CLOSED: Rewild Cruelty-Free Club

Via Giovannipoli 18 (at Via Cristoforo Colombo), Rome, Italy,

All vegan food menu includes sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, crèpes, ice cream, pizza, bruschette, piadine, pudding and custard, hot and cold chocolate, smoothies, Italian tap beers, and more. Has Wi-Fi, live music and shows. Confirmed closed, Jan 2016. Open Mon 12:00am-2:00am, Wed-Sun 8:00pm-12:00am, Thu-Sun 12:00am-2:00am.

Category: Vegan, Italian, Organic, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine

First Review by Romeo er mejo der Co

A great place for vegan comfort food and a drink - Edit

Volunteer run, 100% vegan, has a DIY/punk feeling but don't let that put you off (I mean it as a good thing!). It costs €2 to become a member, which is necessary to eat there, and you only have to do once. Very friendly, great comfort good. I imagine it would be a nice place to have a drink and spend the evening too. The food was cheap and very tasty - I had a huge burger!

Was bit far - Edit

I had limited time in Rome,
really wanted to go there, unfortunately far from City centre...!! Real pitty..!!
for sure i will visit next time !!!

Amazing vegan food and lovely staff - Edit

Loved this place and the food was amazing and there are sooooo many options. Staff are happy to translate to English. I tried the burgers and hot dogs, French fries, onion rings and chocolate brownies :) all yum :) highly recommended

Pros: Amazing vegan food , Ran by pro active vegans making change, Lots of options

Cons: Small venue , Menu in Italian , Not available in England ;)

rewild wins rome for vegans! - Edit

we never thought that we'd find such an outstanding place to eat on a sunday night (after 8) in rome. in fact, we thought we'd be lucky to find a pizza margherita.
even though we'd read about rewild on happycow, there were no really recent reviews online & we thought that we'd find it shut. however, we were staying only about a 15 minute walk away, so it was worth a punt. when we found it - & it was, indeed, open - we nearly died of excitement. it was great to see that they're serious about veganism. you won't find any half-arsed excuses to serve animal milk here. everything on their extensive menu (i think that it was about six pages long, but my memory might be clouded by my enthusiasm) is vegan. thoughtfully, they've two menus: one in italian & one in english. sadly, i don't speak much italian - but, it was rather fun just to choose something from the italian menu & hope for the best. i ended up with a seitan & aubergine wrap with a side order of the crispiest, perfectly-spiced onion rings. my mates ordered burgers that eclipsed their heads. they were that big! each of us had a frosty, refreshing beer - & it was even a chore to choose that, as their selection of drinks combines both quality & quantity.
the person who took our order spoke english very well & was happy to chat about rewild, the menu & some of the other restaurants in rome.
even at 9 o'clock on a sunday night, business was brisk. but there's plenty of seating. the ambience is great. you feel as if you're with like-minded people. all of us just fell in love with it & we'll return...when in rome.

Pros: extensive, all-vegan menu, inventive food, great beer selection, friendly people & ambience

CLOSED UNTIL JANUARY 7th!!! - Edit

Don't trek to this spot until after January 7th. Much to my disappointment, it's closed until January 7th and there's absolutely NOTHING in the area that is Veg-friendly. Good luck with your search elsewhere!

Cons: IT'S CLOSED, IT'S CLOSED, IT'S CLOSED

sXe_22 28 May 2014 - 1) the website was clear enough. you should have known just browsing it
2) there are plenty of veg-friendly places in the area: from a simple pizzeria to another veg place 10 mins walking from Rewild.
Just get informed before giving poor judgements

Great food, great prices - Edit

This is more than just a restaurant. You can tell the people working there are passionate about veganism, not just making money off vegans.

The food is fresh, delicious and inexpensive. I wish I could have gone here more than once.

The tiramisu was definitely delicious and highly recommended.

Pros: All vegan, Friendly

Great Value Vegan Food - Edit

First thing to note is that it was very hard to tell if this place was open. For the uninitiated you need to press the buzzer to gain admittance as it is classed as a 'club' rather than a restaurant. Tax stuff or something I guess... Anyway, they offer a massive menu of simple but delicious vegan food. Sandwiches, salads, some raw foods, pasta, etc. My seitan burger was delicious, as were the sides of onion rings and crisp, salty fries. The drinks were great value, including a BOTTLE of local fizz for only 5 euros, absolute bargain. The staff were really friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be that my girlfriend, who is gluten free, had a very limited choice, none of which were marked on the menu. But what she had was very nice, and the staff spoke English and knew the ingredients in the various dishes. Well worth the trip out of the centre.

Pros: Value , Tasty , Friendly

Cons: Bit Hard To Find, Little Gluten Free Selection

Lovely cafe - Edit

This is one of our favorite vegan places to go in Rome. They have veganized just about everything possible. They have tons of panini, cheeses, meats, crepes, lasagna, etc., etc. The prices are not too bad, considering that a lot of their items are made from veg cheeses and meats, which can be a bit pricey to buy. They have a great selection of wines, beers, juices, etc. Also, they bring you water in a pitcher! For free! That is pretty much unheard of in Rome, so we really appreciate that touch :)

The environment is quite laid-back, and even dogs are allowed to eat here. The servers are always very nice and helpful. Sometimes food takes a bit longer than normal to arrive, but it is always worth it. There is usually only one cook and one or two servers working at a time, so they are definitely kept busy! This place gets packed on weekends, so try to get there as close to 8 as possible.
As it is a small place, they do run out of things at times, but there are always amazing options to fall back on!

They also hold benefits for different vegan causes, so check their website before heading there in order to know if it'll be easy to find a table or not. Overall, this place is awesome and we love it. I definitely recommend it!!

Pros: wonderful food, great staff, good prices

Cons: noisy, only open at night

I am a member of a vegan club in Roma!!! - Edit

I don't know exactly how it works, but apparently the restaurant license is cheaper if you operate as a club instead of a restaurant, so as soon as you walk in you are asked to fill out a form and get a membership card. After that, the fun begins. The seitan here is some of the best I have tried (particularly the carpaccio) and it goes very well with a glass of house white. The bruschetta is really good, particularly the Harissa, which is a spicy tomato sauce on bread.
They also sell T-shirts and vegan condoms.

Pros: good wine, all vegan, seitan

Cons: short hours

Thumbs up! - Edit

Everything here is excellent.
All food: cheese, appetizers, first and second courses, and suuuuper desserts!!!
You must try all you can, especially because the price is very low.
They're also very careful to vegan drinks.
Friendly staff, interesting merchandise.

Updated from previous review on Monday March 26, 2012

Pros: Amazing food, Low prices

Cons: Bad background music

notable place - Edit

it was the first vegan place in Rome and it was exciting when it opened some year ago. I came here several times, but I realized I never had a comment on HappyCow. anyway, Rewild is still a comfortable and friendly place. It has a big choice of sandwiches and similar to have an easy dinner. prices are ok considering the cost of raw materials and food is tasty. Fair trade drinks are good. I did not check if there still are board games and cards to have fun during/after your meal, but you can bring your own and play. free tap water is not an unimportant detail for roman standard. definitively I recommend it and then a night tour of popular block Garbatella.

Pros: free tap water, friendly environment

Cons: enlightenment

All paths lead to (Rewild) Rome - Edit

On a cold and windy February night we fought our way against the nearly freezing wind to find The Rewild Club and as we were pretty hungry arrived early by Italian standards I guess (half past 8 ;o)
The place itself didn't really look like a 'restaurant' but the friendly staff and the fantastic menu made up for that and how. We choose from the enormous variety of food the Bruchetta with peppers and tomatoes (partner) and a springroll with a variety of herbs and veggies for me.Delicious!!
For our main course we choose (after a long time to choose) the ricelasagna with spinach(partner) and Tofu and reddishes medaillon for me with grilled eggplant en a (giant) salad as sidedishes. Oh man, heaven in the eternal city. My partner had her first full vegan meal in a restaurant and was pleasently surprised and to be honest I was too.
And now for desert. I read some other reviews about the Tiramisu so ordered that and just because I could the soy chocolate pudding and waffels with haselnut and cocospread. Did I mention 'Heaven'?
Concluding the best damned food I had since turning vegetarian (and later vegan) 18 years ago !!!
Only turn off was the loud ska-punk playing although I'm a sXe-hardcore fan all the way I had wished for a more 'angelic' setting enjoying the wonders of vegan cooking.
Rewild, you make me return to Rome sooner than I expected. Grazie Mille!

Pros: Enormous variety, Price/Quality, Helpfull-friendly staff

Cons: 'Cool' atmosphere, 'Music'

Uncomfortable but pleasant - Edit

The area looked unsafe but it was safe we came at 8pm & they opened 20 minutes after the opening time. No live music. Menu was in english thankfully, waiter speaked very good english, menu was varied but the pizza was no longer made :( but still on the menu numerous things were nolonger made. The food was not wholesome fresh average vegan, cartoned juice ( some) poor presentation. For some postives i had a seitan wrap which was yum so had two woth a harissa sauce & vegan cheese- first time since going vegan, the tiramisu was amazing the custard had a slight minty fresh flavour it was delectable only downside was serving size wasnt big enough, ravioli was nice but the bugers was pitiful, quite cheap but small servings very small so it added up to quite an expensive meal

Pros: Varied menu, Cheap, English speaking

Cons: Not fresh, Small servings, Dark unwelcoming atmosphere

Best meal I had in Paris, Rome, or Florence - Edit

Closest metro is Garbatella on the Metro B line. Use your smartphone or look it up on google first and print a map. It isn't hard to get to, and you get the benefit of walking through a neighborhood without tourists and see where most people in Rome really live.

The menu as mentioned is extensive. I was overwhelmed and thrilled. It was totally in English and if you get one in Italian just ask for one in English. The two waitresses were excellent. We asked for a pitcher of water and she did not know the word and was excited to learn it. She said they are revising their English menu so the translations are more accurate. There was a lot to do for just two of them. We waited a bit to have our order taken, we didn't say anything and she apologized first thing. After that, water, beer, appetizers, it all came quickly. You go up to pay when you're done. I loved everything I had. Started with onion rings (only about 5 and served freshly fried), then bruschetta with black olive spread and another with artichoke spread (our favorite). There were maybe a dozen spreads to choose from. The beer on tap was one of the best ones I've had. Hellebock or something? We also got ravioli stuffed with tofu and basil. Way more flavorful than it sounded. Got one of the small sandwiches "vivadella?" with cheese. When it came we thought there was a mistake because we saw no cheese. She explained it was melted into the bread. It looked so boring, with some cuts of fake meat and no visible cheese. But, wow, it was so flavorful! We were still hungry and got one of the lasagnas which was also very good. For dessert we had tiramisu. I thought it was good, my partner liked it more. I can't remember when I have had a crepe, being vegan for 22 years, and having seen so many crepes with Nutella all over Paris, I had to try theirs with a vegan version of Nutella. It was really good. My partner who is vegetarian and had the non-vegan version of this elsewhere said it was very much the same.

So overall, lots of new tastes, excellent service. Refreshing to not be in a touristy area. All the comments about an activist place and a co-op feel are true. Get over it. It was as good a meal as I have had in fancy, expensive vegan restaurants in San Francisco and Marin. And all of it came to only 43Euros. Remember that includes tax and tip! I was shocked by it.

I tried to go again on a Monday and sadly their sign on the door says they're closed Mondays. Call first & don't depend on the website!

Pros: Excellent food, Huge selection, English spoken

Cons: Not in walking distance, Not fancy, Don't let the other cons I put dissuade!

Vegans in Rome - Edit

We visited in September 2012 after seeing it listed here on HappyCow. When we went there was just some great background music playing, no events which suited us for our first visit. The choice of food was extensive and the staff were friendly and helpful. We felt totally relaxed and sated.

Pros: Affordable, Lots to choose from on the menu, Great atmosphere

Cons: No coffee even though listed on menu

Best place ever! - Edit

This is hands down my favorite venue, the best one I've ever found! I go there every day when I'm in Rome and I never regretted it.
Their menu is huge and everything is absolutely delicious, they have a vast selection of just about everything you could ever dream of.
Yes, the location is a bit off the center but well worth the trip (just 10 minutes walking from the nearest metro station, which means a grand total of 20-25 minutes from the center).
They have a English menu but the nice and friendly girl waiting at tables speaks perfect American English as well.
This place also hosts a lot of amazing benefit events, so be sure to check their website before going, if you want to avoid a really big crowd :)

Pros: nice activist-style environment, huge delicious selection, friendly staff

Cons: a bit off the center (but not too much)

Wild for REWILD! - Edit

It was indeed an adventure finding this place, and at a fault that's all my own (didn't pay attention to the hours clearly posted on HC), it was closed the first time. So when I went back on 19Jun12, I knew exactly where I was going. Once inside I found a large, open, and very clean eating establishment. As I often do when traveling, I ordered many things. The fresh (very fresh) pear juice was extremely refreshing after a day of walking a million miles. :) My absolute favorite food was the Longobardo (a vegan chkn sandwich), which I ordered extra spicy. It was SO good! The Vandalo (veggie burger), Hot Veg (veggie dog), and vegan tiramisu were all good as well. I also bought a cool vegan tshirt, and met a nice vegan friend while there. REWILD was a joy, and I hope to return soon.

Pros: Only 100% vegan eatery in Roma!, Large menu selection & large portions, Large, clean, friendly atmosphere

Cons: Hours; Not open until 8pm

The only one in Rome! - Edit

The only one 100% vegan pub in Rome! Not only a place where you can find several, tasty and cruelty-free things to eat, but a meeting place full of benefit events, movies and docs screening and much more! Of course animals are welcome! ;)

Pros: friendly staff, good value, excellent food

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Rewild Cruelty-Free Club closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.