River Valley Market

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 413-584-2665

330 N King St (at Hatfield, easy access from Interstate 91), Northampton, Massachusetts, USA, 01060

Member-owned cooperative operating since 2008. Open to the public. Organic produce, deli, juice bar, vitamins, bakery, with the Quarry Cafe featuring Sunday brunch. Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

First Review by vegantee

mixed bag - Edit

For vegans, this place is spotty. Some items - such as the rice milk and artisan tofu - are cheaper than Whole Foods. A lot of their items, though, are more, and ungodly, expensive, though. But the frustrating thing is that they seem to wily-nily discontinue certain basic vegan "essentials," for example, today, the Yves (or any other brand) ground un-beef, meaning that my shopping trip has to encompass at least two (often three) distinct places to get everything I need. After today, I've basically decided to skip River Valley altogether and stick with Whole Foods, which has a broader selection of vegan items, and is on the whole cheaper.

Pros: some good vegan items

Cons: limited selection, Not the most helpful staff, vegan goods seem to be an afterthought

Good option to shop locally - Edit

Although I am a member of RVM and do close to 100% of my grocery shopping there when I need a store, I never have the best feeling about the place and I cannot pinpoint exactly why. There is a pretty good bulk section and a pretty good produce section, although I am always disappointed about the number of items that are not locally produced that could be sourced locally. The huge meat and seafood section and prominence of meat and animal products in the deli always bother me as well. However, you can get a number of deli items and salad bar essentials at RVM, and they offer some smoothies, hot drinks and sushi.

All of this being said, I prefer to shop locally rather than at a big chain that also sells animal products, and so I continue my patronage of RVM. I believe the prices are pretty comparable to other big stores around, and I know they are usually better than another smaller natural foods store close by.

RVM is still fairly new, and hopefully it will grow into more of the place I want it to be. My favorite thing about RVM is that you can sit for however long you like with friends in the cafe seating and be vary comfortable having all of your needs met in one place.

Pros: Locally member-owned, Fair prices, Emphasis on green building

Cons: Meat-centric deli and recipes, Cold atmosphere, Local products not bountiful as possibl

My favorite store to buy groceries in the area - Edit

Great coop. Good selection of produce, especially organic. Strong emphasis on local produce and foods. Strong bulk foods section. For the basic organic/natural foods that I buy regularly River Valley has better prices than a certain large natural foods supermarket in the area. No need to mention names;-) Staff is friendly and helpful. Supplements section is only so so.

NIce deli with decent veg choices. The self-serve hot bar is fairly small but the food is quite good, if expensive. Good self-serve salad bar. 3 self-serve soups are available; including one dairy based veg soup and one vegan soup.
Nice selection of store prepared, prepackaged deli foods including vegan items if you're really in a hurry.

Truly one-stop-shopping! - Edit

I love this co-op! Unlike some of the other markets in the area, I can find pretty much everything I need here. You don't have to be a member to shop there. They have a great bulk section (candy too) and they stock a lot of fresh locally grown produce. There is also a great deli section with a few good vegan options, oh and they have fresh soup too. Their vit and supp section is rather small but I've always been able to find what I'm searching for.

Pros: friendly staff, hot vegan food, great bulk section

Cons: serve meat at deli, small vit section

Return to Northampton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has River Valley Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 970 times since Apr 2009.