little health food store in Waikiki as well (perhaps the only health food store in waikiki) The problem is I've eaten there probably 5-6 times over the past 10 years and everytime the food has been terribly bland. They have good options and are put together well for the most part, they are just missing spices so Ruffage Staff please read how to improve your dishes: Thank you!
burrito/chili/any tex mex item- please add chipotle spice, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper
spaghetti/lasagna/italian items- please add italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
tofu scramble-please add nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, pepper and maybe italian seasoning too (this tasted like tofu straight outta the box heated up)
If you are against salting your dishes, that's fine too but atleast use some spices as mentioned, then I will highly recc. your cafe and eat there much more often. Most of my vegan friends here on Oahu agree.

Pros: clearly marked vegan, vegetarian,g-free, one of a few vegan options in Waikiki, health food store inside

Cons: food is very bland , no condiments besides salt n pepper

Delicious and quick option near Waikiki beach - Edit

We initially didn't think to go here because it sounds like more of a health food store. But then we walked by and realized that the prepared foods seem to be their focus.

I recommend the taro burger. Everything vegan is quite well labeled as vegan so you know what to chose from.

The location is very convenient, not far from the beach in Waikiki.

There's some seating. It's not difficult to find a spot because it doesn't get too crowded. All the seating is outdoors and covered.

Good - Edit

This is good option in Waikiki. Lots of vegan options and the food looks and tastes fresh and flavoursome. I had the vegan chili and it was good. I will be going here again when I'm back in Waikiki next week to try some other items.

This is a good walking option if you're staying in Waikik and don't have a car.

Pros: Variety, Fresh, Walking distance in Waikiki

loved it - Edit

i loved how the menu was easily divided up into non veg, veg, and vegan. made it really easy to order, especially for me, because i get really anxious asking for anything and speaking up in general. the cashier was really sweet and patient, as well as helpful. the food was delicious, i ordered the totally vegan special and the taro burger avocado (i couldnt have just one haha), both were great. i originally wanted the tempeh burger, but as i came about half an hour before closing, they were out. there was, in addition to the foods on the menu, a wide variety of foodstuffs and snacks + products to purchase such as muesli, kale chips, sunscreen, etc. anyways, i also liked how close it was to wakiki beach, only a quarter of a mile. unfortunately, since i used apple maps, i got completely lost and ended up a mile away, but if you use google maps you should be fine

Pros: fast service, delicious, easy to order

Convenient - Edit

A short walk from Waikiki Beach, this is a convenient stop for vegan eats, smoothie or some groceries. I had the "Totally Vegan Plate" & it was OK (the veggies were fresh but the vegan chilli was mediocre). My sister really liked her tempeh sandwich.

Pros: Vegan cafe options, Reasonable prices, Friendly Staff

Cons: So-so chilli, No frills

Aloha - Edit

This has been a favorite stop here in Waikiki. Its was conveniently located next to our hotel and the beach. The service was always friendly and helpful. The vegan and gluten free items are clearly marked. We loved the smoothies,taro burger and the tofu scramble. Mahalo :)

Pros: Good food, Fast friendly service, Convenient

Love this place! - Edit

My husband and I ate here 4 times when we were in Waikiki for one week. I had the vegan burger twice with avocado which was really delicious! I also tried the scrambled tofu with toast and salad (hubbie had vegetarian sausage with his) and another time I tried the tempeh burger. The burgers were really tasty and healthy! I would eat here everyday if I could.

Pros: location, great selection of foods, great value

very convenient - Edit

I went straight to this place to get lunch after arriving waikiki. I had vegan chili bowl with white rice instead of brown rice. It was very good and I went back for dinner as well. Because I could not find better place to get vegan food in walk distance from waikiki, this place was very convenient. I went there again for the brunch on the day after. I wish they had more hot vegan meal choices other than chili, but I liked the combination of chili, avocado and salad very much. Hope there will be more restaurants and shops with vegan menus in waikiki!

My new Waikiki favourite - Edit

Found this place on HappyCow, and was so happy I did. Went in for lunch one day, that back for breakfast the next. I tried their vegan burger w/avocado and tofu scramble. Plus they have a nice touch of offering "to go" meals airplane ready. I will return!

strange asian restaurant disguised as a HFS - Edit

Ruffages has a few shelves of organic sun screen, chips, kombucha a nd chocolate, what it mainly is is an asian restaurant. They were a little short tempured with me on my veggie burrito order (hold the chili, holding the avo and put the rice inside) but they finally agreed and it was a good bite despite being $10. $10 is better spent over at Mary's Organic for her huge spinache burrito (which I just polished off another) I wouldn't go to Ruffage again personally, but if you are young and just want something quick its not a bad hole in the wall

Cons: could be nicer, no parking, no bathroom

I highly reccomend Ruffage Natural Foods - Edit

This place is an oasis in Waikiki. Was my favorite spot I found, for sandwiches, smoothies, salads, and a decent assortment of staple foods and health products to keep you going. Try the house special smoothie, you'll be stoked! Large portions of very healthy cuisine, and super friendly staff, a must if you're in Waikiki and looking for some great vegetarian/vegan options!

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: closes at 6pm

Avocado Advocates - Edit

Years ago we spent an overnight in Honolulu. Before leaving we went to a sandwich shop where we had the most heavenly avocado sandwich -- one we've talked about for years afterward.

I couldn't figure out where this place was, but I found Ruffage through various veggie listings and stopped in for lunch. The moment I stepped in, I knew this was the place. So of course I ordered the avocado sandwich (the one with sunflower seeds) again. And it's still as sublime as I remember it.

So, I can't really say anything else about this place because I've never eaten anything else. But they do know their way round an avocado. And though they will specially pack food for flights (by separating the ingredients), I can't imagine a freshly-cut avocado ever tasting better, no matter how separated.

Pros: tasty, friendly, unpretentious

Nice place in Waikiki - Edit

During my stay in Waikiki I went allmost every day to the Ruffage cafe. The staff is hard working and friendly, it's not expensive and they have some nice items on the menu. Probably the only place in Waikiki where they have brown rice...

I really love the burrito. If you ask for it, they can make it vegan and gluten free. Great! They can also make the sandwiches with gluten free bread.

They also have a corner where they sell some organic food supplements. They opened a second place in Waikiki in Nahua Street with allmost the same menu.

The map here on Happy Cow does not point to the right location, you have to walk further down Kuhio (walk east, leaving Honolulu behind you) past the Pacific Monarch and than it's on your right hand side. Enjoy!

Pros: good price quality level

Cons: menu is a bit limited

Whole in the wall with decent food - Edit

On my first attempt to grab dinner I have failed because they close at 6:00pm.
On my 2nd try the staff was friendly and the vegan burrito was great. What I did not like was the run-down appearance of the place. Dirty entrance door makes me unsure about how the kitchen is being kept. Cleanleness is not a matter of money...

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, acceptable value

Cons: dirty doors, paper & plastic , needs some touch-up paint

Lifesavers in Waikiki - Edit

After two weeks on the islands, we were thrilled when we walked into Ruffage. Even though their menu didn't indicate they had a veggie dog, I ended up with two that I asked them to put their vegan chili on. Even though I was famished, I wouldn't have ordered two if I'd known how huge they were. My boyfriend ordered the vegan burger avocado and a side of their delicious chili. The delightful owners were amused by our large appetites but understood as they later told us many vegan families have found them after struggling to find vegan food in Honolulu and they all did the same; ordered way more than folks usually would.

We went back the next morning for breakfast and they were happy to see us and full of smiles. We talked with them more about the pace and found they took it over from his uncle about a year ago and have really enjoyed getting to know all the locals as well as flight crews that frequent the place. Joseph and Curyn made such a difference after the several food let-downs we'd experienced in the two weeks prior. We took our food to go and rode our rented bikes a couple blocks down to the beach where we enjoyed the tofu scrambler, fruit smoothie.

We will definitely go back to Ruffage anytime we're in Waikiki!

Pros: Casual, Vegan-friendly, Super nice owners

Cons: A little pricey, Simple fare

YUM - Edit

If you are struggling to find good food in Waikiki look no further.

I stumbled across this place while searching for good vegetarian food.

I tried it and then have gone back about 8 times so far in about 5 days. Food is great and the service is 2nd to none.

you should visit this place. Try the house special smoothie.

Alright. - Edit

I found this place through HappyCow and my boyfriend and I decided to eat there yesterday. Since we are both vegan and it was only a short walk from our hotel we walked down for lunch. I had read the reviews and thought it sounded good but I was left disappointed.

I ordered the "Vegan Burger Avocado", because I read it was the tastiest: it was a microwaved Boca burger on wheat bread. The avocado was delicious but this was NOT a burger. I hate boca burgers, and for a "natural foods" place I would have thought they would have freshly made their own patties or buns but they did not.

My boyfriend got a Taro burger, which like mine, was a microwaved frozen burger on sandwich bread. We both agreed it was SO much tastier and the avocado was also delicious on his sandwich.

These sandwiches did not come with any sides so we ordered a salad which was iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots, sprouts, a few tomatoes, and what tasted like Wishbone Italian dressing.

If you don't have anything else to eat I would recommend going there, but we found some vegan sushi in a grocery store a few days ago which was in my opinion a lot better and less overpriced.

At around $20 for the whole meal, I thought they were making a good profit off our frozen and cooked sandwiches. They did serve our meal fast but why shouldn't they? It was frozen food anyway.

They were really friendly and did answer our questions fully, but for someone who has eaten at really great vegan burgers for the same price, I had much higher expectations.

Pros: Vegan Options, Friendly, Location

Cons: Not fresh, Expensive

a gem - Edit

I was so happy to find this place on Waikiki beach. Just had a smoothie and tempeh avocado burger. The smoothie was great, tasty. The burger was delicious, fresh bread, avocado just perfectly ripe. Very friendly staff. A little pricey but worth the money for healthy food around here. Everything here is pricey.

Excellent little hole in the wall - Edit

I had the Vegan Special which was very filling and tasty. Friendly staff and comfortable seating made the place very enjoyable.

Pros: Vegan Selection, Location

Cons: Selection is small

Yes, Relief to Find in Waikiki - Edit

Nice sandwich shop. The owners were very friendly when we went in and gave us samples of vegan chili. My husband had a taro "burger" and I had an egg salad sandwich which was loaded with tomato, onion and sprouts. They had other vegan and vegetarian options. Generous portions on good bread. It's very casual and a huge relief in Waikiki, where finding a vegetable seems difficult sometimes. We also had fruit smoothies which were excellent, just fresh fruit, ice and a little honey. Could easily be made vegan. I'll be going there again on my next visit.

Pros: casual , healthy options, relief in Waikiki

A Relief to Find in Waikiki - Edit

I have just recently visited Ruffage and found the staff super friendly and accommodating to my vegan needs. I had the Avocado/Tempeh burger that someone else had raved about and it was delicious. Even though the term burger is used, vegan bread is replacing the bun. The vegan bread was so flavourful and fresh, along with the fresh veggies and tempeh, it was the best one I've tasted. I also had the Veggie Burrito at a later date and because I don't eat cheese they threw in some brown rice. I found for the most part, that I got value for my money and could have easily eaten there for most meals. Even my non-vegetarian friend was impressed.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Good value

Cons: Closes at 6 pm

so happy to find - Edit

Only been here one time...so far...had a good smoothie with extras thrown in. It was so nice to find this place, in Waikiki it seems that the restaurants are catering to the "big eats" American mentality. Being a raw foodie, finding real fruit smoothies with (some) organic fruits is awesome.
They sell some other supply type things like bee pollen, nuts/dried fruit...and some other dry foods.
I read the other reviews about service, etc...in my opinion, the owners/operators are super casual, and having that attitude as a patron makes the perfect fit!!

Pros: fresh, healthy, helpful

Cons: a bit pricey

Save your money - Edit

I went in today with a co-worker. As we are both waitresses, our geniality to food service workers knows no bounds. I ordered a soup and sandwich combo. I said, "soup" twice. I know that he heard me because he pointed to the big board which shows the sandwiches eligible for the combo and says, "you can pick any of those sandwiches." When my sandwich came there was no soup to be found. After I had finished, I approached the counter and said, "I actually wanted to combo...so, can I pay the difference and get the soup?" The man started making a big deal out of it, saying that I had not said soup and that I should have in the first place if i wanted it. I said that perhaps he had not heard me, but in any case I would like to get the soup now. He was exceedingly rude and condescending about it, until I said, "never mind, I didn't think it would be a big deal to give you more money and get what I ordered, but forget it." ( I did not immediately notice the price discrepancy because my friend paid for both of us.) His wife came over and told me not to mind...it was just how he was. I used to frequent this establishment every day about when I first moved here 5 years ago. I intended to resume my daily patronage, as I am now employed in Waikiki, but now I will never set foot in there again to give money to such a stupidly pride-consumed man who is more concerned with being right than his own economic vitality.

Good little place - Edit

I had a hawaiian taro burger there that was really good. They have minimal seating, so you may want to order to go and bring your stuff down to the beach to eat.

Pros: helpful staff, good location

Cons: tiny, limited selection

Return to Honolulu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ruffage Natural Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6498 times since Aug 2007.