Roots and Fruits

+44-1132428313

10 Grand Arcade (at Briggate), Leeds, England, LS1 6PG

Small, airy cafe within the Grand Arcade in the city centre. Offers vegan and vegetarian meals, range of tea, hot and cold drinks. Meals range from veggie breakfast and soups to lunch staples such as jacket potatoes and burgers. Specials board is all vegan. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-7:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, British

First Review by Stevie

Loved it - Edit

Visited on a chilled out Monday evening. Staff were lovely, great atmosphere. I highly recommend the Jerk Jackfruit, so tasty and fulfilling! My husband also loved his lasagne. A member of staff was also really helpful as I have a severe Brazil Nut allergy and he went through all their cake ingredients to check what was safe. Really appreciated it because that carrot cake was top notch! Well worth a visit, we'll be back :)

Pros: Great vegan options, Excellent value, Delicious

Vegan delight! - Edit

I was highly impressed on my visit to Roots and Fruits. We visited on a Saturday lunchtime and just managed to get a seat. Service was excellent and there are many vegan options! My food was delicious, reasonably priced. The smoothies are also great! A must-visit.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-23

Pros: Great vegan options, Delicious vegan food, Good service

Cons: Very busy

Lovely place for veggies and vegans alike! a must visit! - Edit

This is one of the best veggie cafes I've been in. Its in a great location within the Grand Arcade and the interior is cosy and friendly. The staff are just brilliant and all the food is reasonably priced. I will definitely be coming back here!!

Pros: Great interior and atmosphere, Friendly staff, Good variety on the menu

One of our favourites - Edit

Been visiting Roots for a few years now and even make the trip from Sheffield to go there. Always a warm welcome and great food. It's recently become more vegan focussed which is all good as far as I'm concerned. Daily specials are all vegan and always include a burger of the day. Regular meals include Jerk Jackfruit, all day breakfast and falafels.
Highly recommended. Also cake is available from local bakeries.

Pros: Good food, Nice surroundings, Warm welcome

fantastic - Edit

This place was fantastic. The menu was packed with vegan options all at reasonable prices. there was something for if you wanted to be healthy but also plenty of nice comfort food. I had the beanball sub with vegan cheese sauce, it was amazing. I will definitely be going here again, what a good find!

Pros: lots of vegan options , friendly staff, reasonable prices

Cons: none!

Great Vegan Options & Friendly Vegetarian Cafe - Edit

Roots & Fruits is a vegetarian and vegan cafe, in the Grand Arcade and is very welcoming and cosy and very busy on a Saturday lunchtime. I often wonder in places like Roots and Fruits, what the percentage of customers are vegetarian and vegan, I somehow think carnivores make up a big percentage.

We managed to get a table for two and perused the menu, with its interesting vegan options, with more on their daily specials board. I could not resist jerk jackfruit, served with vegan cheesy sauce and sour coconut cream, plantain, yams, sweet potato and tortillas, totally delicious and the dish renewed my enthusiasm to utilise jackfruit more in my cooking. My husband had grilled halloumi and lentil salad, which he loved.

An excellent Americano coffee and a peppermint tea accompanied our lunch. We had a chat with owner Kay, who was very enthusiastic and friendly, I cannot wait to make a return visit.

Pros: Vegan options, Accommodating as to allergies, Friendly and inviting

Great food!.............. BUT - Edit

We were regular customers to this cafe because the food was good, unfortunately that came to an abrupt end recently.
We went as a family and ordered three meals as we treat our son to lunch when we visit him at Leeds Uni.
But on this occasion we waited 50 minutes then was told it was not ready and in fact they lost our order! We were told to wait another 10 mins for the order, at which point I was told my meal was finished as they had no jack fruit! Great food, BUT its very chaotic in there. We ate elsewhere.

Pros: Nice food, Nice arcade setting, Polite staff

Cons: Late service, NO service, Unreliable chef

Love this place - Edit

Firstly, the staff are so welcoming and lovely, it really does make a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The food is delicious and has plenty of vegan options- I tried jackfruit for the first time and wasn't disappointed. Vegan cake for dessert was great, I even had a marshmallow hot chocolate which I don't think I've eaten in about 11 years so that was amazing. My friend insisted her sticky toffee pudding was the best she'd ever eaten.

Pros: Lovely staff, Amazing food

nice and friendly place - Edit

i went there once while traveling to leeds. it was recommended by many fellow vegans. the staff was very friendly and they had quite a bid choice on menu. unfortunately no gluten free cakes so i took just a tea but my friend had a sandwich and it was really tasty looking.

Pros: friendly staff , nice atom

Great new menu - Edit

Visited here recently for the first time since new management took over, I have always liked this cafe but was excited to see a new menu and was not disappointed. I had the jerk jackfruit which was absolutely delicious, the decor has been updated and we sat outside to enjoy the recently renovated Grand Arcade which has thankfully become more popular and will ensure this great cafe continues to thrive.

Pros: plenty of vegan options, nice surroundings

Survival of the Fittest - Edit

A very nice place in the astonishingly revitalised Grand Arcade. This location is what makes Roots and Fruits special. There's something for everyone here from Italian and Mexican dishes to curries; so much choice and lots of vegan options too. It's always worth checking out the specials board and seeing what they have for desert. The specials board is always vegan. However, it has to be the all-day breakfast for me. You can now choose 5 items to make your breakfast as special as you want it to be. It's always a winner, and comes with a pot of tea or unlimited (within reason) filter coffee. Fair prices and ultra friendly atmosphere. After changing hands in Autumn 2013, the transition period has seen Roots and Fruits remain an established fixture on the Leeds meat-free scene. Whilst it was sad to see the previous owners retire, they can be assured their legacy is in good hands. I wish them the very best if they ever happen to read this one day. You made our visits to Leeds most special, and this will continue onwards and upwards.

Pros: all-day breakfast, international dishes, friendly

Always fun to visit - Edit

If I'm in Leeds I'll likely drop in to Roots & Fruits for something tasty. They never disappoint.

Pros: Good value for money, Good range of choices, Nice atmosphere

Massive improvement in recent years! - Edit

I went here a few times years ago but was always disappointed, the main appeal of the place was the fact it was vegetarian but that was about it. A recent visit completely changed my mind as it has now ditched the dull 1970s take on veggie food and caught up with the times! My whole family enjoyed their meals, and I wouldn't hesitate to return and try more of their menu as it was all delicious, healthy & well presented.

Pros: Healthy, tasty food, Child friendly, BYO policy

Amazing - Edit

Staff and so sweet and friendly. The food is lovely and overall has a great atmosphere.

Cool place - Edit

Central located and spacious cafe offering interesting but healthy meals. We had: falafel with hummus&pitta, some 'whoefoods' bowl with rice, beans, guacamole, mango etc and a burger. We all liked it, portions were good and we left satisfied.

We had to wait a while for out meals though.

Pros: interesting menu, friendly staff, big portions

Cons: long waiting time

Very Impressed - Edit

I had never been to Roots and Fruits before but on a recent trip to Leeds decided it was time I did after reading some positive reviews. The location of the cafe is perfect really, just a short walk from the train station located in the grand arcade. Upon entering the cafe the staff were very friendly and we were given menus almost immediately. Firstly, Roots and Fruits has a great selection of international food on offer such as Italian, Thai and Mexican as well as an all day breakfast. We decided to order the 5 bean Chilli Burritos, side of chips (home made) and salad which were excellent and a pot of Rooibos tea. The burritos certainly hit the spot and unfortunately we were too full to sample the churros from the dessert menu. Definitely next time though.

Pros: Good selection of food, Nice atmosphere, Inexpensive

great place - Edit

good menu. helpful and friendly staff. good value and delicious food. apparently new management.

Nice place to eat in Leeds City Centre - Edit

Went to this nice little place in November 2014 and their food is really nice especially the burger. Pleanty of Vegan food to choose from and the staff are really friendly. Plus vegan marshmellows :) Highly recommended

Pros: seating in and out , good service and friendly staff, good choice for vegans

Cons: bit hard to find, small

Return to Leeds Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Roots and Fruits closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.