First Review by Merciless666

Satisfying - Edit

I came here with my vegan bf and non vegan sister and friend. We all enjoyed the food here, especially my non vegan friend.
The wraps were fresh and full of flavour. The restaurant was tidy and cute. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

*Visited May, 2016

Pros: Tasty, Friendly staff

good food, awful business hours - Edit

So, on top of the generally awful opening hours (tues-sun 12-6pm), this place is often randomly closed for NO REASON. This is frustrating because I've gone out of my way to eat there on several occasions only to find it closed with no note. The opening hours according to their website have now been further reduced to mon-fri 12-6, even though the board outside says differently.

Having got that out of my system, the food, price, and service here is fantastic. The interior is comfortable enough though not exactly cosy.

They have a selection of cakes and teas/coffees and their daily soup is good from experience - I especially love that they have a small portion option.

The main dishes are really tasty and VERY CHEAP for that area/a vegan place. I can recommend the salad bowls - and people next to me got the quesadillas and scrambles and those looked really good too.

If you can catch this place when it's open you will probably be really happy with your choice.

Pros: price, portion, taste

Cons: business hours, randomly is shut sometimes, atmosphere inside

Really delicious! - Edit

Rootz is a vegetarian eatery in Berlin Kreuzberg, that offers almost every meal also as a vegan option and a big choice of yummy food. Rootz also has an outside area, perfect for summer wheather! I discovered this place on a the 'vegan tours berlin' foodtour, so I had the chance to try many different things on the menue and share it with the other people. My favorite was the quesadilla. Normally it is hard to find a vegan quesadilla in Berlin, but here they even had 3 kind of them, and my favorite one was the "breakfast quesadilla". Also the potatao rosemary balls with some dip were amazing. They are also serving some healthy bowls, like the quinoa bowl, hummus bowl, guacamole bole, mexican bowl. And they offer wraps, burgers, and a daily soup. The prices are good. I saw that they have some huge pieces cakes as well, but I did not try any, this time. But I will come back here for sure, because some of the cakes looked so yummy and I want to try the "scrumbled tofu" for breakfast and some of their burgers one day, as well!

Pros: big choice, almost everything can be ordered vegan as well, good prices

Excellent! - Edit

I loved this place! The food was really good, the bbq seitan burger was delicious and I had a spiced orange cheesecake that was heavenly. They have gluten free options and the menu has symbols for stuff they can make gluten free instead. The service is good, people are nice and friendly, and they have outdoor tables which are quite nice in the summer. I'd totally recommend going there!

Great Burgers - Edit

I went there with my (omni) boyfriend, we both took vegan options of their burgers. Unfortunately, cannot remember the exact name of the burger we took but it was definitely really tasty and the price was more than ok for us. Totally worth a visit. Moreover, the restrooms are really clean and nice, which is always a plus.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly prices , Nice venue

Cons: Portion size ok,could be bigger though^^

Fantastic place! - Edit

Rootz was one of my favourite finds in Berlin! I was there in August and was able to take advantage of the outdoor seating - the front of the building is painted with lots of colourful root vegetables and looks very inviting. The burgers are great, and I think all of them can be veganised. Always check for the daily specials as well - I had the spicy Mexican burger from the menu, but my boyfriend got the special and it was amazing! The cakes are also fantastic and there are plenty of vegan options. We tried the peanut butter devil's food cake and a salted caramel cupcake which was sublime. Highly recommended for a quick lunch or a leisurely tea and cake break.

Pros: Excellent vegan cakes, Great atmosphere

great place - Edit

rootz is located in a pretty decorated building with lots of room. it has a very nice relaxed athmosphere. the girl who was serving us was very friendly and joyfull. we ate wrap and bagel and they were both hot and tasty. a nice variety of food, with soups and also a daily changing dish.

it is located very close to the Schlessiger Tor station

they also serves breakfast but apparently only in the weekend.

Pros: great atmospehere, friendly staff, good food

Decent food - Edit

I've had a lot of vegan sandwiches and burgers in my life. This place is good, but not impressive or outstanding. Decent price.

They also advertise "best cake in Kreuzberg". Maybe I haven't had any other vegan cake in Kreuzberg, but I didn't think the cake was the best. It was good, but not best.

Overall, if your friends are going, don't say no, but I wouldn't cross town to go here.

Pros: All-veg

Cons: Not impressive

Great food! - Edit

I was there earlier this month (July 2013) and loved it! It was really close to my hostel, the boat hostel near the wall. It was walking distance and I fell in love with the food. Finding veggie options in Europe has been a challenge sometimes but not in Germany. It's a little hard to find the place as the sign is painted on the wall, but it's a self-service all veggie menu. I had the veggie wrap and it was one of the best meals I've had in Europe this summer in my backpacking adventures! There was also free wi-fi! GREAT PLACE!

Pros: all veggie, good price, free wi-fi

Cons: hard to find

toll - Edit

Ich bin Veganerin und komme extra aus Berlin-Spandau raus nach Kreuzberg für das Rootz. Es gibt hier vegan und vegetarische Gerichte, die in der Karte ganz klar gekennzeichnet sind. Lasst euch einfach überraschen, selbst meine beste Freundin (sie ist Alles-Esser) ist begeistert vom Rootz und kommt gerne mit, vegan schlemmen.

Weiter so.

Pros: vegan fast food, lecker, freundlich

"Currywurst"? - Edit

My friends and me came here especially for the Rootz "Currywurst", the vegan version of a typical - and famous - German fast food dish. We were pretty curious because we had never tried anything similar. Unfortunately that very day there was a problem with the delivery service, so: no "currywurst"!

We had vegan wraps and fries instead, the latter made of fresh potatoes . The wraps were pretty good, although not very special.

My friends had smoothies which were quite icy (probably great in the summertime, on a cold winter day not so), myself a good soy cappuccino.

Among the cakes there was just one vegan version, a chocolate cake with some type of peanut butter on top. Not bad, but after testing a couple of vegan places in Berlin not super-super-delicious.

Informal atmosphere, very friendly staff, low prices.

Pros: good value, friendly staff

Liked it... - Edit

The staff were nice and the food was pretty good. I had a vegan currywurst, which I wasn't overjoyed with, but I'm glad I tried it, to get an idea of what a lot of people were eating.

It was clean, friendly and had a good selection. Nice one!

Pros: Good selection, Affordable, Friendly staff

Pleasant space + vegan-friendly :) - Edit

The place is spacious and pleasant and also has outdoor sitting, plus they have free wifi :)

The staff is friendly, they have an English menu and all the vegan options are clearly marked on the menu.
I had the grilled veg wrap which was good.

The only thing missing was a better selection of vegan cakes.

Pros: spacious, tasty, wifi

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rootz closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.