Rooster

• Veg-friendly
Contact 314-241-8118

1104 Locust St (at N Tucker Blvd), St Louis, Missouri, USA, 63102

Serves meat, vegan options available. Options for vegans, crepe specialties, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by meg25

Waitress was TERRIBLE (!), Manager was great - Edit

Just went to Rooster for breakfast. The word 'vegan' does appear on their menu but the staff is NOT educated at all about what it means. Our very unfriendly and unhelpful waitress needed an explanation when I asked for non-dairy coffee creamer (I seriously had to explain that one). And then seemed annoyed when I asked for a vegan crepe (chef's choice - I like EVERYTHING vegan). She said they would just take the cheese off and I could have eggs and veggies. We decided to just leave rather than explain veganism to her. On the way out, we accidentally ran into the mgr who asked about our visit. He saved the day - re-seated us, and served us a very nice vegan breakfast. Too bad we were already frustrated and wasted 30 minutes with the very bad waitress. Be warned. And be patient. The food was very good but the experience was not.

Pros: The food was good., Manager made up for his very lousy waitress.

Cons: Wait staff doesn't know what "vegan" means., Said wait staff was very unfriendly and unhelpful.

Pretty good, not really for vegetarians - Edit

This is a nice, laid back place which focus on locally grown or raised food. Most dishes have meat or cheese or dairy. Everything was fine, but I did not see that much more vegetarian dishes here than in other placed nearby that are not listed on Happy Cow, and it does not cater to vegans at all.

Pros: Nice portions., Good tasting food

Cons: Not really for vegetarians, Not at all for vegans

roosters - Edit

Staff was very friendly and more than willing to accommodate a vegan diet.
Vegetarian options are clearly marked on the menu, and adjustments will be made on request!
I had a vegan veggie burger, with a side of potatoes.
Everything was delicious! Will definitely come back next time I'm in STL!

knowledgable with some options - Edit

In St. L for the weekend and tried this restaurant for brunch. Have a few vegan options including a vegan sausage and gravy dish. There's a vegan/gluten free crepe option which was good. A good place when you're the lone vegan in the group but not ideal if you have several needing multiple options. Amazing drink menu for brunch!

unlike other reviewers, I had a great brunch - Edit

Rooster was extremely accommodating to even my healthy no oil vegan needs! We had fantastic custom crepes, with black beans & veggies. Its a really great spot and as long as you don't expect too much you'll have a fun brunch.

Pros: vegan crepes

Disaster Brunch - Edit

Rooster is one of them many new restaurants downtown. I encourage the growth and diversification of the downtown scene, but not at the expense of quality.

The selection is quasi-vegetarian friendly and not vegan friendly at all. They do have some eclectic brunch cocktails, which were good. However, both times I went here, the service was really terrible (having to wait at least 10 minutes for our order to be taken, and at least 10 minutes to get our check). The price is steep and the quality is low.

Pick somewhere else for breakfast.

Pros: Good cocktails

Cons: Poor service, Small selection

Nice Atmosphere, Poor Vegan Selection - Edit

I tried the house-made vegan burger which came with a side of seasoned potatoes, so that is all I can comment on. The burger was a little too dry for my liking. Though there are a few vegetarian options such as french toast, pancakes, and crepes, I was disappointed with the lack of vegan options (I've gradually been converting to a vegan diet), which seemed to only consist of the veg burger, veg sandwich, and salads. Wasn't impressed.

Pros: Atmosphere, Vegan Burger

Cons: Serves meat, Lack of Vegan Options, Small portions

Return to St Louis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rooster closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3182 times since Aug 2011.