Restaurant Bona Dea

Contact +41-044-2171515

Bahnhofplatz 15, Zürich (at main train station), Zurich, Switzerland, 8001

Zurich vegetarian restaurant offering a self-serve buffet of mainly Indian foods. Some items, such as soup, contains dairy. English spoken. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 5:30pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Buffet

First Review by Stevie

it's okay - Edit

I've eaten twice in this restaurant, the first time was absolutely delicious with lot's of yummy food and a nice atmosphere in the restaurant (we were there shortly before closing). The second time though was not the same, the food wasn't as good, the service was bad and it was soo crouded:/ for that price I wasn't happy with the food...

Pros: loation

Hidden Surprise at Zurich Main Station - Edit

The à discretion buffet provides a big choice of food discoveries and the staff is friendly and professional. It was my first time to try "Bittergemüse" there and I like that they served it even though bitter is not a very popular flavour. Lots of food is vegan (many Indian dishes) and declaration is clear.

During my last visit, the restaurant was almost empty which is probably due to its hidden location at the corner of the main station. The food is similar to Hiltl/Tibits but the place is less crowded, has friendly service and does not try to be hip with fast-food muzak and fake-crocodile fabric.

This restaurant is owned by Candrian Catering. If you'd like to support smaller, punky restaurants, rather go for Samses.

Visited in summer 2013.

Pros: Broad culinary horizon, Quiet place, no reservation needed, Friendly service

Cons: part of a non-veg restaurant chain

Indian goodness - Edit

I overlooked this place for nearly 8 months and finally tried it. It's so nice! If you're into Indian cuisine and need to go to a nice dinner, go here. Buttt beware, it's not cheap...but what is in Swiss?

Pros: Good food, In hauptbahnoff (main station)

High Expectations - Edit

I ate here 4 years ago for the 1st. The Restaurant is vegetarian. The service was not really friendly which was not typical for Switzerland (where service is mostly good). Buffet style. I personally found the restaurant a flop after having big expectations having heard about it... I would advice few other restaurants in Zürich before going there. No personal touch with the customers... at least 4 years ago...

Cons: service

Good Food - Edit

It is not cheap, but the prices are normal for the area. The main dishes are mainly South Indian, a cuisine I happen to like a lot. If you don't like Indian food, you will probably spend too much on salad you could have had cheaper elsewhere. The room is not as stuffed with tables as the Hiltl, which makes the athmosphere more relaxing.

Pros: Great food, convenient location

Decent - Edit

The food was good, but most of it wasn't extraordinary. When we came in the restaurant was empty, which made the atmosphere rather awkward. It's a good location, but I'm not sure I would come here again, especially with Hiltl not too far away.

great food! - Edit

We passed this place when leaving the train station (great location)and went back to try it after checking in. It was a bit intimidating when you do not know exactly what you are supposed to do. You chose a small or large plate and fill it up from the buffet. You can also do a main meal and desert deal. The waiter spoke very good English and explained the system. My husband (and everyone on the surrounding tables) chose the normal sized plate (20Fr) while i went for the extra large plate (29.50 Fr)as I have a very large appetite.

There was quite a varied selection of Indian style foods and I ended up with about 10 different types of food items on my plate. This is the best way to eat Indian food; a mixture of different flavours. I eat a lot of Indian food back home, and this was some of the best that I have tasted. A good variety of flavours (mild to very hot)with good quality ingredients, obviously freshly made.

It was great to be able to chose anything from such a great looking buffet without worrying about whether there would be any meat or fish in it. Even if you do not like Indian food there are other options. My husband had sweet and sour tofu dish, rice and pancake rolls. There was also a salad bar with a mediterranean feel; it included stuffed vine leaves, stuffed peppers, mozerella, etc.

I thought the food tasted great, and was worth what I paid for it. I would not get that variety of dishes at my regular indian back home for that price. As previously mentioned I have a large appetite and am not shy about piling on the food. I was filled up and did not need desert. I can see how it would become very expensive if there was a group of people, who also had deserts. The drinks are also not cheap. I had a kiwi fruit juice, which at 8Fr I thought was a bit steep, it did taste great though. My husband decided to avoid the expensive drinks and asked for tap water which they were happy to provide free of charge.

This place has the atmosphere of a very upmarket/expensive restaurant - perfect for a romantic dinner.

Pros: upmarket atmosphere, great tasting food, helpful staff

Cons: could be expensive, bit confusing at first

Good Vegan Food - Edit

The food is from a buffet and mostly vegan - the staff will point out the non-vegan food. For some reason most of the deserts are non-vegan.
It has a swanky feel to it and is good for an evening out

Pros: Lots of choice for vegans, Cosy, location

Not the place for promoting vegan lifestyle - Edit

Food tends to be very healthy with lots of Mediterranean and Indian style dishes. There is not many dishes resembling the food that "normal" people eat, thus not the place to take your meat-eating friends/relatives to.

Pros: variety of dishes, location

Cons: too exotic for non-vegans

Station oasis - Edit

Situated on the outside of the main station building, we didn't have to go far for our first taste of Zurich's veggie scene. It has a very swanky feel, despite being a serve yourself buffet. We took the offer of (small plate) main and sweet courses for a combined 26 CHF, which seemed expensive, until we started eating elsewhere in this cripplingly pocket-bashing city. At Bona Dea it's a flat rate regardless of whether you eat lightly or pile your plate high. And, having seen someone else put several different items on their sweet plate, we checked and found you really could choose as many different sweets as you fancied. Ironically, we spent more on our meal at Tibits, Hiltl's 'fastfood' stablemate, where you pay for your food by weight and you have no real idea of what it will cost until the (giant) plate hits the scales. Though there wasn't as much choice as at Hiltl or Tibits, everything we had was gorgeous - beautifully presented and as tasty as it looked - while the ambience was cool and relaxed. The sweets were small, but that only made more room on the plate to try several of them. This seemed about as far removed as you could get from the old non-veggies preconception of a veggie restaurant. The only criticism we'd have is it that it's not entirely clear what you have to do when you go in or what the protocol is in terms of how much you can put on a plate - so it can be a little daunting, especially if you don't speak German. But do persevere, the waitress was much friendlier than her cool demeanour makes her look.

Pros: Location, Presentation

Bona Dea, Zurich - Edit

I ate here last night for the 1st time in 5 years. This place is now mega vegan veggie friendly (although for some strange reason the assistant manager tells me the soup is usually not). Buffet style set up where the bill is based on chosen plate size and number of visits to the table. It was suggested to me that the CHF 29 deal of 2 visits to the buffet with a smaller plate is usually enough for most people. It was for me. Superb food. Excellent variety of choice ofering a grastronomic orgy of taste. Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended. Very helpful staff, English spoken. Thoroughly enjoyable. Superb location at the main train station.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, Great food, helpful staff, Top location

Return to Zurich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Restaurant Bona Dea closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4811 times since Aug 2007.