Rice Bar

Contact 202-429-1701

1020 19th St NW, Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20036

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual Korean food and sushi restaurant centered on design-your-own bibimbap. Has a tofu bibimbap, a vegetarian maki menu. Vegans to specify just to be sure.

Category: Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Korean, Non-veg

First Review by kim2121

delicious and healthy Korean - Edit

I love this place! You can get rice or noodle bowls or miso noodle soups all custom made. They have a few special bowls that are vegan and I've enjoyed them all. They have tons of options for gluten free or whole grain rice and noodles and tons of veggie options. The food is delicious and super fast. I work nearby and go about once per week!

Pros: healthy, vegan options , unique food

Cons: they don't deliver

Fast and filing - Edit

This is not my go to choice for food in the downtown area, but it'll suffice. It is fast and tasty.

Two choices, really, as the broth for noodle soup is not vegetarian, so I wouldn't trust the soup, either, so go for a rice bowl or a noodle bowl. Building your own bibimbap can be quite affordable, but, it is going to be 80% rice and 20% toppings. As such, it could be more exciting to go somewhere else that doesn't focus on rice first. You can add more toppings, but it will cost you, and it will add up quickly if you want a heaping portion of veggies. The veggies are decent, but not in a high enough ratio for those who eat veggies first, carbs last.

Many choices: burdock root, steamed broccoli, grated cooked carrots, seaweed salad, roasted seaweed, bean sprout salad, steamed kale. Noodles: wheat, udon, buckwheat or clear yam starch. Rice: white, brown or black. Add on tofu for a couple bucks more. The place has a lot of sauces, so add on some sesame oil, sesame seeds and a hot sauce (spicy peanut, spicy chili/ sriracha) or just another sauce. It can definitely be salty, so I guess that's why there's so much starch (noodle/ rice base)!

Pros: Fast, Lots of carbs

Cons: Lots of carbs, Vegan items unclear

Vegetarian Options at a Korean Restaurant - Edit

I love Korean food but struggle to find vegetarian food with substance at most Korean restaurants. Rice Bar's Subway-style approach to bibimbap makes it easy to put together a filling Korean-style vegetarian meal. This isn't a fancy place, it's better for a quick lunch when already in the neighborhood.

I like the food a lot but have read on other sites that people think the food is too salty and/or not authentic. As to being too salty, I guess I just think Korean food tends to be salty. As to not being authentic enough, I lived in Asia for years and think it's pretty authentic, but I obviously can't speak to the authenticity of the meat!

I wouldn't mind if it was a dollar or so cheaper for lunch here, those toppings can really add up! The last time I visited, my bibimbap and soda were $11.50 total and I had tried to restrain myself when ordering. Still, I was happy I stopped by for lunch.

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rice Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1116 times since Jul 2014.