Roots Market

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 443-535-9321

5805 Clarksville Square Dr (at Rt 108), Clarksville, Maryland, USA, 21029

Natural food market specializing in all natural and organic food products. All organic fresh fruit and vegetable. Bulk staples, packaged foods, beer and wine, body care products, fresh baked breads, herbs & supplements, and more. Has another location in Olney and operates other socially-responsible businesses within the same shopping center: Nest (clothing and gift boutique), Great Sage (organic, vegetarian restaurant) and Bark (natural pet food and supplies).

First Review by sophiafalafel

Awesome - Edit

Never a disappointing visit to Roots! So many vegan options including raw, gluten free, local, organic products. Love all the little samples they offer on weekends. Their to-go items are DELICIOUS! Of course the prices are higher than usual. They also have the smallest amount of meat I've seen sold at a grocery store.

Pros: very vegan friendly, samples, YUMMINESS

Cons: parking on weekends

So many fun prepared vegan options here! - Edit

Some of my favorite items at Roots: the vegan grilled vegetable quesadillas with salsa and guac, the "crab" cakes, and the vegan Thai chicken salad. They also tend to carry all the fun new vegan products on the market. I first found Qrunch burgers here, most grocery stores don't carry this brand which is my favorite new veggie burger because they are made with 100% recognizable ingredients like millet, pinto beans and quinoa. I also found vegan raviolis, a few different varieties (mushrooms, artichoke and spinach, and tofu cheese) in the fridge. They are a favorite dinner item of mine.

If you are vegan and have a sweet tooth, do NOT miss their bakery. They have a huge selection of items like fun flavored cupcakes and delectable pecan bars. Their non-dairy ice cream section can't be beat.

Lovely market with in-house vegan baking - Edit

This local, independently-owned market is such a refresher from the large, retail-chain supermarkets. The selection of organic produce is wonderful, and the prices are very good! The store is well-stocked with anything one might desire, from high quality sea salts to bath and body products! It's also very inviting with so many sampling stations throughout the store! Don't forget to bring your own bag(s)! However, because it is rather isolated from much of the hullabaloo of the nearby metropolitan areas, it might be best to plan an outing to Roots if in the area (i.e. on the 95 corridor?), which could include the nearby restaurant, Great Sage.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 04, 2008

Ok, so I have to add that this place is even more amazing than in 2008. Now, Roots Market has its own in-house vegan and gluten-free baking… including cupcakes (carrot, cookies & cream, chocolate, lemon blueberry, raspberry, pumpkin, almond, pistachio, mocha, chocolate peanut butter), cookies (peanut butter chocolate, chocolate chip, sugar, oatmeal raisin), cookie bars (brownies, pecan, apple, blueberry) and quick breads (pumpkin bread) with vegan gluten-free options, too!!! They have cakes, too! This place is even better by the year!!

The prices for some of their items can't be beat, and they let you know it with shelf tags. They also have "clearance" stuff in the back of day-old baked goods and some other discontinued/ past "due date" items.

Go here, I love it! One problem: I always buy more than expected...

Pros: Produce, Vegan baking!, Samples

Cons: Far drive

great food 4 vegans - Edit

I found roots on happycow. My mom took my 2 that area 2 look at apartments because I am moving somewhere in that area. We shopped at roots then had a great dinner at the great sage. Everything is organic: u know it is good 4 u and it tastes great. I never 8 organic b4 and I thought organic stuff would taste bad. I was very wrong. It is a lot easier 2 eat vegan with products made with daiya "cheese" in it I especially love tofurky "cheese" pizza made with daiya vegan cheese. (All the vegan cheeses except daiya taste really bad) Now I absolutely have 2 live in walking distance or have public transportation 2 conscious corner from my apartment. Luckily I haven't picked out an apartment yet. The problem is there are no apartments (that I know of) in walking distance or have public transportation that is in walking distance 2 roots. I can't drive. Please contact me by adding a comment 2 my happycow page if u can help me.

Pros: vegan friendly, organic, daiya "cheese" products

Cons: price, meat isle, location

Fantastic! - Edit

Absolutely delightful grocery store with a great selection of fresh veggies, vegan essentials like cheeses and mock-meats, premade vegan meals, vegan desserts, lots of raw foods, and an excellent selection of natural cleaning supplies.

Pros: Great selection, Friendly staff, Great location

I love Roots! - Edit

I really enjoy supporting an independent shop rather than a chain. Their customer service and prices cannot be beat. The huge produce section is bursting with local, seasonal, and organic goodies & the prepared foods are sooo good. I could eat the "beef" and "chicken" vegan quesadillas every single day! My only gripe is I wish there was a Roots closer to home.

Pros: fair prices, helpful staff, delicious prep'd foods

Cons: long drive

Great Store - Edit

This store has a great selection of foods for vegetarians, vegans, and organic eaters. It definitely has the best selection of the famous vegetarian lines of foods, like Amy's, Silk, Annie's, etc. The prices are fabulous overall, though some items I still choose to buy at the grocery store due to lower cost there. Roots tends to have good sales at times, and I love their clearance items (the discontinued and expired stuff, which I have not had any problems with). I also appreciate their fresh packed food, such as eggless tofu or soy chicken salad. I highly recommend Roots.

Pros: Great selection, Great value, Friendly staff

Cons: Some pricey items

Great - Edit

This is a large organic food store with a wide variety of produce, grocery, personal care, cheese, vitamins, and prepared meals. They have a ton of organic produce, bulk organic nuts/granola mixes, cheeses, breads, home products, personal products, and grocery items. There are a lot of vegan and vegetarian options.

Pros: Large store, Large produce section, A lot of vegan options

Return to Clarksville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Roots Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2066 times since Aug 2007.