Rock da Casbah

Contact 845-247-3929

216 Main St, Saugerties, New York, USA, 12477

Serves meat, vegan options available. In summer 2015 Rock da Pasta relocated from 62 Main St New Paltz and changed its name to Rock Da Casbah. Italian food made-to-order, and many dishes could be prepared vegetarian or vegan. Has gluten free pasta. Mon 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm, Tue 12:00pm-10:00pm, Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by lisalisa08

New location and menu - Edit

The Rock 'n Roll theme continues, but few pasta or vegan options in Saugerties, 30 miles north of New Paltz. Accommodating and friendly staff. Interesting, but very limited menu with seitan option instead of chicken. The food was good, 3 kinds of mushrooms in wine sauce appetizer was tasty. Hope they add more choices to the menu. Locally sourced craft beers, wine bottled or on tap (!) and basic bar drinks. Friendly bar atmosphere.

Pros: flavorful food, full bar, newly renovated

Cons: few vegan choices, small menu

Memorable meal - Edit

I was skeptical of going to a place that wasn't Italian and served mostly pasta. How exciting could it really be? I was proven wrong! I ordered the Pesto Palooza with tofu and was surprised that not only was the portion so large, but it also came with vegan garlic bread and a nice side salad with house dressing. I ordered a glass of Riesling and also was pleased with the generous portion.

Even though I was full and couldn't finish all of the pasta, I regret not taking the leftovers with me. I keep thinking about how amazing it was and the tofu especially was cooked to perfection! It was well cooked, thin slices of firm and chewy tofu marinated just right. The combination of the avocado slices on top of the pasta with balsamic reduction and artichoke hearts was a creative and interesting combination I never would have though of, but somehow worked well.

I had the vegan cheesecake for dessert and was blown away! It was so delicious, moist, and very pretty (tie-dyed!). Not sure how they made it, but it was impressive and I wanted to return the next day just for a slice, but they didn't open until 2pm.

This is a spot I'll definitely return to when I'm in the area again.

Pros: large portions, creative menu, vegan cheesecake

Cons: small restaurant, warm inside, wish they opened earlier for lunch

great for vegans and non vegans alike - Edit

Great place... Wish I could give it 5 stars. Most items on the menu can be made vegan. The owners are very kind and welcoming. All the pasta is home made and the sauces will blow your mind. Would highly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: great value, positive energy, great vibes

Cons: none

slow service - Edit

We stopped in for dinner around 8pm and were there nearly two hours due to the slow service. Additionally, it was during a heat wave and it was very hot inside as there was only a small wall a/c unit. The food was good though. We ordered the magic mushroom appetizer which was excellent. For entrées, I originally wanted the tortellini which was noted as vegan option available on the menu; however, when ordering, I was told they don't have vegan tortellini, but the vegan sauce can be used on another type of pasta, so I went with that option. It's a tropical sauce which is unique, but I don't think I'd order it again. Dirk got the Hey Jude pasta with mushroom sauce which was fabulous. By the time our food arrived, we said we'd like the bill and a vegan cheesecake slice to go. We were completely done with dinner and still no bill which we had to ask for again. The décor is funky and fun, but I'd recommend ordering ahead for take-out instead.

Pros: funky decor, interesting menu

Cons: slow service

5-Cow Worthy; I look forward to returning here. - Edit

It really bothers me that I can't rate a restaurant 5 Cows just because they serve meat dishes - especially when the restaurant is as vegan friendly as this one.

Rock Da Pasta has a menu that is not only fun to read, but is also intriguingly diverse. Coconut curry cream sauces, pineapple and mango, cilantro pesto; this isn't just spaghetti with marinara sauce, folks. (Though they do have that, as well!) And while a good portion of the menu is already vegetarian, most of the dishes can be made so simply by choosing tofu instead of chicken, and the cream-based sauces can be made with soy milk upon request.

To start off our meal, we sampled a few soups and appetizers: The Cream of Mushroom Soup with Fresh Rosemary was super rich and velvety, chunky with mushrooms, and loaded with flavor. Sticky Fingers Pot-Stickers, little edamame-filled dumplings with a gingery tamarind sauce, were surprisingly tasty and flavorful, despite their humble appearance. The Magic Mushrooms appetizer was like a chunky mushroom pate; diced cremini and shiitake mushrooms were sautéed and flavored with wine, rosemary, and truffle oil, and served with little strips of garlic bread. This was some seriously tasty stuff.

For my entrée, I had the Overnight Sensation - bowtie pasta tossed with artichoke hearts, fennel, broccoli, roasted red peppers, thinly sliced sundried tomatoes, and the optional diced, baked tofu, in a creamy cilantro pesto sauce. (They normally top this dish with bacon, but I simply asked them to omit this.) The pasta was perfectly al dente, and the sauce! Oh man. I cannot describe how good this dish was. I also sampled the Joplins Penne Rose - penne tossed with black olives, roasted red peppers, and diced, baked tofu, in a spicy, tomatoey alfredo sauce fortified with a shot of Southern Comfort. Wow. Just... wow. The third dish I tasted was The Cheese Tortellini Incident. Cheese tortellini and penne were tossed together with pignolis and chunks of fresh pineapple, mango, and bananas, in a light coconut alfredo sauce. Honestly, I'm still not sure what to think about this one. It was odd, to say the least. Bananas and cheese tortellini... perhaps not such a good combination. But it was unique for sure.

For the record, our omnivorous friends immensely enjoyed their meals, as well; this is a great place for mixed crowds. Throw in a decent little selection of interesting beers and a casual, music-oriented atmosphere, and you have a great overall dining experience.

Pros: Intriguing menu selections, Extremely veg friendly, Seriously tasty food

Great food/Funky Decor - Edit

I went to Rock da Pasta with my mom and sister. My mom and I are vegetarian and my sister is gluten free vegan. The restaurant was cool with record albums framed on the walls and the bar chairs had guitars for the seat backs. I got the grateful red angel hair pasta w/garlic bread - delicious! Both my mom and sister enjoyed their meals as well. My mom got a mushroom soup (can't remember the name) but she said it was unbelievably good. She also got a salad which looked delicious. Gluten free pasta is vegan which is nice and it is also served with gluten free garlic bread. They are willing to do substitutions, additions, etc which is always appreciated. I will definitely stop by this restaurant again when I am in the area! FYI they had many bottled microbrew beers for $4 which isn't bad at all for a restaurant.

Pros: Willing to substitute, Nice location/decor, Good food for all diets

Return to Saugerties Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rock da Casbah closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2886 times since Aug 2010.