Roots and Fruits

• Vegetarian

10 Grand Arcade (at Briggate), Leeds, England, LS1 6PG

Small veggie food cafe in the city centre. Offers vegetarian meals and some vegan ones, Cakes made by That Old Chestnut, a range of hot and cold drinks. Meals range from veggie breakfasts to soups, Mexican, lunch staples such as jacket potatoes and burgers.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, British, English

First Review by Stevie

fantastic - Edit

This place was fantastic. The menu was packed with vegan options all at reasonable prices. there was something for if you wanted to be healthy but also plenty of nice comfort food. I had the beanball sub with vegan cheese sauce, it was amazing. I will definitely be going here again, what a good find!

Pros: lots of vegan options , friendly staff, reasonable prices

Cons: none!

Great Vegan Options & Friendly Vegetarian Cafe - Edit

Roots & Fruits is a vegetarian and vegan cafe, in the Grand Arcade and is very welcoming and cosy and very busy on a Saturday lunchtime. I often wonder in places like Roots and Fruits, what the percentage of customers are vegetarian and vegan, I somehow think carnivores make up a big percentage.

We managed to get a table for two and perused the menu, with its interesting vegan options, with more on their daily specials board. I could not resist jerk jackfruit, served with vegan cheesy sauce and sour coconut cream, plantain, yams, sweet potato and tortillas, totally delicious and the dish renewed my enthusiasm to utilise jackfruit more in my cooking. My husband had grilled halloumi and lentil salad, which he loved.

An excellent Americano coffee and a peppermint tea accompanied our lunch. We had a chat with owner Kay, who was very enthusiastic and friendly, I cannot wait to make a return visit.

Pros: Vegan options, Accommodating as to allergies, Friendly and inviting

Great food!.............. BUT - Edit

We were regular customers to this cafe because the food was good, unfortunately that came to an abrupt end recently.
We went as a family and ordered three meals as we treat our son to lunch when we visit him at Leeds Uni.
But on this occasion we waited 50 minutes then was told it was not ready and in fact they lost our order! We were told to wait another 10 mins for the order, at which point I was told my meal was finished as they had no jack fruit! Great food, BUT its very chaotic in there. We ate elsewhere.

Pros: Nice food, Nice arcade setting, Polite staff

Cons: Late service, NO service, Unreliable chef

Love this place - Edit

Firstly, the staff are so welcoming and lovely, it really does make a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The food is delicious and has plenty of vegan options- I tried jackfruit for the first time and wasn't disappointed. Vegan cake for dessert was great, I even had a marshmallow hot chocolate which I don't think I've eaten in about 11 years so that was amazing. My friend insisted her sticky toffee pudding was the best she'd ever eaten.

Pros: Lovely staff, Amazing food

nice and friendly place - Edit

i went there once while traveling to leeds. it was recommended by many fellow vegans. the staff was very friendly and they had quite a bid choice on menu. unfortunately no gluten free cakes so i took just a tea but my friend had a sandwich and it was really tasty looking.

Pros: friendly staff , nice atom

Great new menu - Edit

Visited here recently for the first time since new management took over, I have always liked this cafe but was excited to see a new menu and was not disappointed. I had the jerk jackfruit which was absolutely delicious, the decor has been updated and we sat outside to enjoy the recently renovated Grand Arcade which has thankfully become more popular and will ensure this great cafe continues to thrive.

Pros: plenty of vegan options, nice surroundings

Survival of the Fittest - Edit

A very nice place in the astonishingly revitalised Grand Arcade. This location is what makes Roots and Fruits special. There's something for everyone here from Italian and Mexican dishes to curries; so much choice and lots of vegan options too. It's always worth checking out the specials board and seeing what they have for desert. The specials board is always vegan. However, it has to be the all-day breakfast for me. You can now choose 5 items to make your breakfast as special as you want it to be. It's always a winner, and comes with a pot of tea or unlimited (within reason) filter coffee. Fair prices and ultra friendly atmosphere. After changing hands in Autumn 2013, the transition period has seen Roots and Fruits remain an established fixture on the Leeds meat-free scene. Whilst it was sad to see the previous owners retire, they can be assured their legacy is in good hands. I wish them the very best if they ever happen to read this one day. You made our visits to Leeds most special, and this will continue onwards and upwards.

Pros: all-day breakfast, international dishes, friendly

Massive improvement in recent years! - Edit

I went here a few times years ago but was always disappointed, the main appeal of the place was the fact it was vegetarian but that was about it. A recent visit completely changed my mind as it has now ditched the dull 1970s take on veggie food and caught up with the times! My whole family enjoyed their meals, and I wouldn't hesitate to return and try more of their menu as it was all delicious, healthy & well presented.

Pros: Healthy, tasty food, Child friendly, BYO policy

Cool place - Edit

Central located and spacious cafe offering interesting but healthy meals. We had: falafel with hummus&pitta, some 'whoefoods' bowl with rice, beans, guacamole, mango etc and a burger. We all liked it, portions were good and we left satisfied.

We had to wait a while for out meals though.

Pros: interesting menu, friendly staff, big portions

Cons: long waiting time

Very Impressed - Edit

I had never been to Roots and Fruits before but on a recent trip to Leeds decided it was time I did after reading some positive reviews. The location of the cafe is perfect really, just a short walk from the train station located in the grand arcade. Upon entering the cafe the staff were very friendly and we were given menus almost immediately. Firstly, Roots and Fruits has a great selection of international food on offer such as Italian, Thai and Mexican as well as an all day breakfast. We decided to order the 5 bean Chilli Burritos, side of chips (home made) and salad which were excellent and a pot of Rooibos tea. The burritos certainly hit the spot and unfortunately we were too full to sample the churros from the dessert menu. Definitely next time though.

Pros: Good selection of food, Nice atmosphere, Inexpensive

Nice place to eat in Leeds City Centre - Edit

Went to this nice little place in November 2014 and their food is really nice especially the burger. Pleanty of Vegan food to choose from and the staff are really friendly. Plus vegan marshmellows :) Highly recommended

Pros: seating in and out , good service and friendly staff, good choice for vegans

Cons: bit hard to find, small

Wonderful. - Edit

I uses to come here when I was a child with my mum (who would take me as I was a vegetarian). I even wrote my GCSE business studies project on this cafe! It's fairly recently had new owners, and it's given the place a great new atmosphere! A must visit for any Vegetarian or Vegan that is visiting or living in Leeds!

Pros: Clean, Friendly, Loads of options

such a lovely place - Edit

I tour the UK with work always looking for places like this. It's wonderful. Caters for all veggie/vegan/ovo/gf needs. Good hearty food for big eaters like me. With a lovely service from great staff. And in a nice relaxed atmosphere. WE NEED THESE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!!

wow - Edit

Wow indeed. I used to come in here when it was the only vegetarian cafe in Leeds giving it my custom hoping it would change. It had no energy, no life, no warm welcome, often no welcome at all and a dull menu.
New owners took it over in November 2013 and this was my first visit since then.
It now has energy, a vibrancy, life. The new owner was welcoming, chatty, friendly & lovely.
I am sure the changes may not have been welcomed by some of its previous regulars, but, they will be replaced by many more new regulars.
A good varied menu with lots of vegan options.
If you haven't been here for a while, it is time to come back, if you haven't tried it at all, now is the time.
Roots and Fruits has regenerated and is rapidly heading back to being the fantastic vegetarian hang out it used to be.
I so look forward to my next visit.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 19, 2014

Pros: Good location & welcome. , Relaxing & energising feel. , A great varied menu.

Cons: Too easy to sit and watch world go by.

Change for the better! - Edit

In reply to the previous reviewer. Phew. I've been coming to Roots and Fruits for about ten years now, my pre-show venue which has become as much of the treat on a night out as the opera/concert/play at Leeds Grand next door.

Hearing that it had changed hands we were worried. Anxiety now dispelled after a delicious meal last night.

I opted for my standard, the pakoras, deliciously crisp light clouds of spinach, opinion and potato complemented by with a yogurt and spice dip. Sharing these, in exchange for two of the goat's cheese fritters with onion marmalade, I realised that whatever the show next door at Leeds Grand was like, the evening would count as a success by the food alone. The main courses proved equally as tasty, served unfussily but with a nice finishing touch: my mexican bean and tomato soup accompanied by corn tortillas and sour cream;. My partner's choice, from the daily board, vegetable curry and brown rice - was well seasoned and nicely textured.

The menu hasn't changed radically, but it has improved. It is somehow lighter and fresher. And there appears to be a greater range on the daily special's board. The new owner let us know that the head chef and other staff remain the same, and that they're excited at and enjoying the opportunity of trying out new things and new ways of doing old things, now that the outfit has changed hands.

I'm now thinking of coming up to Leeds with a vegan friend, with the cafe as the main event, and a trip to the city gallery/Henry Moore Institute/theatre as the side dish.

Well done Kay and Richard, and staff. Keep it up.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly atmosphere/staff

Cons: not open until 7.30, no signposting of vegan options on menu

So good we had our wedding lunch here! - Edit

This place has been open for years and although i don't get there too often, when i do i always think i should come more often. Mainly a daytime cafe, so only ever had lunch here but think the food is great with lots of choice and good range of sizes of meal so suits however hungry you are. When we got married at the registry office couldn't think of anywhere we would rather go for lunch afterwards!

Pros: Range of choice, Good value, Friendly staff

Good for a quiet lunch. - Edit

I'm sure the menu hasn't change the whole time its been open, and I'm not sure it needs to. Perfect for lunch during a day of shopping. Small, quiet and friendly. Probably not appropriate for an evening meal. Vegan options available.

Pros: Quiet, Friendly

ok but nothing special really, I'm afraid! - Edit

The food is a bit pricey for what it is, nothing very special... I recommend this place for coffees or a quick lunch but not worth the detour if you're looking for exquisite veggie food... Also the couple who run this place are really nice!

Pros: central, nice coffee

Cons: food is nothing special, a bit pricey

Good family run business - Edit

Nice and friendly service. I found the place a little grubby and I don't like frozen chips or white bread baps and feel that a more wholesome approach to food would not go amiss (I would go more often). However, that said the portions are good and overall the meals are good too. By grubby I don't mean dirty, I refer to old mis-match furniture that's past its sell by date and a feeling of general seediness (reminds me of the old sausage and tomato-buttie cafes). This cafe is in a quiet part of Leeds (which is a pity) so it's good that we support these hard working owners.

Pros: good portions, friendly staff

Cons: a little seedy, white baps and frozen chips

Lovely place just off city centre shopping - Edit

I've been a guest to this lovely place a few times and would recommend it to anyone no matter what your personal diet requires. The people there are very caring and have great attitude towards food and talking to their customers. (They even do vegan garlic bread, how good is that)

Prices are absolutely moderate (£5-7 for a meal) so that you end up paying £10 to £15 for meal + drinks + sides and maybe even a coffee after your food.

The first time I was there, it almost seemed like we were their only customers and it felt a bit awkward, but thanks to the lovely people it quickly became a very nice place. And since my second visit I'm not so worried about their income anymore, there are some other customers as well ;)

They restaurant is located in the Grand Arcades just 150 m away from Primark/Headrow.

Pros: Great People, Great Food, Moderate Prices

Good food - Edit

During my walk through Leeds I stumbled upon this jewel. At first I hesitated to go in, because I was the only customer in this place that seemed more like a Greek taverna to me, than a place in England. (I went there around 4 I think, so I guess it's understandable that I was the only customer for some time). The staff was very friendly and I promptly got my Mexican soup that was served with some Tortillas.
The food was really, really good without being fatty or overly salty and the price was fine as well :)

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly staff

An unpretentious, cosy little cafe. - Edit

I rely on this cosy veggie cafe when in Leeds - the food is good, the staff are welcoming and it's only a short walk from the shopping centre..

Roots and Fruits has been there for years and if there was any justice the lovely and dedicated couple who run the place would get medals for their services to the vegetarian community.

Gawdblessem!

Pros: Nice food, Friendly

Best Vegetarian food in Leeds - Edit

This is a great place to get good vegetarian food in Leeds.
The owners are really friendly and it has a great atmosphere.
It is very close to the grand theatre and lots of good bars close by too.

Pros: Staff, Cost, Taste

cosy friendly cafe - Edit

This is a nice little cafe offering a big choice of vegetarian and vegan dishes. It looks a little dated and it is set in a shopping mall which is a little run down but don't let this put you off as the cafe is quite charming and the quality of food is very good.

Pros: very good food, good vegan choice, friendly

Cons: very high stairs to toilet

Eating at Roots and Fruits. - Edit

This place gets pretty busy at week-ends and is pretty popular. There is an all day breakfast that is alright, sometimes a bit hit and miss (sometimes the beans are only warm/the mushrooms a little overcooked), for the vegan option you can ask for an extra sausage or hash brown instead of the egg.

Worth a trip if you're hungry, and it's the only vegetarian cafe in Leeds!

Pros: vegetarian cafe!, some vegan desserts, close to the city centre

Cons: coffee served in a cup, food could sometimes be better

Our favourite café - Edit

Roots & Fruits is an old favourite. It's been there for years and Leeds wouldn't be the same without it.

There's lots to choose from - soups, burritos, jacket potatoes, burger and chips, not-meatballs, pasta, sandwiches, an ever-changing specials board, and the all-day breakfast which is my personal favourite. Many dishes can be requested as vegan, too, these are marked in the menu. There's also a good range of drinks, including delicious smoothies, Fentiman's pop (though unfortunately no Dandelion and Burdock!), and coffee which they refill for you for free. And don't forget to leave room for the puddings!

It's definitely a cafe rather than a restaurant, with a colourful theme and an assortment of chairs and tables, but very homely - they often have a Beach Boys CD playing quietly in the background. It's also completely unpretentious, the owners and staff are friendly and helpful.

I live in London now, but whenever I'm back in Leeds, Roots & Fruits is near the top of my to-do list!

Pros: Wide range of dishes, Friendly, Reasonable prices

Wow! What choice! - Edit

An excellent range of soups, substantial starters or light snacks, and hefty meals. Flavourful, too, and smoothies and juices too. Grand Arcade and that area north of the main shopping area of Leeds has certainly come up in the world. It still has the look of a caff, though, with plastic tablecloths.

Pros: choice, taste, friendly service

Cons: plastic tablecloths

Roots and Fruits, Leeds. - Edit

Small cafe located within shopping arcade. Relaxed atmosphere. Daily specials board plus regular menu. Of about 37 main course items on the menu approximately half are vegan or can be adapted to be vegan. Friendly staff and good coffee.

Pros: friendly staff, central location

Cons: could offer more vegan desserts

Nice, home cooked style food - Edit

This place is quite good value and has a lovely cosy atmosphere. Everytime I go in it seems to have a few long time regular customers. Nice range of dishes, nothing too unusual, but all pretty tasty. Has a very home cooked cafe type feel, not for those looking for posh gourmet.

Pros: Lovely cosy atmosphere, Tasty, filling meals, Friendly service

Cons: Could perhaps do with more variety

Lovely lunch - Edit

This cafe was easy to find, and is close to the city centre. We had a lovely lunch which cost about £15 for 2 main meals and drinks. The food was tasty, well presented and freshly prepared. The portion size was fair and the atmosphere was nice. I would recommend it if you are in Leeds.

Pros: Good food, Nice atmosphere, Quick service

Cons: Small portions

Great Little Place - Edit

Tucked away in a currently run-down arcade, this cafe doesn't appear to have anything going for it. But it's a definite winner. The food is great with a lot of dishes suitable or adaptable for vegans and the prices are great too. It's a quaint family-run place so not for those looking for somewhere posh!

Pros: great food, nice staff, portions are just right

Cons: decor looks a bit tatty

Roots and Fruits, Leeds - Edit

I had lunch once here recently in this place in Leeds city centre. Vegan options on the menu meant no probs getting a vegan meal. Staff were very helpful

Pros: Nice staff

Return to Leeds Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Roots and Fruits closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6727 times since Aug 2007.