Rice Up Wholefoods

• Veg Shop Veg Shop
  • Vegan
Contact 02381-847235

20 Hanover Buildings (at Strand), Southampton, England, SO14 1JX

An independent all-vegan wholefood grocery shop that's a workers' cooperative, opened July 2013. Provides ethical food ranges, organic fruits and vegetables, bulk staples, as well as ethical household products and cosmetics. The deli features prepared vegan foods for takeaway. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-6:30pm, Sat 10:00am-5:30pm.

First Review by teafour2

Great cakes! - Edit

Great deli and cakes, good selection of fresh fruit and veg, groceries and general stuff.
They need to bring out a cook book for their cakes - particularly the brownies and blondies :)

Pros: Cakes! So good!

Great and cheap vegan place in the centre - Edit

Rice up is such a great place for vegans! If you are living in Southampton, you can buy all kinds of groceries here, many of them without any packaging in any quantities (bring you own containers to save plastic!). They also store all kinds of hygiene products and other things you need on a daily basis and again, everything is vegan here.

For me as a visitor in Southampton the best part was their deli with home made savory pastries and cakes. I tried a lot of them and they were all extremely delicious as well as very reasonably priced.

Pros: Huge selection, everything vegan, Great deli, Inexpensive

a vegans heaven - Edit

I walked in here knowing it was fully vegan with my expectations very high and I was not disappointed the amount of vegan food, beauty products and pet food was unreal! I wish I tried something from the delicious looking deli! I bought a few bits of store cupboard stuff but also some cute little vegan dog biscuits! Staff were friendly to especially after I mentioned I was vegan! If you are in the area it is a must visit! And grab some chocolate tahini while your there to!

Pros: completely vegan ( a wide range of products ), deli looked nice sad didn't try any, staff are very funny and love it when fellow vegan

Cons: There are no cons go here seriously

Lots of vegan products in one place! - Edit

Huge range of ethical cruelty free products, food and non-food in one place. Many products are hard, if not impossible to find in regular supermarkets.

Staff are extremely friendly and always smiling =]

Pros: Excellent range of vegan products, Warm and friendly staff

So Handy! - Edit

I am so glad we now have a decent health food shopping in my area! I used to have to order everything online so its nice to be able to go have a look around an actual shop. They stock so many different and new products and the staff are really lovely and willing to answer any questions and offer help.

Pros: Wide range, Friendly staff, Wheelchair friendly

loveeeeee - Edit

my favourite place in Southampton. I wish they could clone it and all the wonderful people who work there and put that culmination into every British town. It holds a dear place,close to my lil student heart.

Pros: most perfect place in the world ever, oh my gosh super amazing, it's so so great

Best Vegan Shop Around - Edit

I love shopping in Rice Up. A whole shop entirely dedicated to cater for vegans with everything a vegan heart could desire.

The deli bar, which has sandwiches, cakes, snacks, salads and much more is always fantastic too - I love coming to Rice Up and support such a great shop!

Good Selection of Fresh Organic Fruit and Veg - Edit

My first visit to "Rice UP".
My daughter recommended Rice Up, buys her lunch there.
Bought oranges, carrots, nice pointy cabbage, bananas and raw Sauerkraut(RawHealth).
I'm recovering from septicaemia and 2 months on antibiotics so I'm trying to boost my immune system. My niece at Zing Nutrition tells me I must get my gut right and raw sauerkraut was on the list of pre/probiotics.

Vegan food - Edit

I love this place all Vegan yes all Vegan so no animal abuse here and it is a coop. This is what we need more supermarkets like Rice Up, they have everything that you would need to much to mention, a must visit. Rice Up is amazing.

Pros: Vegan, parking, All the staff

Great vegan shop - Edit

Went to Rice Up Wholefoods yesterday pleasantly surprised at the variety of foods/products they had. They have a nice little take away food section at the front of the shop, where I bought a Spicy Bean pasty & Raw Fig & Almond cake both very tasty. Not badly priced either.
I went there primarily to buy cosmetics, not a massive range but I got what I needed (BWC & Benecos products). Would definately go back.

Pros: Food Product range, Friendly staff, All vegan products

Cons: Not a massive cosmetics range

I love this place so much! - Edit

There's nothing not to love about Rice Up. I am a regular customer but still can't quite get over the fact that, as a vegan, there isn't one thing in it that isn't suitable for me!
They have a fantastic range of products, from the ultra healthy to the extremely indulgent as well as seasonal ranges - most my Christmas food came from here last year, from the chocolate advent calendar to mince pies via chocolate sorbet and samosas.
They also offer a good range of take-away food - I especially love their sausage sandwiches and tiffin cake.
Their prices are really reasonable and especially with the loose produce can be cheaper than elsewhere.
It's a really friendly, welcoming place to shop and has a lovely community feel.

Pros: fantastic range of products, good value, friendly staff

A long awaited wholefood shop for the city - Edit

Southampton has been waiting a long time for a dedicated whole food store and Rice Up ticks all the boxes. Great range of produce with items being added all the time and on request - if there is something you want that they don't stock they will get it. Fresh produce from local providers and a serve yourself section. I particularly like the self serve herb and spices.

Pros: Variety - lots of items to choose from, Shop layout - clean and modern, Serve yourself sections/deli counter

Cons: Can't think of any :)

Fantastic All Vegan Grocery Store - Edit

Such a much needed shop! I wish there was a whole chain of Rice Up. I could not believe my eyes when I first walked in. You can get everything you need in there. I'm planning my next trip off of the Isle of Wight very soon. Highly recommend the cakes in the Deli. Also there are so many products I've never seen, that I can't wait to try. Thank you to all of you dedicated to 100% Vegan Ethical - Amazing!

Pros: 100% Vegan, Deli Counter, Huge Amount of Choice

Cons: I don't live in Southampton ;-)

fantastic vegan superstore - Edit

I discovered this amazing vegan emporium via Facebook , and what a wonderful place it is. i can get everything i need under one roof , wonderful friendly helpful staff , clean shop and amazing range of products .

Pros: great range of products, friendly staff, fair prices

Cons: no parking close by

Wonderful friendly vegan store - Edit

I was so pleased when this store recently opened. Very good and varied range of fresh produce - much of which I could only previously buy online - along with make up and toiletries. Highly recommend! :)

Pros: Great range of products, Fresh cakes etc, Friendly staff

Great little Supermarket - Edit

Opened recently. Lovely shop, not massive ( about as big as a Tesco express) but really well stocked, lots of choice and I believe EVERYTHING is vegan. They have a much greater selection than Holland and Barrett- fresh organic veg, a full pick and mix style row of spices and nuts, also soya slices, tofu, full frozen and chilled section, dried and packaged goods (beans, pasta, specialist flours), sweets and toiletries. Plus they offer a small deli (coleslaw, bean salad, cakes, soup) and fresh bread. The shop is light and airy. All in all a great addition to Southampton.

Pros: All vegan, Lots of choice, Ethical and more mainstream brands

Return to Southampton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rice Up Wholefoods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.