REMOVED: Restaurant Hongkong

Contact 514-861-0251

1023 St Laurent (at De La Gauchetiere, Chinatown), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2Z 1J4

Serves meat, vegan options available. Dim sum restaurant, has a separate vegetarian menu with faux meat options - you have to ask for it. AUG 2014 REPORTED NO LONGER OFFERING VEG MENU. REMOVED FROM HAPPYCOW.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Cantonese, Non-veg

First Review by thisisme

New Owners - Edit

We've enjoy very nice vegetarian meals at the Hong Kong restaurant in the past - but things have changed. We went there last night and asked for the separate vegetarian menu . The restaurant has new owners and the menu has changed. The vegetarian options have been significantly reduced and they are now listed in the regular menu with everything else. That triggered some concern for us, so we asked for confirmation that vegetarian really meant vegetarian. The guy said, he wasn't so sure about the preparation, use of chicken stock and real veg recognition anymore. We lost our appetite and they lost our business. We got up and left.

Ok option - Edit

I like this place. It is a Cantonese restaurant that serves meat. There are the usually assortment of vegan dishes on the menu (veggies and tofu, fried tofu, etc.) and there is also a vegetarian faux-meat menu that you must ask for.

That little menu is what makes this place fun. There are lots of neat little dishes on there that I have not seen anywhere else. Some of them are delicious but battered so make sure you ask if you are looking for a "healthier" veggie option. Also, I think one of the fake meats they use has milk in it, so be sure and ask when you order (sorry I forget which one).

The restaurant is open late, it's quite cheap ($6-9 per dish), and they have the only faux-meat cantonese menu in town. Negatives include the standard plastic table cloth.

As for the other poster, I have always found these place to be fine. The waiters are cantonese, which can throw off people used to western style serving, and I have always found them quick, polite, and friendly if I had questions or specific requests. The food is not supersonic but it is good and the portions generous.

Pros: faux-meat, cheap, open late

Cons: plastic table cloth

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: Restaurant Hongkong closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1399 times since Jul 2008.