Roots Cafe

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves breakfast and lunch and offers a child's menu. Serves a mixture of cuisines including western. Est. 2016 and added meat to the menu in 2017. Open Mon 9:00am-3:00pm, Tue 10:00am-3:00pm, Wed-Thu 9:00am-3:00pm, Fri 10:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, Western, Fast food, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by deadpledge

Great venue - Edit

Went last night with 18 of the NE Veggie's. After a lovely starter of hummus and I think sweet potato dips I had Jamaican black bean, sweet potato jerk curry and coconut rice.... it was simple and really tasty at the same time. Getting the recipe to make as one of my staples which says it all. Really welcoming venue. Price is low. I wouldn't have thought twice about paying 20% more so they may want to rethink that and make sure they stay in business for the next time I'm passing. Unfortunately I don't live close or would be a regular

Pros: Tasty whole food, Welcoming, Price

Cons: It's not close to my house!

Taking cooking back to its roots - Edit

I never thought I would see the day that my home town would ever have a vegetarian cafe, but it has finally happened. It even made the local papers. Located on the busy Westoe Road and just a short 10-15 minute walk from either South Shields or Chichester metro station it is perfectly placed and offers a good selection of vegetarian and vegan food, which is labelled including breakfasts, soups, a burger, pizza, soupli, a fritatta and cakes. A kids menu is also available. The prices are very affordable and we got the soupli (£3) and a mushroom, onion, pepper and vegan cheese pizza also for £3. Great value for money. Most importantly the food was nice and I particularly enjoyed the soupli, which were tomato flavoured rice balls. The pizza was good too although personally I would have liked a richer tasting tomato base. We also got a hazelnut almond latte, an americano and some 'notella' cookies. In total we spent just over £10. Inside the cafe has a nice decor and atmosphere making it a lovely place for families and the staff were very friendly and it was obvious they have a passion in what they do. We have since been back for lunch and the menu has now expanded with more vegan options such as the bean and walnut burger, veggie quinoa burger and a selection of vegan cakes. We got both for just £3.50 each and both burgers were nice. We will definitely be back.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-18

Pros: Good Vegan Options (labelled), Great value for Money, Nice staff and atmosphere

Cons: Not 100% Vegan

Return to South Shields Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Roots Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.