Rotas da Ilha Verde

Contact +351-296628560

Rua de Pedro Homem, 49, Azores São Miguel, Ponta Delgada, Portugal, 9500-222

Small cafe with about 6 tables. Informal atmosphere. Simple menu with each main dish served with salad. English spoken. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 7:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Spanish, Portugese

First Review by Radio_Caroline

vegan options available - Edit

There are not many restaurants in Ponta Delgada to eat great vegan food. But Rotas and A Requinha are an exception. The atmosphere is great, the woman serving us was really lovely. For entree, I took chickpea balls with soy yoghurt sauce and after that salad with mango and avocado. I don't recommend you to take a salad because it is nothing spacial. I have learned that it's pointless to order a salad when you're eating out because you pay the fortune for nothing (it costs 8€).

I also try Lan's restaurants because they should have some vegan options, but it was only one vegan dish: baked beans with rice. Unfortunately, it is not made fresh, they just have it frozen and then they reheat it in a microwave (I know because it was still cold in the middle). So save the money from trying all the options, which was my aim and just go for the best. That should be the main principle for everything in life anyway.

Vegetarian excellency - Edit

This is not just a Vegetarian restaurant, this is an anthem to great tasty gourmet food, made with care, love and attention to detail! Every one, either vegetarian, vegan, or meat eater should experience the excellency of this cuisine. The staff will make feel at home because that´s the atmosphere of the place! Despite being openly Lacto-Vegetarian you'll also find some vegan dishes on the menu, although almost every lacto-vegetarian dish can be adapted to become vegan.
Be advised to make a reservation before you go, specially on the high season, because they can be fully booked with up to 3 days in advance! It's just wonderful to find such a restaurant in a place most wouldn't expect to find even one vegetarian restaurant!
Being Vegan i can only say that i had the most tasty vegan dish ever (Tofu in quinoa crust with pineapple sauce and black rice)

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-17

Pros: Excellent gourmet Vegetarian and Vegan food, Very friendly staff , Great atmosphere

Cons: Very busy in the high season

Great place! - Edit

Excellent food! Really big vegan selection. We were there 3 times during our stay on Sao Miguel!! It's a small place that get full really fast so get there as close to opening time as possible for dinner. Lovely staff and a very comfortable/homey decor.

Cons: maybe a few more vegan desserts?

Perfection in a land of meat eaters! - Edit

To my knowledge, this is the only true vegetarian restaurant on the island of São Miguel. It is such a gem, with excellent food choices and reasonably priced. The food choices are creative and made with love. Many non-vegetarians eat here as well. The atmosphere is simple and lovely. They offer lunch and there are two set dinner times, 7pm and 9pm and a reservation is usually required as there are only a handful of tables. This is a must when visiting São Miguel!!

Pros: A range of creative choices, Reasonably priced, Good vibes and very good service

Cons: Dinner has only 2 set seatings, Limited number of tables, You might be turned away )-:

worth it - Edit

very friendly, prices really moderate. we had soup, wine, home made ice tea, beet root risotto, quinoa with sweet bitter vegetables and an especially for us made pastry with apple and cinamon for desert. everything vegan or veganized, everything delicious!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Moderate prices

Nice and good restaurant in Azores - Edit

We are just back from Ponta Delgada where we have spended 2 wonderful weeks there. If you are a vegetarian or even vegan (like me) and you are going on vacation there... don't worry too much. You have at least this really nice vegetarian place where to go out for lunch and dinner. The Food is good, the Place is cozy, the service is very good and friendly. A real surprise to find something like this in the middle of the ocean. Inside you will think to be in some european city... It has saved our evenings... On top of that: Prices are very good for lunch and good for dinner. Vegetarian will have the chance to taste the good green tea ice cream (my gf told me it was great... so I believe it)

Pros: excellent service, good food, good value

The place to eat out in Sao Miguel! - Edit

This cosy little restaurant is the place for vegetarians and even non-vegetarians to eat out in Sao Miguel. It is at the moment the only vegetarian restaurant in the islands. The food is delicious and the staff is extremely nice. During one weeks visit we ate there five times. We did not get good food anywhere else in Sao Miguel, so Rotas is the "oasis" of the Azores.

Pros: exellent food , good value, friendly staff

Rob1 27 Apr 2012 - What you write is still very true; I visited the restaurant twice in April 2012 and the food, the choice of wines, the service and the atmosphere were all excellent. Do try to book ahead, though, since on both occasions the restaurant was full with tables only becoming available later in the evening.

An oasis in the desert for vegetarians - Edit

We went to Açores on May 2009 and this was one of the absolutely rare vegetarian places on all the achipelagos.
The restaurant is cosy and confortable, the waiters absolutely lovely and friendly. We had excellent food, and as we went there 2 times we explered the menu:everything was delicious. We suggest also to stop at their cafe in the public garden were you may taste the only fantasious sandwich of your holydays in the Azores.

Great vegetarian food on an island of fish/meat - Edit

I just got back from a week in Ponta Delgada. As my company is vegetarian and I myself don't eat any fish, we checked happycow.com before we left and found the address for Rotas da Ilha Verde. The first night it was closed as it was a holiday (May 1st). Out of 7 days, we had dinner there 4 times, and every time the ambiance was great, the hostess was lovely and the food was amazing!!! As a starter the cheese fondue (with mayonaise ???) is fantastic, but enough for two, the seitan with mushrooms and coffee (though I hate coffee) was heavenly and the "secreda chocolat" (chocolat secret) is Sao Miguel's best kept secret: it is truly wonderful. We were delighted with Rotas, not only because of the great food, atmosphere and hospitality, but also because it meant that we didn't have to eat omelettes, salads or pizza for a week. Also, the food is very reasonably priced. Starters around €4, main courses €9-13, deserts €1,60-3 and local beer/water €1, wine €2.5 per glass and a huge pot of delicious tea for only €1.60. I recommend it to everyone living in or visiting Sao Miguel.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Value for money

Cons: closed on sundays and holidays

Return to Ponta Delgada Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rotas da Ilha Verde closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.