CLOSED: Resto Vego - McGill College

Contact 514-871-1480

1204, rue McGill College, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3B 4J8

Vegetarian buffet offering an extensive selection of salads, entrees, hot food, and desserts. Since Jan 2014. SEP 2016 CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS - LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN IT REOPENS! Open Mon-Wed 11:30am-9:30pm, Thu-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 11:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, International, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out, Canadian

First Review by Ninchen

Diverse selection - Edit

There's a lot on offer here, enough that almost anyone should be able to find something appealing. Fortunately, vegan items are clearly marked with placards (though in a few cases it wasn't clear which placard referred to which dish, so in those cases one may need to ask to be sure).

On my visit (which admittedly was half an hour before closing time) all of the dishes in the buffet that were supposed to be served hot were lukewarm at best, which made them less enjoyable, so I preferred the cold dishes from the salad bar (like a nice avocado salad). YMMV.

Good food - Edit

It is always nice to go to Végo. The atmosphere might not be the best, but sometimes you just want a place like that to eat and relax. And this location has large windows from which you can look at people walking on Ste-Catherine.
You can choose items from the buffet (tofu, seitan, salads, soups, desserts) or opt for the tasty sandwiches and salads from the Petit Végo.

Pros: Good food, A lot of variety, Can be quite oily

Cons: More items could be veganised, Not the best atmosphere

Une caféteria - Edit

C'est une caféteria. Une bonne sélection pour un lunch végé. Aucunement une expérience gastronomique. Pour le prix, il y a bien mieux.

Pros: Une bonne sélection

Cons: Goût fade, Très cher pour ce que c'est, Manque d'ambiance

So many options! - Edit

I am not used to having so many vegan options when I dine out, so I tried a little bit of almost every vegan option. I loved that everything was clearly marked (even if you don't speak french) and that they had a bit of everything (hot food, cold salads, healthy food, less than healthy food). I do like the pay by weight, because I think it helps you be a little bit more aware of what you are choosing rather than just getting something to throw it away. I wish I had something like this near where I live! The food was pretty good, some was a bit cold but not unsurprising in a buffet setting.

Pros: many options, clearly labeled

Very filling! - Edit

This was a decent place to go, with a range of tasty dishes. It's a buffet style place, where you weigh your plate, and I was silly and took too much - I didn't realise how filling it would all be! The seitan stew was especially tasty. The layout was slightly confusing, but the food was nice - though not quite as exciting as some of the other places we went to in Montreal.

Pros: filling, quick

It's downtown - Edit

Looking for something in the downtown business core? This is a good option. You will be full guaranteed. Seriously, the guy who wrote a review saying he needed more than a kilo of food for 1 meal was probably skipping meals that day.

Tasting: Some of the options look delicious but don't taste that way. I take a tiny amount on my plate and taste it with my fingers, if not you get stuck with food you don't want to eat like bland curried tofu.

I've been to both locations and I find this McGill one to be a boring vibe upstairs and quiet. But if you work downtown, it's worth a try.

Pros: You choose

Nice but ordinary - Edit

I went there with some friends a couple of weeks ago, nothing bad to say really, but ordinary place with ordinary choices of food. I must say, I'm not a big fan of buffet, but I was hoping for more variety in the food and a more convivial ambiance.

Good in a pinch - Edit

We stopped in on a local recommendation. I am NOT a buffet person so I was concerned how long things might have been "out" before I got there. Great variety for vegans so you can have a dynamic meal. I was disappointed with the freshness and flavour (sauce based/sugar/salt). It tasted like the cafeteria style it is. On the whole not tragic, just very Ikea-esque.

Pros: Variety, central location, take out options

Cons: buffet style

One-timer - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here for lunch a couple of days ago and it was fine but not great by any measure. There were a lot of options to choose from but the quality was inconsistent. The only things that stood out were the sesame tofu and the quinoa veggie cakes with tomato sauce (which were very good). I had the tempeh korma and the potatoes were hard/barely cooked. Everything else was just alright and it's pricey unless you seriously load your plate and pay the maximum 15 dollars for a lot of food.

Pros: So many vegan options

Nice Option - Edit

There are many vegetarian options here, but with the perennial problem of over-reliance on dairy; only half the options are vegan. The vegan/dairy options are labeled with icons but this is unrelated to the color-coding & can be confusing as they are mixed together. Very few vegan desserts, but worth finding those that are (or grab some fruit).
The vegan foods I tried were all tasty & there were a good number of options, so I'm giving this a 4. For a 5, it would need 75%+ vegan options and some more greens-based cooked foods (most hot foods were root vegetables, seitan/tofu or starch/pasta).

Pros: Buffet (is quick), Variety, Tasty

Cons: Dairy in many options, Labeling could be clearer, Expensive (food by weight)

Perfect - Edit

What? Vegetarian buffet in downtown Montreal? For a vegan like me who has a lot of problem finding something vegan, this place is great for a quick pick up meal while you're out there shopping.
You can either dine in or a grab food to go, although you'll pay a little extra for take out but hey, you're in downtown right?.
From gluten free salad to warm tempeh dish to soup to dessert, everything taste great (I only tried vegan dish of course).
I recommend this place 100% and if it's your first time going there, they'll be more than happy to explain how it works.

Pros: Food of course, Healthy food near your work, Great variety

Cons: Could be bigger, Should be advertised more, Only one restaurant downtown

Good, quick lunch! - Edit

First off, the location of this restaurant is exactly where the address says it is, but it is still somewhat difficult to find—there isn't a sign outside with the restaurant's name on it, but if you walk through the door at 1204, you'll see a sign pointing up the stairs.
There are four or so buffet tables, plus a cooler with sodas, teas, beers, and wines, and a coffee and tea station. Very wide selection, from the quite-healthy to the cheese-heavy, plus various cakes for dessert.
I agree with the other reviewers who said the place is nothing extraordinary—but it is good, and it's refreshing to find so many options in one place. Because there's such a variety, it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone to find something that suits their dietary restrictions and tastes. I have food allergies (onion, garlic, scallion), and was pleased that most everything was well-labeled with regard to ingredients.
I'm only in Montreal for a few days, but I will likely stop by this place again for a quick and casual lunch when I visit the city again!

Pros: great variety of dishes, friendly staff, good beverages

Cons: somewhat expensive

perfect for a quick meal - Edit

Nice buffet with lots of easy to identify vegan options, plenty of tables, nice staff
Really liked the spring rolls with mango sauce
I wouldn't mind if there was more vegan cake :)

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Resto Vego - McGill College closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.