First Review by jlucfriang

Good food, nice place - Edit

I went there with "meateaters" that tried the Lasagne and were really pleased with it. I took the only vegan dish- which was a stew. I could chose if I wanted potatoes, brown rice or pasta with it. You could chose from a nice salad buffet and a coffee or tea was included. It all tasted very good!
The amount of the food was just fine- especially because you can take as much salad as you like. I think it's a really good value for a small price.
You can sit outside on a quiet road which is really nice on warm summer evenings.

Good quantity for the price - Good tea and dessert - Edit

The dish wasn´t exceptionnal (vegetables in a tomato sauce with potatoes) but you have a buffet included with : bread, pasta, houmous, margarine ... and you also have included coffe or tea and the tea is just EXCELLENT. I also got a berries vegan raw cake with soya vanilla cream :)

Swede Find - Edit

One of the best veggie places I found in Scandinavia. It's in a really nice part of town, it's got a mellow vibe, friendly staff, big portions of great food, very affordable.

Pros: Low Prices , Great Food , Good Location

Cons: Um... I'll Get Back To You On That.

Best Lasagne Ever! - Edit

We frequent Solrosen when we want a full, hearty meal that tastes fantastic! The staff want you to leave full and satisfied.
The menu changes daily, but the lasagne is constant and my favourite by far. There is always one vegan option and many cakes are vegan too. If they ever have the dark chocolate raspberry pie, EAT IT! You will not regret the choice! ;)
The buffet salad bar is much better than many I've been to, with a wide selection of different dishes, including pasta, beans, veggies, potatoes, lettuces, sauces, rices, bread and more, with the staff keeping it fresh on a regular basis. Water and coffee are free and service is always with a smile and conversation. Good stocked bar if that's your thing, with a good amount of seating.

If taking the tram, get off at Järntorget and walk down the road between The Dubliner pub and Akademibokhandeln. The restaurant will be in your sight at the end of the street.

Pros: Big portions, very filling, Reasonable price, All you can eat salad buffet

Warm and welcoming - Edit

In a word -delicious! Vegan friendly foods on the daily menu and vegetarian dishes modified to vegan upon request. Delicious food, great service, friendly folks and casual, welcoming atmosphere. A welcome respite after a week of cold salads from non-veg/vegan friendly places.

Pros: Delicious foods, Friendly staff, Great value

Cons: None!

Fantastic Food, Friendly Environment - Edit

I am less than half a year a veggie and visiting such restaurants surely helps me to consolidate my choice! I went with my girlfriend and we both adored the food. Make sure you try their råris. Their salad bar could be a little less sour but still was good

When hippies have a restaurant - Edit

This place is one of the best, and most classical, in Gothenburg.

It is all-vegetarian, but always with vegan dishes, which is tasty and filling, and they have vegan desserts (although I don't think I've ever wanted one after eating their main dishes) And of course, the beer is pretty cheap (with gothenburg standards).

But really, this is not why you go here. You go here because of the atmosphere and the staff! This place is the opposite of pretentious, even though the occasional hipster can be spotted. The staff is nice and chatty, and if you ask them about the restaurant they happily answer (at least that happened to me the last time; me and the bartender chatted for half an hour until my company demanded that I came back).

Go here with someone (really, anybody; even meat-eaters love this place), have some beer, some food, and notice how you will inevitably be having a good time.

An old favourite! - Edit

Solrosen is ideal if you fancy a beer or some wine with your meal. It is also open in the evenings. In the summer there is an area where you can sit outside. There are usually about 4/5 options and you can choose between a side of mash or pasta. There is good salad bar and filter coffee or tea is included. Unlike other places this is what they offer at lunch and dinner. You find many places offer a 'daily lunch' price with everything included and up the price in the evening or do not include salad and coffee in the evening.

love it! - Edit

I really love their food! If you don't like spicy foods like me, tell them because they have a spicy and one not spicy sauce. The price is really cheap, if you consider that Sweden is an expensive country. They have this amazing smash potato that is served with the dish, bread and a big selection of salad bar (with veggies, sauces, pasta, they even had tzatziki because one of the chef is Greek!)
They also have takeout.
I love this place! I can't wait to go back in Goteborg!

uau! down-to-earth good food and beers place - Edit

I liked the food, which was the one of the main dishes of the day. The staff is friendly. The place is nice, down-to-earh, with cosy atmosphere, and not high class pressure. One may choose the place also for just having some good beer with friends. Music and many announcement/posters make one principled and caring person feel at home.

Food is diverse, with several hot dishes, as well as a salad bar. I did not try the salad, but it looked as I usually know salad bars. The location is good, easy to reach by foot from the shopping/centre areas, or by public transport (it is near a big transport hub). English language is the norm in Sweden.

Pros: nice staff, good food, down-to-earth atmosphere

Informal 'Old Style' Vegi Restaurant & Bar - Edit

Visited on 24th September 2012. On our visit the vegan main was vegetable casserole which we both had. The salad bar came with it at no extra cost. I think the menu must change frequently, maybe daily? All was explained by a slightly eccentric, very friendly dude. We found the place to be cosy and fairly priced. There is a full bar and there were people there just for drinks.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Friendly

Cons: Only 1 vegan option

Worth the Walk - Edit

This restaurant is a bit off the beaten path if you are staying near the Avenyn or Central Station. But it is worth the walk (approximatley 25 minutes from Central Station).
They had one clearly marked Vegan entree the day I was there. It was a potato, vegetable and bean curry which they provided over either pasta, rice or potatoes. They offered a second helping if I was interested, but the portion was very large. The price included a nice salad bar, fresh bread/rye krisp, coffee or tea. All for 85Kr. The restaurant is very cosy and was very busy - lots of larger groups and couples eating. The food is very good and the price is excellent.

Pros: Vegan options, Economical, Very tasty

Decent food, nice place - Edit

As has been said by others, 4 dishes, usually 1 vegan option (marked on menu) and all come with salad and potatoes or rice. Not fine dining by any stretch, but it's decent, tasty, wholesome food and the place has quite a cozy/cool atmosphere. I liked it and it's open late. En Deli Haga is close and I'd go to En Deli for lunch and Solrosen for dinner

Pros: Tasty wholesome food, cool place, vegan option marked

Cons: not alot of vegan options, quite basic food may not be for everyone

Lovely! - Edit

Nice little bar restaurant, very laid back vibe. Choice of several dishes which you order and are served up at the bar - most come with a choice of potatoes, rice or pasta. We had courgette & tomato casserole with rosemary roast potatoes and 'meat' patties with mash and chive sauce. Generous portions, with help-yourself salad bar, bread and coffee included in the price. We also had a rhubard & coconut pie with custard which was delicious. Staff very friendly and helped us translate the Swedish menu!

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Nice location

BEST VEGAN FOOD IN THE UNIVERSE - Edit

This is amazing. If you are reading reviews of food, then you should stop and go to this place and eat food and you will be eternally happy. Like me. Quick! Go! Eat!

Pros: AMAZING FOOD, friendly staff, free strong delectable coffee

Cons: no swimming pool

oldschool - Edit

This is the oldes vegetarian restaurant in Göteborg. Don't miss it. They have a cafeteria style front desk where you can choose from several dishes of the day and your choice of rice, potatoes or pasta with your meal. Salad bar always included. Not to many vegan options. Desert pie is usually vegan though.

Pros: salad buffet, good music, atmosphere

Cons: same menu, few vegan options

were full and satisfied afterwards - Edit

The first impression was not the best, but we were happy to tried this restaurant. The dishes were kept warm, but tasted good. I wish the dishes at my university would taste like that. At this evening there were two vegan options and in addition to that, you have the salad bar, where you can eat yourself fill, i.e. with chickpeas, potatoes, noodles, vegetables, tasty fresh bread,... Furthermore water and coffee are for free. In case we were in Goteborg again, we would go there.

Pros: inexpensive, nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Good food - Edit

Solrosen has been a "family favorite" for years. I always go for their house special, the lasagna, but I have been with others when they have opted for one of the other daily specials - including the vegan special. Rarely are we disappointed.

Relaxed place - Edit

I like the atmosphere here. Always has a vegan option or two, as well as a good salad buffet. The obvious place to go to eat if you are in the Haga area.

Pros: good value, nice space

Cons: lack of choice for vegans

School feeding and grumpy staff - Edit

Visited Solrosen last night. We were disappointed, not only by grumpy and very unfriendly staff but also the fact that it was what we call "brick lunch", i.e. school lunch type food and no table service. Not a very pleasant dining experience.

The food was okay given the circumstances it was served under. Not to recommend for a "dining" experience with your loved one...

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Staff, No service

Cozy atmosphere but so-so vegan option - Edit

In November 2009, the price for a lunch meal was 75 SEK. On the Friday afternoon I went, there was only one vegan main dish, a vegetable stew, which was quite bland (the only flavor it had was the Tabasco sauce I added!) But the atmosphere was very cozy, and staff was friendly. Next time I'm in Gothenburg I will go back and give htem another chance!

Pros: cozy, cheap (well, for Sweden)

Cons: only 1 vegan option, vegan option not so tasty

Alot of food.. - Edit

I've been at Solrosen once. When I was there they had four meals to choose from, one vegan. Each could be served with eather potatoes or rice. I got alot of food and they had a good salad bufe with bread, but many of the veggie-"stews" were not vegan.

They have some tables and chairs outside, which I enjoyed. It wasn't cheap, but not too expensive.

Pros: Much food, Big salad buffé

Cons: Few vegan options

love this place! - Edit

i have been here several times since my first visit in 2003, and it's just as great as back then.

the salad buffe is great (a few of the sauces aren't vegan - ask!), and the main courses, too! there's always at least one vegan option, but often more.

this is one of my favourite restaurants.

Cozy setting with good food - Edit

Went to the restaurant twice for dinner with a nonvegetarian friend. A success both times for both of us. Good food and a nice place to be.

Pros: Friendly staff , Home-like atmosphere, Plenty of food

Your vegetarian heaven on Earth place - Edit

My girlfriend and i just happened to walk by and were pleasantly impressed by the freshness of the cold buffet and that day's vegan lunch special . we definately enjoyed our vegan lunch and encourage anyone out there to stop by .

Pros: Very friendly staff , delicious food , very fresh cold buffet .

Return to Gothenburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Restaurang Solrosen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3535 times since Aug 2007.