Risc

+44-118-9583555

35-39 London Street, Reading, England, RG1 4PS

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe bar alternative feel. Has soymilk and sometimes vegan cake. Buffet on Thursday. Offers an Ethiopian vegan platter dish which has a choice of 6 Ethiopian dishes on injera bread.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by josinclair

Great place to relax and enjoy good food - Edit

This feels like proper grassroots vegan fare. Took my non-veg boyfriend and we shared the samosas and spring rolls (yummy) followed by the vegetarian combination platter. A great way to try several dishes at once - all of them very tasty! I'd never had Ethiopian food before, and I think the injera breads might take a bit of getting used to (a mix between a crumpet and a crêpe, but sour), but I enjoyed them. The café itself is a bit rough around the edges but had a nice relaxed atmosphere. Great range of drinks from around the world available (non-alcoholic also) which are labelled on the menu if they're vegan. The staff were very relaxed and pleasant. A range of vegan/gluten-free bar food and snacks also available such as Dove's Farm biscuits, nuts, chocolate. Fantastic prices - our whole meal came to just over £30 with a beer each!

Pros: Tasty, interesting food, Good value for money, Chilled atmosphere and staff

Cons: Décor a bit shabby

Worth a visit - Edit

I have eaten here a few times, both in the evening and during the day time. There is a good choice of vegan options as well as plant milk for the hot drinks. I really enjoyed the vegan food. The Ethiopian cafe has some interesting homemade dishes made with lovely sauces. They also serve ethiopian coffee in a special ethiopian coffee pot. You can buy the sauces in the shop next door when it is open (day time).
There is also a very helpful listing at the bar showing which beers and wines are vegan. I heard that they sometimes serve vegan cakes, but when I visited, they were sold out.
The ambiance is relaxed and friendly.
I recommend a visit.

Pros: Fresh tasty food, Vegan beers and wines on offer, Great atmosphere

Delicious Ethiopian Cuisine - Edit

My daughter and I had a wonderful lunch here. The atmosphere was bohemian and made us feel as though we were on holiday!
More than half the menu was vegan food - a refreshing change to the usual restaurants we visit.
The barman was friendly and advised us well. He suggested that we went for a lunchtime platter which was extremely good value at £5.50. I had fried green beans and carrots as well as spinach fried in garlic. The platter had the option of rice with vegetables or Ethiopian flat bread.
I dont like greasy food so was a little worried about the 'fried' dishes, but they were light and flavoured with mild Ethiopian spices.
My daughter had the Cajun wedges, which were enough for two to share.
The chef came out to check that we were enjoying our meals.
The cheque came to just under £13 including our two soft drinks which I think is very reasonable.
Definitely recommended!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, plenty of atmosphere

Return to Reading Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Risc closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.