Royal Kebabhaus

• Veg-friendly
Contact +49-8923542924

Arnulfstrasse 5, Munich, Germany, 80335

Serves meat, vegan options available. Doner place by the Munich main subway station. Offers vegan döner kebab made from seitan (with vegan sauce), plus dürüm, falafel, tofu burger, and fresh starters. Good for a quick bite. Directions: Walk towards tracks 27-36 (which are shorter than the others), exit the train station there and turn left.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Turkish, Non-veg

First Review by olgucz

Yum yum yum!! - Edit

We had two delicious Döner Dürüm at the Royal Kebabhaus. The "meat" was well seasoned, even a little spicy, and crisp but tender. The Dürüm had red and white coleslaw (the kind with vinegar, not with mayo), tomatoes, salad and tzatziki (there were other sauces to choose from as well). Great and quick meal! Prices are more than fair, too. Would give five stars if I could.

(I'm pretty sure most of their business is vegan, anyways, but being so close to the central station is makes sense, economically, for them to sell meat as well. When we were there, this one guy ordered meat and they scolded him a little :D)

Pros: Well seasoned "meat" with a good texture, Fast, Inexpensive

Vegan Döner - Edit

Your typical German "Döner Laden". Nice place, great vegan options and wonderful home sauces and hommus. Great variety of non alcoholic beverages and not your typical coke etc... Stuff. Great Place just next to Munich Hauptbahnhof...

Awesome Döner. Praise Seitan! - Edit

Hingehen - testen - glücklich sein.

Ich hatte die Gelegenheit und Lust, in 2 Tagen 2 Döner, ein Falafelsandwich sowie einen Dürüm zu testen und dabei sämtliche vegane Soßen auszuprobieren.
Alles kommt recht gut gefüllt daher, die Zutaten wirken frisch und lecker.
Ich mag es, wenn die Soße im Döner schön verteilt ist und nicht obenauf schwimmt. Und genauso ist es hier.

Das Falafelsandwich werde ich hier nicht bewerten - dazu bin ich von Aroma in Frankfurt viel zu verwöhnt.

Fazit:
Für mich der bisher beste vegane Döner.
Wer einen besseren kennt, bitte melden!!

Und: Schafft den Fleischspieß und die Milchprodukte ab, das braucht ihr wirklich nicht mehr.

Pros: Grab&Go @ central station, Best Döner Kebab

Cons: not organic

oh so good!! - Edit

I pop in here whenever I'm (changing) in Munich - as it's close to the main station it's easy to find and also good for just a short break in the city.
the people running/working at this place are extremely friendly - and when i used to frequent it more often - recognise customers. the vegan kebap is really really good and reasonably priced. and you can always alter what you'd like on the salad-side (i'm not the biggest fan of raw onions so i leave them out, same goes for the red cabbage).

Pros: taste, location, price

best vegan döner in town - Edit

If you order a vegan döner - yes you can have a "normal", too - you are always asked which sauce, vegetarian, fully vegan, and even vegan you have the choice between at least two options. Very friendly staff, takes his time to explain ingridients and other vegan options.

Pros: food, service, location

Cons: serves meat, too

Awesome place! So yummy! - Edit

I love Erbil's Kebap Place! It's located right next to the Central Station (lots of backpackers eat here) so when you're on your way someplace else, you can always stop here. It's basically a vegan kebap place with meat options - not the other way round! Vegan is the new normal here, and the kebap is fantastic! Very satisfying on your taste buds! They have a very big selection of organic lemonades. Beer cannot be consumed inside, but they sell it. The dürüm is very good too. They offer a large variety of vegan spreads, also a mixed platter and some sweets. They even have a little vegetarian Turkish cookbook which they sell! Erbil's has become a real institution in Munich, and so has Erbil himself. They even sell T-shirts with his face on them!

Pros: KEBAP!!!, Location

Cons: tiny place with not many seating options

Amazing vegan kebab! - Edit

So delicious, my boyfriend and I brought 2 of the vegan kebabs before catching a train to Berlin. We weren't super hungry, so we thought we would share 1 there and save the other for the trip but after finishing the first we couldn't not eat the second! Would go back in a heartbeat if I was ever in Munich again! Maybe next visit they'll have got rid of the meat and be 100% vegan...?

great service and food - Edit

It was very busy but because we did take out instead of staying there he gave our our food and we didn't have to wait. Great side salads to pick from. Great price

Pros: great price, fast service

Cons: not much space to eat in

Best vegan kebab ever - Edit

By far the best vegan "döner" I've ever had. I remember not even looking at the menu as the place was (and probably still is) simply too famous for this very dish. The owners are nice and the place is cosy, what's not to like? Prices are favourable, too. (Would rate 5/5 if it was possible.)

Pros: Simply great food, Nice location, Friendly staff

yummy salads and roasted legumes - Edit

I was there many times, but today i tried the salads and roasted legumes as a mixed plate (big plate 6,90€ ) and i liked it very much. My boyfriend had a veggie dürüm with vegan zaziki sauce and it also was very good

Pros: not only veggie döner also salads and more, nice p

Cons: they have meat döner too

Very delicous döner - Edit

Whenever I'm in Munich I drop by this place. Very conveniently located right outside the main train station. Walk towards tracks 27-36 (which are shorter than the others), exit the train station there and turn left.

They have several vegan dishes to choose from, but the best is the vegan Döner. Several vegan sauces are available and they are all great. I like the Tzaziki sauce best though.

Staff is very friendly and helpful. It's just a bit weird that they once tried to convince me to have the standard yoghurt sauce with the vegan döner. That one is not vegan but they insisted it was better... Only happened once though. Usually they are very happy to accommodate vegan diners.

If you go more often make sure to get the rebate stamp card!

Pros: Best vegan döner in town

Great vegan doener and service - Edit

Vegan junk food at its best. Voener was yummy, also had some wine leaf rolls, which were also good. Saw that they also have vegan boerek. Was very surprised about the staff, who were super friendly even though it was quite busy and very hot for them. With all the stickers and flyers, the store appears to be so vegan-supportive, that I don't get why they still sell the meat options?

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Still sell meat

Excellent place (if you can eat gluten) - Edit

This place is excellent - if you can eat gluten. They have seitan-based vegan options that looked really good, but I can't have either the wraps or the seitan so I was a bit bummed out. The owner(? seemed to be) didn't understand what I meant by gluten frei but a customer did and explained to him. The owner was very helpful and pointed to lots of salads and asked if I wanted those and so we made a vegan plate with lots of vegan sauces. I was very impressed by this service, and he then gathered cutlery for me and carried it out to our table (he did this with several others too.) The food was good and I was impressed by the service! I wouldn't go back as the condiments weren't really worth it for me but I am glad I gave it a try. You should really go if you can eat gluten. By the way this is PAST the train station if you come from the main part of town - just past the airport buses and taxis.

Pros: Friendly staff, Lots of sauces are vegan, Different vegan options

Cons: No toilet fascilities, Not so good for gluten intolerants

Perfect location, misleading signs - Edit

I discovered this place purely by accident when walking to the train station because of the large signs advertising veggie döner and 100% vegan. Whilst the vegan durum was very good, and was prepared in less than two minutes, it was a bit confusing and a slight disappointment to find out that meat dishes are also served. The staff were helpful in that they clearly explained which sauces etc were vegan, but forgot to tell me that drinks and cutlery are self-service and then laughed when I was not sure whether to clear my crockery away at the end of the meal. Therefore I would recommend this place for a convenient take-away meal, but not for somewhere to eat-in.

Pros: location, price

Cons: serves meat, no toilets

Love this place for the guilty-free fast food - Edit

I was so glad to have found this place, which is absolutely charming and the food is great! I love my vegan döner which is offered with a choice of six different sauces from red beet sauce to tomato based sauced to hummus. The staff is very friendly and this place always seems to be very busy. Granted, it is more a take away place than a dining in place which you will notice with tables often occupied by students in heated vegan debates :-) but the place has its charm - maybe just not a place to take a 1st date to. I am glad they found such a tasty way to veganize the Döner, so I will be back frequently.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 12, 2014

Pros: Delicious food, inexpensive, friendly staff

Cons: small location - seating limited

great vegan döner/dürüm - Edit

I was really impressed by Royal Kebabhaus. The staff was friendly, helpful and could communicate in English if necessary. They clearly understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian (so for instance they won't offer you a yoghurt based sauce if you identify yourself as vegan). They have a number of different vegan sauce options for the vegan seitan they use and the flat bread I had with mine was perfect . . . a bit crunchy on the outside but soft inside. It's the best vegan döner I've had (but I can't really compare it to the meat-based version since I've never had one . . .). A döner and a drink was 5.90 EUROS, which seems reasonably priced for Munich. It's also just a two-minute walk from the main train station . . .

It was busy when I was there (around 1:30pm on a weekday afternoon), so there was a short wait for a table. Clearly vegans know about it since at least half of the steady stream of people coming in asked for the vegan options.
Updated from previous review on Friday December 20, 2013

Pros: vegan-knowledgeable, friendly atmosphere/service, speak English

Cons: no toilet facility

engaged & expensive - Edit

I like a lot that the owner wrote a little cookbook about vegetarian turkish dishes. They seem to be convinced themselves and they told me that step by step they want to become all vegetarian or vegan.
The vegan dürüm I had tasted well. It wasn´t wrapped well though and the bread was too hard so it was a whole mess eating it. And together with a tiny vegan baklava it was 7,50€ which I consider expensive even for Munich.

Pros: directly at main station, want to become all vegetarian or vegan, tasty

Cons: expensive, hard to eat, huge meat loaf turning in your face

I travel to Munich only for this doener kebab - Edit

I love Doener Kebab which was the only dish I thought about twice before turning from meat eater directly to vegan. For years my only hope was the Voener in Berlin which I meanhwile find highly disgusting... this place here in Munich has a doener that has it all. The seitan is the yummiest I ever had. Variety of sauces. Owner/Inventor was always here when I came and I really trust him with my doener (I generally do not trust mixed shops or vegetarians). I hope his idea spreads...

Pros: Very yummy, authentic German doener, Passionate Owner

Very delicious, super friendly, has rewards card - Edit

This place is just down the road from the side entrance to Munich Hbf. You could easily go here if you have a 20min transfer between trains.

They're super excited about their vegan doner, they use separate utensils, and they can point out which toppings are vegan.

Store also has a rewards card: purchase 10 doners and the 11th one is free. The best part is that even if your 10 doners were all meat (this place serves meat also), the free one is always veggie, whether you're veggie or not. They really want people to try their veggie doner and spread the word. Awesome.

Pros: Serves mock meat to meat-eaters, Super friendly, Convenient

Cons: sells meat

What a Surprise And Delight! - Edit

Arrived after a long flight and searched for this restaurant. Found it and got the last table. The food exceeded expectations. They brought a mese plate with an amazing assortment of vegan stayed with warm bread. Then they had several choices of vegan doners and vegan tzatziki sauce. WOW. Although I am here for only couple of days I will be back! The owner personally came around to ask how everything was. Great evening.
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 21, 2013

Pros: Price, Quality, Variety

best döner ever - Edit

das ist der beste döner, den ich je gegessen hab. man kann seine saucen super wählen, der dönerteller wird auch individuell zusammengestellt und der besitzer ist auch super nett. es gibt noch viele salate und andere vegane sachen. der mitarbeiter sind auch super kompetent, wenn man nachfragt. preise sind auch ok und das ambienete ist auch "niedlich". besser gehts nicht.

Succulent Seitan Kebabs - Edit

Right on the main street at Munich HBf, it's a strange place but the fact that they offer a vegan kebab is pretty amazing. They have a seperate kebab spit with succulent seitan 'meat' which is carved and served just like a regular kebab. There is no cross-contamination as they use separate utensils to those used for the chicken kebab spit. The seitan is really really tasty and is served with the traditional range of salads and sauces. It's fantastic value and can be eaten on the premises or taken away. Cold drinks and beer are also served if you fancy washing it down with something. The staff are extremely friendly and are very proud of their vegan kebab. They make every effort to make sure you choose exactly what you want and explain which sauces are suitable for vegans. Make sure you tell them if you are vegan as they might put yoghurt sauce on your kebab. There is a huge emphasis on vegetarian food, they even have their own veg/vegan recipe book on sale as well as a good range of side dishes such as vine leaves, humous and aubergine plus a few vegetarian dips and tofu schnitzel burgers.

Pros: cheap, friendly, beer

Cons: serves meat

veggie döner! - Edit

I admit that my review may be influenced by the fact that I was practically starving by the time I got there... but this place was fabulous. I have been in Germany for 6 months and haven't been able to try to the infamous döner until now. It was delicious. Plus, the staff was incredibly nice and friendly. I would definitely come back again. I didn't even see what else was on the menu, I simply asked for the vegetarian döner and they asked if I wanted yogurt sauce and if I wanted it spicy. And I believe the price was 3,70 euro.

Pros: friendly staff, close to hbf, veggie döner!

Cons: serves meat

Best Döner Kebab in town - Edit

First of all: The Royal Kebabhaus is the same as Makam Naturkost with has an duplicate entry at HappyCow - maybe both should be merged together.

Certainly this Döner kebab shop is the best in Munich (for both vegetarians / vegans and meat eaters) and is highly competitive to the Döner stores in Berlin a.k.a. the Capital when it comes to all kebab in Germany.

The Royal Kebabhaus has improved a lot since they became open-minded to veganism and introduced the vegan döner a few years ago. Has seen a renovation by the end of 2011.

Since then the vegan options exceed the non-vegan! They have up to 6 different vegan dressings (try the vegan garlic sauce, it can't get any more delicious!) and everything in the delicacy shelf (Kısır, Dolma etc.) is vegan. Sometimes they also have vegan schnitzel or hamburger.

Also they have more vegan Turkish specialities from their vegan bakery like ‪Simit‬ or ‪Baklava‬. Turkish tea is for free!

Once a month animal right groups meet there. Owner and staff are friendly and very obliging. They also publish there own vegetarian / vegan cooking books.

They all spoke English very well, so don't be afraid to ask twice.

Pros: Large variety of vegan Turkish food, very friendly staff, medium to large portions

Cons: Toilets are 100m away in another bulding, Hard to find in first place, Sometimes vegan kebab is out of stock

Good for a quick snack - Edit

The Royal Kebabhaus is centrally located beside the Hauptbahnhof. I've eaten there twice and the food was ok, but not outstanding. I had the doner kebab, in a wrap and in a focacia-type bread. Both times they asked if I wanted it vegetarian (yoghurt type sauce) or vegan (salsa type sauce). They have a wide selection of cold drinks, and also falafel, salads etc on display at the counter. You can eat in or takeaway. The seating area is comfortable, but could be cleaner.

The place is good for an easy meal if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. I've had better vegan doner kebabs (in Berlin, for example).

Pros: Central location, Good for food on the go

Cons: Average food

NOT vegan at all - Edit

we were very excited to go to a 100% vegan doner place, but, to our disappointment, they only had 2 vegan options. TWO!

the first was something that resembled a strudel, but with veggies in it. the second was falafel. we both went for the falafel.

for 3.5eur it was a terrible falafel, and, believe me, I've had tons of falafels in my life. the hummus wasn't smooth at at all, the bun was too hard so everything kept falling out of it. the falafels themselves were undercooked and didn't hold together..

the bottom line is - don't be fooled by the description. oh, and if you're looking for decent falafels, there's a doner place close to the corner of FeilitzschstraSe and LeopoldstraSe for the same price. ;)

Pros: location, some vegetarian options

Cons: few vegan options

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Royal Kebabhaus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3955 times since Sep 2011.