CLOSED: Rootsie-Ital

n/a

36 Kronprindsens Gade, St. Thomas, Us Virgin Islands, Caribbean

St. Thomas vegan restaurant. Buffet-style servings. Breaded cauliflower, pasta, and more Ital food. Take a taxi or the open air buses. Reported closed to HappyCow. Closed Mon.

Categories: Vegan, Buffet, Take-out, Caribbean, Ital

First Review by cute_as_a_button

Soon Come - Edit

I will be most likely making this place my main staple for the Five nights I will be in St. Thomas. Even though I have never been there, I can just FEEL the vibes pouring out! I know it will be IRIE and ITAL! I give thanks for the LINK! HAPPY COW ROCKS!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healty Cuisine, Friendly Staff

Love this place!!! - Edit

We found Rootsie's after about 3 days on St Thomas. We got there about 2:30pm and ordered 6 plates. He he gave us an extra plate because, well, he is just that kind of person. His food was wonderful. I think he makes his own tofu, I've only had tofu like that once before, from someone that made it themselves. It was so good if he hadn't said it was tofu I wouldn't have guessed by the flavor. (didn't taste like meat either) everything he made was wonderful. I would recommend it to everyone, even the meat eating friends everyone has that are skeptical about vegetarian food. Very filling, but not heavy, completely satisfying meal. And the price is good too. His son has a restaurant on the other side of the island too.

Pros: excelent food , healthy, good value

Cons: only take out, not in phone book

Ras Ngosi 14 Mar 2011 - I give thanks for your review. . . I will go there as soon as I land!

Authentic Caribbean cooking! - Edit

Rootsie's was a fantastic experience! I had a hard time finding vegan food all week, as I was in meetings and had to stay close to the Marriott resort. On my last day there, I used the Happy Cow app and came across this hidden gem. It's definitly off the beaten path, but most cab drivers will know of it.
The place itself is tiny - one room, one table. Rootsie changes the menu daily depending on what he has in the garden. He'll scoop you up a large plate of food, and will explain to you that this is the authentic Caribbean cooking - his grandmother's recipes. The food was soooo tasty! He doesn't cook with oils at all, only with coconut milk. The fried cauliflower was to die for!
Rootsie himself is a very kind soul, and I had the priveledge of enjoying lunch and great conversation with him. I was really touched by the fact that during the course of my lunch, he stepped away to feed 3 local men that were hard on their luck. He is a really kind person, with a warm and caring heart, and this was an amazing experience.
I will be traveling to the islands for business every 3 months and will definitly go back every trip I take to visit Rootsie.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Great, authentic food, local flavors

Cons: very limited seating

Contributions +32

Who Knows? - Edit

My cruise was docked in Saint Thomas for one day only. Unfortunately that one day was a Monday, which turns out is the only day of the week Rootsie's Ital is closed. I had to find this out from a local after trying to get the door open for several minutes outside the restaurant.

It's very walkable from where the taxis drop you off in Charlotte Amalie. If life ever brings me back to Saint Thomas, I'd love to eat here.

Cons: closed on mondays

Ras Ngosi 22 Feb 2013 - I will be going in April! I'll let you know how it turns out. . . Sorry you couldn't get to taste. . . I'm so Excited to go. Perfect for me being a Rasta who is vegan.

Has CLOSED: Rootsie-Ital closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.