Royale Eatery

Contact 021-4224536

273 Long Street, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Burger joint directly under the Waiting Room (a funk bar). Vegetarian section on menu features approximately 20 veg burgers that range from soy based patties to chickpea burgers with various toppings. Burgers comes with sweet potato fries or potato wedges. Has salads.

Category: Lacto, American, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Powerbex

Incredible for vegans and vegetarians! - Edit

INCREDIBLE MEGA VEGAN BURGER AND VEGAN SMOOTHIE! Absolutely delicious and truly creative. They even have melted vegan cheese. Not to be missed by vegetarians or vegans in Cape Town!!!

Pros: Amazing vegetarian part of the menu, Great Vegan choices as well, Vegan smoothy also delicious

Cons: I found it by accident. Advertise the Vegeness!

Lots of choice for vegetarians - Edit

They offer many options for vegetarians, a burger with differen options of cheese and 2 or 3 different vegan burgers. I have tried the tofu burger and the vegan cheeseburger and I would highly recommend the roasted tofu burger which was very good. The cheeseburger patty fell apart and was nothing special.

The only vegan shake, a mint chocolate shake is delicious, but like a whole meal, very thick, with a lot of banana in it.

Disappointing - Edit

I went there in early 2015, craving vegan burgers and hoping I'd be impressed but …no. I went with 2 friends and we each ordered a different burger so that we could try them all (though the menu offers at least 6 types). We were so disappointed, I make much nicer burgers at home, and I'm not even a trained chef. I guess they're alright for someone who's new to veganism and isn't picky. Cute place though.

Good burgers - Edit

Royale has a few great burgers, but you need to check that they're really vegan, even if it says so on the menu. Their regular buns are glazed with egg, so double check this.

Pros: Tasty, Vegan options, Friendly staff

Cons: Not 100% vegan, Have to double check vegan items

best veggie burgers - Edit

They have a whole menu of veggie burgers (and salads) and are very adaptable. A handful do come with cheese or a dairy sauce; however, I've ordered mine without every time and haven't had any issues yet. Not to mention, the burgers are delicious! This is a great place to come with your non veggie friends since they have such a huge menu and the environment is great for group dinners (or lunches even).

Vegan Friendly! - Edit

I found Royale to be very vegan friendly! They have a large selection of veggie burgers that they happily veganise on request; they also offered any of the non-veggie combinations with veggie patties (the veggie patties are all vegan). When I ordered a veggie burger they asked if I was vegan and pointed out that their white buns are not vegan; I was going with the healthier wholewheat ones anyway.

My burger (vegan, wheat-free patty made from black-eyed beans and finely cut seasonal vegetables. Topped with fresh Italian parsley and our home- made sundried tomato pesto) was fantastic; the roll was fresh, the patty was full of flavor and the pesto rounded it off perfectly.

The vibe was cool, the service was friendly and efficient; I'll be back!

Pros: Lots of vegan topping & patty options , Friendly efficient service, Very vibey

Cons: Only their whole wheat bun is vegan

Not Vegan Friendly - Edit

Royale is not very vegan friendly, as some reviewers have already said, but I'd love to add my own gripes. Many of the waitresses employed don't understand what vegan is. The burgers come with Aioli - an egg based mayonnaise - and the buns are egg glazed (why they're so shiny). The gluten free buns are supposed to be vegan but taste like cardboard, or the waitresses will try to argue you into eating the egg glazed bun by insisting it's vegan. This has happened on more than one occasion.

The patty that comes with the royale veg is quite lovely, however, so have that without the bun. Order an extra patty if you please, they aren't that pricey as an extra. Two yum vegan patties instead of cardboard buns sounds like a better deal to me.

The side salad comes with cheese so make sure you specify that it must have none. But don't expect anyone to really hear your request.

Pros: Vegan patty is delicious, Central location

Cons: cliquey, unfriendly waitresses, gross bathrooms, vegan unfriendly

good veggy borger&co - Edit

if you're looking to eat veggy burger and Jo Brown Cafe is closed, this could be best choice, expecially for dinner.
the veggy food is nice and in our experience the staff was friendly and have taken care of all our requests about ingredients.

Pros: friendly staff, big portion

A veggie (not vegan) paradise - Edit

If you are vegetarian, this is the place for you. The interior is lovely and the menu design is amazing. As a vegan I wouldn't bother. There is one option available and it tastes really strangely cheesy. The staff didn't like us much as we split our burger in half (we like to sample before spending too much money). It's a great place if you're a vegetarian and want to have a chilled out time with friends and family.

Pros: great decor

Cons: not vegan friendly

Royale Eatery, Cape Town - Edit

As per what the previous reviewer said, this place offers around 20 veggie burgers. There is a big choice of non vegetarian dishes so if you are eating with a friend who refuses to go to an all vegetarian eatery, then this place is a useful compromise. However this place is very very close to Cafe Jo Brown and Lola's, both of which are on the other side of the street. Around the Long St area my preferences are Cafe Jo Brown first, or Lola's at times when Jo Brown is closed.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, Central (Long St)

Cons: Not 100% veggie

Yummy! - Edit

Has a great selection of different Vegetarian Burgers, none of them including egg as a binder so all vegan (except for some toppings). Vibe is very retro/chilled, with instruments and bird cages hanging on the walls and from the ceiling. Try to get a table on the balcony, overlooking Long Street. Burgers include: Lentil, Soy, Falafel, Tofu, Vegetable, Black Bean and Mushroom. Choice of french fries, potato wedges, sweet potato or salad. Wheat-free bun available on request.

Return to Western Cape Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Royale Eatery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1345 times since Mar 2009.