RizRaz - Kannikestraede

• Veg-friendly
Contact 33323345

Kannikestraede 19, Kobenhavn, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1169

Serves meat, vegan options available. Busy restaurant offering an all-you-can eat vegetarian buffet for lunch and dinner everyday. The veggie buffet includes a large variety of cold salad dishes and hot main dishes, both vegetarian and vegan. Also has an la carte menu which is not veg. Modern and spacious interior. Location is near university library, short walk from Norreport metro station, city centre.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine, European, Danish, Non-veg

First Review by mrukz

Great most times - Edit

I have had many dinners and lunches in this restaurant! My experience is that most times the buffet has been great, although I also have encountered evenings where the selection was poor and not that delicious.
You can usually find some vegetarian dishes, and even vegan dishes. Mostly salads, falafel, vegetarian lasagna (usually with too much white sauce for my taste), bread, hummus, grilled veggies etc.

The prices are reasonable and it is pretty cozy.
In the summer they open the outside area where one can sit and enjoy dinner - which is quite exquisite when its sunny and warm (rare in Denmark, but it does happen!)

Pros: Buffet with many veg choices, Pricing, Location

Cons: Not always consistent in quality, Not that much variety in vegan foods

Delicious Buffet - Edit

They have a Green lacto ova vegetarian buffet with 12 items half of which are suitable for Vegans. They have a ingredients list for the buffet where they label Vegan. Still check the ingredients as one item had honey and was labeled as Vegan. I had asked them to correct this. All you can eat Buffet. We had flat bread, roasted potatoes, humus, salads, mushroom stir fry, aubergine stir fry, steamed broccoli, crispy falafel balls.

I however was shocked that the bill had tap water included in it. Charging us Dkk 25 Krone. Rediculious when eating there it should be for free. Never saw this in other counteries. No one pays I'm a restuarant for tap water. It seems like a norm in some areas in Denmark.

Buffet I certainly recommend they lost a star rating for charging us for drinking tap water. A bit stingy like.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 04, 2015

Pros: Lots of Vegan Options

Cons: Charging for rap water, Serves flesh and secretions

Good in a pinch, but not a favorite. - Edit

Salad bar is the way to go here, though waitstaff did not seem very knowledgeable about which items were vegan. Have falafel, hummus, pita, and salad, all of which were tasty, but other items can be hit or miss if you're looking for vegan food.

Great place! - Edit

Went out on an early evening alone in Copenhagen. They have a rich buffet of raw salads, cooked food and cooked salads. Most items are vegan, everything has a tag with the ingredients, so also great for any other dietary restrictions! It's filling and plentiful for a fair price of 99DKK. When I went in the waitress wasn't sure what vegan was though, but we easily clarified that there was almost everything at the buffet - they also allow you to look at it before you decide.

Pros: Fresh salads, freshly baked falafel, roasted potatoes

Cons: lasagne not vegan

Far too expensive for what you get - Edit

While the food was decent, it was no more than that, and way overpriced. 99 kr for a meal on the weekend, for cafeteria style food, and dirty plates. There was a restaurant right across the way with similar fare, and much cheaper. I would recommend -stay away.

Pros: Decent

Cons: Overpriced

Not much information for vegans - Edit

I haven't actually eaten at this restaurant because they had almost nothing to offer and was not sure what was vegan and not.

I asked what was vegan and the staff member didn't speak very good English and she wasn't sure what was vegan, she pointed out four things from the buffet (green salad, cous-cous salad, a pan-fried mixture of different greens as well as beets) which she thought was vegan. She said that they usually have labels over the food states the ingredients but that they had already taken them down because it was late (it was two hours before closing).

The food looked fresh and they seemed to have at least a lot of vegetarian options but the staff doesn't seem to be aware of what's vegan and not. If the labels were up I assume it would be a pretty good inexpensive place for a vegan to eat but I do not recommend coming here late considering the staff doesn't have much knowledge when it comes to vegan food.

Cons: Staff not knowledgeable

Good, inexpensive buffet - Edit

I was here twice this week and I enjoyed it both times. The service was friendly and efficient and the buffet is inexpensive(99 kroner for dinner). If you are vegetarian or vegan your only choice is to eat from the buffet as there is no additional entree that you can order.

The buffet is decent with choices for vegans as well as vegetarians. Everything is clearly marked and includes the ingredients used. For example, there is pita bread, hummus, assorted raw veggie and salad, bulgar wheat, rice, pasta, potatoes and falafel that are vegan. There were other choices that were not vegan such as lasagna, potato salad and some other creamy sauces/salads that were made with yogurt.

Riz Raz reminds me of chain restaurants back in the U.S. It is not fancy and you won't find innovative recipes. It is pretty much basic food which is inexpensive. There are also free refills on soda, which is cool since most places in Denmark don't have that.

There weren't so many hot foods for vegans, but there were some, such as pasta with tomato sauce, potatoes,and the falafel. The hummus was much more liquidy than I am used to, so I used it as a salad dressing for my raw veggies. My favorite thing was the falafel, especially when you get a freshly made batch. I wish that the lasagna was vegan and that they would have used soy yogurt instead of regular yogurt as that would have opened up the options a bit. However, I did go back for seconds and thirds and felt full.
I noticed that for the most part the items were the exact same both times with some differences in veggies offered.

It is in a good location and priced right so I am pretty sure that I will go again sometime.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: More vegan options would be appreciated

Not good for vegans - Edit

We stepped in the restaurant and ask if they had something vegan to eat. The waitress did not even know what vegan means and went asking a collegue. She came back saying that there was very little for us. We just went away.

Cons: poor vegan choice, not informed personal

my best experience in copenhagen - Edit

It's good that the buffet is actually an "all you can eat buffet". You can fill your plate with everything and then you can do another round (lunch menu (89 kr) cheaper than evening menu (99 kr). You pay beverage apart).
There weren't the name of the food. Broccoli and other vegetables were raw (I'm used to eat them cooked).
No alternative to the meat. No legumes or other proteinic food.
Lots of seat. I ate there twice and I remember that in the evening there were more choice.
The menu was almost the same anyway (2 consecutive days).
I raccomend it.

Pros: quantity of food

Cons: price

Recommended - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my RizRaz review

Came here on a past triip to Denmark. The food at this location is the same as the food at the other RizRaz location that is nearby (also in city center). I actually liked the set up of this location better. It's in a larger space with nice modern decor.

The buffet spread is nicely laid out with about a dozen cold salad bar items, around 4 hot main dishes, and bread. The falafels are very tasty. All-you-can-eat and very popular with locals.

Pros: cheap, many choices

Cons: has non veg menu

Veggie buffet - Edit

I went to RizRaz in August 2010. The vegetarian buffet was really good, big selection and most of it tasted quite nice as well (falafel and hummous, the salads, some pasta salad, rice or bulgur salad, tomato pesto...). Some of it was a bit bland (tagine) or overcooked (veggie lasagne), but the tons of vegetables and salads on offer, as well as the different dips were great!

The place was not too busy when we went (Thursday evening), so there were no queues at the buffet, and the staff was quite friendly. It's not fine dining, but definitely a safe bet for good vegetarian food in the city centre, especially when you're very hungry :)

I can see that it might be difficult for vegans to find out what exactly is vegan and what not, but as a veggie who's ok with dairy I didn't have any problems.

Pros: good selection of food, not too expensive

Cons: vegan dishes not labeled

Lunch, Day 3 - Edit

Pretty basic. Ate a plate of food. Totally acceptable. Adam ate some cheese, so he had more choices than Vegan Care. Seemed like all the various salads had ingredients listed, so you could tell what was vegan and what wasn't -- assuming we properly identified the word for "yogurt." Falafel was totally good, as was the endless pile of pita bread. That's the main reason to go. Otherwise, you can find better vegan choices in the city.

Bigger Brother - Bigger Choice - Edit

Visited on 03.01.10. Bigger version of BLA with more choice and more seating. Varied mostly salad vegetarian buffet, is 'all you can eat' so a good choice in expensive Copenhagen. Labeling in Danish but easy to figure out what is vegan. Before 4pm is cheaper.

Pros: Nice Salads, Good value

Cons: Not the best labeling, when we went no heating!

Fab veggie buffet, and no whining meat-eaters. - Edit

Our hosts in Copenhagen had chosen RizRaz on the basis that it seemed likely to keep both myself and the omni partner happy. It was a good call.

The buffet consisted of a number of fairly similar hot dishes - veg tagine, bean tagine and okra in a similar sauce, some pasta dishes (definitely not vegan), a large selection of cooked vegetables, and many salads. Much of it is vegan, although a query revealed that some of the vegetables are cooked in butter rather than oil. The person making the query was unable to determine which, exactly.

There were vegetables I'd not had before, including yellow carrots, and an interesting salad turned out to be celeriac, but prepared so it tasted good. There is also an excellent range of beers from a microbrewery as well as unusual non-alcoholic drinks, such as iced Moroccan tea.

They coped well with our party of about 20.

Pros: great for everyone, interesting vegan choices, Beer!

Cons: staff not sure of ingredients, hot and humid inside, slow service

great buffet - Edit

this is the much bigger sibling of Riz-Raz BLA. big un-crowded space (a plus!) and a much larger choice of food. didn't order pricey drinks though, experience from BLA... :)

Pros: excellent food, fresh food, big food choice

Cons: drinks pricey

better than the other RizRaz location - Edit

go to Den Grønne Kælder instead, but if you want to go here, try the falafel and the hummus (sometimes vegan and sometimes it contains yoghurt, so ask!). unfortunately the staff seems very troubles when asked about what's vegan.

the rest of the food is just bland. it looks much better than it is.

it is all-you-can-eat for around 70-80 DKK ($12), so it's an okay price.

Pros: good falalfel and hummus, pretty cheap

Cons: personnel not knowledgable, hummus sometimes not vegan

Great buffet - Edit

I was visiting Copenhagen with family and found RizRaz through HappyCow. Their lunch buffet was really nice, everyone enjoyed it. They serve general Mediterranean food.

Pros: Cheap, Choice

Cons: Tight inside

Return to Copenhagen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has RizRaz - Kannikestraede closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3648 times since Sep 2007.