Restaurante Manantial

• Vegetarian
Contact 2-227569

9 de Octubre N22-25 (at Jeronimo Carrion, in Mariscal Sucre, east of Parque El Ejido), Quito, Ecuador,

Long-time operating veggie restaurant near the spiral mall. Menu is approximately 95% vegan, with vegan versions of local specialties as well as veganburgers and more. Also sells some natural health products. Nice space.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Ecuadorian

First Review by

the lunch is not really vegan friendly - Edit

I went there at lunch and it was a lunch of the day. Theorically it consists in a soup, a hot dish with a salad anda dessert. As a vegan, i couldn't eat the soup, nor the dessert and a part of the hot dish was removed. In the end, the amount of food wasn't enough for a meal...

Cons: lunch not vegan friendly

Wonderful surprise - Edit

First time on apply cow and was delighted to find vegan food in Quito! This was wonderful!! $5.00 for 2 complete lunches: brown rice, squash soup, entrees, empanadas-- wide variety! All delicious!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 12, 2013
Oops-- wrong restaurant--I was at el vegetariano!! Sorry!!

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive, Low key atmosphere

Cons: Not fancy

Not impressed - Edit

I had some expectations on this place, after reading reviews here. We had the set lunch, which after a good salad buffet and a standard soup, was a dish of potatoes and mock-meat served on a salad leaf. Very uninteresting. My meat-eating friends were more pleased than me, and even though it's wasn't expensive, I would've choose another of the many veggie places in the area. On the other hand, maybe we were just unlucky?

Pros: Vegan-friendly, Salad buffet, 80's power ballads as background music

Cons: Uninspired food, 80's power ballads as background music

Excellent cheap veggie find - Edit

This restaurant is not the prettiest on the outside, but the food is excellent. They have a lot of vegan options on the menu. I had a vegan version of an Ecuadorian dish and it was excellent and cheap. This was one of the cheaper veggie restaurants I visited in Quito.

Pros: Vegan options, Cheap

Good place - Edit

This was my first foray into Ecuadorian veg restaurants, and it was pretty good. The menu is well written in terms of vegetarian/vegan distinctions and the prices aren't too bad, most items are under $5.

The real winner is definitely the set lunch, delicious "salad bar" that had potatoes, radishes, and cucumbers in separate bowls you could take from, with all different sauces. The soup was also pretty good, typical South American style bean soup.

The issue came in with the meal, when I asked if it was vegan (all in Spanish), my waitress seemed almost confused by this question, like they don't have other vegans come in or she's new? Soon found out that the corn tortillas were made with cheese, so I asked,logically, if we could take the cheese out...next thing I know, she had to bring the manager over and he sorted it all out after asking the cook. Though confusing in the beginning, they were very nice and traded out the corn tortillas, making me this fried potato delicious tortilla like thing.

The rest of the main plate included some delicious fried seitan, and guacamole. Dessert was a piece of pineapple, all for the beautiful price of 2.75.

Minus the whole vegan/non vegan mishap, I definitely enjoyed my lunch.

Good food... - Edit

My favorite veggie restaurant in Quito.

Mostly frequented by local Ecuadorians. The place is small & at lunch it fills up quickly. The exterior needs some touch up, but the interior, including the bathroom, is well maintained.

The staff & owner are attentive & friendly.

My wife ordered the set lunch for $3 or so. I ordered from the menu.

The set lunch included a Mote salad, Quinoa soup, & an Eggplant with Llapingachos(mashed potatoes balls made with 3 kinds of potatoes) entree.

From the menu I ordered a Crepe stuffed with Mushrooms & an extra Llapingachos order which came with Seitan fingers & a Vegan Hot Dog. To drink I ordered Tree Tomato juice.

All were very good.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Attractive interior

Cons: Can fill up for lunch, Outside needs paint

Manantial, Quito - Edit

This is another vego restaurant in Mariscal with a similar set up to most of the vego restauarnts around there. Namely they offer an inexpensive menu del dia. For $3 something I had soup, a snack sized empanada, salad and pasta a la jardin as well as a soft drink to wash it down. It was a bargain. The guy who worked immediately knew what I meant when I asked for 'vegano'.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Inexpensive

Nice place - Edit

After 4.5 months in Ecuador, we flew out of Quito. It was nice to find places that offer vegan dishes in vegetarian restaurants. They were friendly and catered to our vegan, gluten free eating habits.Recommend it to others! Salad was fifty cents! Dishes are 2-4 dollars. A bargain as it is Ecuador!

Pros: friendly, big portions for your money, adaptable to our diet

Cons: not all vegan, not as good as a USA veg restaurant

Restaurante Manantial - Edit

we ordered the lunch special for $2. this included tea, soup, salad, a main course (rice dish) & a dessert. food is good; the value is excellent. a nice Colombian man now owns/runs the place. he has lived in the U.S. and has the ability to communicate in English.

Pros: good food, excellent value, healthy cuisine

Friendly service - Edit

Our hotel was located only a couple of blocks away, so we tried to go here the first night, but it was already closed. The next time, we came earlier around 5pm, but she was getting ready to close soon. The owner is a very friendly and helpful lady, but she doesn't speak any English (and our Spanish is pretty useless), so we were very lucky that an American ex-pat was there as he helped us order. She initially told him that she only had hamburgers left, but he recommended the apanado plate which she did end up having. Huge servings with breaded "meat", potatoes, salad, rice and avocado. We enjoyed some tree tomato juice as well. It was very inexpensive and we took hamburgers to go too. We came back the day of our flight to get food to take on the plane (TACA does not provide special meals) and once again, our ex-pat was there to help us get some yummy rice dishes and hamburgers to go. Definitely check it out if you are looking for inexpensive filling food with great service in Quito.

Pros: inexpensive tasty food , friendly helpful owner

great!!! - Edit

THERE IS A VERY NICE LADY WHO RUNS THE PLACE!!very friendy and attentive.I had the soy fritada plate which was great and my boyfriend had the chinese rice.I was almost scared to keep eating the fritada it tasted real!I didnt get sick so im positive it wasnt real.my boyriend also said there is boner juice its under "energy drink" but it works!try it.oh and vegan friendly!!!

Pros: friendy, vegan friendly, great price

Cons: none!!

Return to Quito Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Restaurante Manantial closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2224 times since Oct 2007.