First Review by Jodipiglet

Wonderful over all experience - Edit

We tend to hit new places hard, ordering a bunch of different apps and entrees, with the menu frequently changing at this place, we are looking to returning soon. Ordered the stuffed mushrooms a smokey delight, "Ricotta" calzone and stuffed shells made us yearn for more. More seasoning and thought was needed on the Asian Style Spring Rolls and the Taco Mac & cheese was far from cheesy experience I wanted. Being the only Vegan place in town stake your claim, make it great so even the non veg heads will flock in!

Pros: Attentive Staff, Ever changing menu, Fairly priced / Good portions

Cons: Under seasoned

Definitely Not Bar Food - Edit

Entering Root for the first time you may be confused by the tasteful spartan-industrial interior which gives a hip upscale vibe; yet the four large flat screens broadcasting different sporting shows behind the bar feels like a neighborhood watering hole. The friendly wait staff immediately makes you feel welcome and comfortable, and when you are seated Rob Garpstas, the owner of this unique and wonderful restaurant, comes over to greet you. Once you peruse the menu, observe the plates at the other tables, and witness others enjoying their food, you realize that you are at a place that takes vegan cuisine seriously.
We started with an appetizer of Tofu Mojo De Ajo - which was flash fried tofu with an orange garlic sauce that was both subtle and spicy. For the main course my wife enjoyed a thick and complex White bean and Mushroom Stew - with carrots, celery, mushrooms, white beans and kale. It was served with a delicious bread that is locally baked. I ordered the Lime Curry Tofu - tofu, zucchini and red peppers in a coconut lime curry sauce served over rice noodles that complimented the stew. The portions were large and the presentation was artful, not what one would expect from “bar food.” All options are vegan and the menu changes every four to six weeks. For dessert we enjoyed three locally made cupcakes: lemon, almond, and double chocolate.
Prices are very reasonable. Rob and his staff checked on us throughout the meal, but we felt that we were family rather than customers. If we lived in Lancaster this would be our favorite “go to” restaurant.

Pros: Delicious vegan options, Friendly service, Reasonable prices

Cons: No non-alcoholic beer

solid - Edit

This place is pretty good, and an all vegan place is hard to come by in the area so it is much appreciated. I really loved the atmosphere, it's a really cute place in a nice area, and well decorated inside. I wish that the menu had more options; most seemed to revolve around making traditionally meat dishes vegan besides embracing the more creative, vegetable side of veganism. The food was good, nothing to brag about really but it did the trick. Service was really great, just wish they embraced more of the earthy, veggie, soy etc vegan side!

Pros: service , atmosphere

Cons: smaller menu

I really wanted to like this place... - Edit

Maybe it's because I'm spoiled from living in Philadelphia, but my husband and I were extremely disappointed by the food here. We scheduled a vacation at a Wolf Preserve B&B in Lititz, and I could not wait to drive about 30 minutes away just to try the food at Lancaster's only vegan restaurant. We ordered the seitan wings as an appetizer, which were as hard as rocks and really deep fried beyond the point of tastiness. There was no liquid left in them, and as someone who makes mediocre seitan at home, I was so disappointed that mine was better than theirs. Then my husband got the BBQ bean wrap per the server's recommendation, and I got the BBQ jackfruit calzone. I was really excited to try jackfruit, but this was just bland, and the puff pastry must've been one of the ones I buy from Whole Foods. The bean wrap was okay, but again, nothing to write home about. I wanted to love this place, and I always am excited to find and support new vegan restaurants, but as my husband said, this tastes like bad vegan bar food that was trying to be non-vegan. Rather than making so many fake meats and fried foods, they need to embrace veggies/tofu and create authentic, vegetable-based vegan dishes rather than overly fried and poorly flavored foods.

Pros: glad it's totally vegan

Cons: bad food

Vegan treasure - Edit

I never knew that wine was generally not vegan. But that is the only type they serve here. Same conscientiousness for the other alcohols they serve.

Menu changes monthly or quarterly because all menu items are created fresh. No microwaving.

Pros: Open late, daily

Root: Casual/Friendly With Delicious Food - Edit

I have nothing but positive things to say about Root. I heard of its existence from a friend and have since been there for brunch and dinner. The menu is varied (specials and brunch rotate every 4-6 weeks), the cost is very reasonable. Everything I've tried had been delicious.

Both times I've visited, the sign invited us to seat ourselves. The staff has been friendly and payment was rendered via iPad. Also, there were vegan beer/wine options and, I suspect, a full bar. TVs are installed for those looking to watch a game or the news as well.

In short, Root is a wonderful casual vegan dining experience in the heart of Lancaster.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 05, 2016

Lancaster Vegan - Edit

Cool place. Excellent food. Great service. I was there for Sunday brunch. We ordered a spinach strata and an Italian potato skillet. Both were fantastic and very filling. I will definitely be back!

Pros: great food, great service , great price

The root of all delicious delicacies - Edit

The root is a vegans delight. Their menu is unique and serves a variety of dishes. Although I felt that the portion sizes were a little small, the quality of the food is fantastic. I have been here twice so far and plan to come back often!

Pros: high quality

Cons: small portions

Return to Lancaster Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Root closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2144 times since Jan 2016.