Revital Health at Cambridge

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 01223 350433

5, Bridge St, Cambridge, England, CB2 1UA

Acquired by Revital in August 2005 from the previous owners and known previously as Cambridge Health Foods, this store is located in the main shopping area of the University City of Cambridge. Has a juice and smoothies bar, fresh food counter, and shelves stocked with a range of healthy food, natural products, and food supplements. Mon-Sat 9:00am-6:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm

First Review by corinal

Standard but well-stocked health food shop - Edit

Since Cambridge is lacking a vegan shop, I think this is the best place to get supplies in the area (Arjuna Wholefoods is better but quite far from the town centre).

They have most of the things you could want, including a freezer and a fridge at the back with a wide range of tofu, mock cheeses and meats, etc. Other highlights are probably the deli section (which mostly contains Forest Foods products and rotates regularly, usually about 2/3 of the selection is vegan) and a huge range of teas.

My favourite thing about Revital is probably just the convenience: its only competition for vegan products in the town centre is Holland and Barrett, which has a pretty poor selection in this location. Other than that, I do appreciate how frequently they introduce new and interesting products, which is noticeable as I shop there often.

There is nothing particularly wrong with Revital, just that it could be more really. It has the feel of a chain (albeit a small one) in its lack of local products and staff who are friendly but who don't seem to be particularly interested in what they sell.

In contrast, Arjuna Wholefoods on Mill Road has a slightly smaller selection but is independent, has a great range of local produce, and sells fresh food made in their own kitchen, as well as having a vegan/vegetarian staff. Of course a chain can't really emulate an independent shop, but I think Revital would be much improved and lose the 'generic health shop' vibe if they employed more interested staff, sourced more items locally, and introduced at least a small selection of fresh produce.

Pros: Convenience, New products introduced regularly, Wide selection of mock meats

Cons: No fresh produce , Lack of local products , Disinterested staff

Great vegan supplies - Edit

They have a fridge at the back with heaps of cheeses, mock meats and ice cream.

At the front they offer around 2 vegan savoury pastries and 2 vegan flapjacks.

My only complaint is that I couldn't find things like chia seeds even though they had lib seeds. Maybe they were there.

Usual health shop, some nice home-made snacks - Edit

Exactly what you'd expect. I can find most of what I need, at least food wise, at rather high prices. At the moment I consider it the best stacked shop for vegans
food in Cambridge. The stuff varies from friendly to not-so-much and they don't seem particularly knowledgable when it comes to vegan cosmetics.

However, they do some pretty good vegan chocolate coconut flapjacks and samosas.

Great shop - Edit

Personally I think this shop is great. They have such a huge range including all groceries, freezer items, toiletries, cosmetics, basically everything you might need apart from fresh fruit/vegetables. I don't find it expensive compared to places like Holland & Barrett and the staff have always been nice to me. I can never resist taking away one of their hot vegan sausage rolls or samosas. It's just as well I work the other side of town.

Pros: Range, Baked goods

Nice Staff, Tasty Food - Edit

I've only come across this shop a few months ago, but since then do a lot of shopping in there. Lots of vegan options for the freezer, some vegan cheese and some tofu. Vegan baking ingredients can be found here as well. The fresh bakery things are usually very delicious and they are all labelled. I have tried the vegan SOS roll, vegan samosa, and vegan spring roll, which were all very good. I also had a spinach thing which was a bit dry and crumbly. The best fresh things they make though are the deserts. the vegan Chocolate Flapjack is amazing! As is the apricot crumble! I can only recommend this store, especially for a quick bite if you are in town!
Not sure why the review below me says the staff is rude, everyone is always very friendly to me in there!

Pros: Tasty food, vegan baking ingredients, vegan freezer 'junk' food

Cons: non-vegan food sold

rude staff and high prices - Edit

The idea of having a healthfood shop in the middle of Cambridge's historic city centre, close to ancient Colleges, is fantastic. Unfortunately, the standard has gone downhill since Cambridge Health Foods was taken over by Revitalise. Small cakes have very high prices compared even to nearby boulangeries, let along the two Cambridge branches of Holland and Barrett, and worst of all, I have found that on several occasions the staff at Revitalise have been extremely rude. They routinely make personal comments criticising customers (e.g. their food and health choices), and I have even heard staff mock customers once they've left the shop. I am afraid that one staff member in particular, whom I shall not name, is getting a bit of reputation in the area. It is up to senior people at the company to take some action here, and aim to restore the high esteem in which this store was once held in Cambridge, i.e. to reverse the decline which, I am sorry to say, has brought it notoriety. Let's hope they read this and take action!

Pros: range of veggie food

Cons: very rude staff, expensive,

No refunds policy - Edit

I really liked this shop, despite it having an unpleasant feel of a ran down Holland&Barratt store, until one day had to return a faulty product. Turned out a pot of cream I bought has been previously opened and tried in store by other customers. I only noticed when I got home. Well, Revital doesn't do refunds even if it's a damaged product! Credit note or exchange is the only option. They did a credit note in the end but it was such a big deal! The shop manager stood in the corner while a member of staff was doing the credit note and kept pointing his finger at me and talking to one of his colleagues, presumably explaining how some customers can be such a pain that they want a refund! Never again will I buy anything from them. Will stick with ordering online from other retailers or going to John Lewis.

Cons: no refunds policy

Excellent range! - Edit

This is a very large shop which carries quite a big range of products. Very much worth a trip if you're looking for something hard to find!

Also has some baked food to take away to eat, in case you got hungry while you were shopping.

Pros: range

Nice and convenient - Edit

I go here often because it is downtown even though it doesn't have that co-op feel and no fresh produce. They do have a nice selection of the essentials though and they are full of friendly advice when you need something for a cold or other health issue. Has a nice deli section.

Pros: Friendly staff, Essential products

Cons: No produce

Return to Cambridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Revital Health at Cambridge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2811 times since Aug 2007.