Refeitorio Organico

Contact 25370750

Rua Dezenove de Fevereiro, 120, Botafogo, Zona Sul, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 22280-030

Buffet style with many choices including sushi, miso, salad bar, soya meats, and lots of vegan takes on local specialties. The only non-vegan item is honey (Apr 2016). Location is tucked away down a passageway and up some stairs in Rua Dezzanove de Fevereiro, look for the sign. Open Mon-Sat 10:30am-4:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Buffet, Salad bar, Brazilian, Latin American

First Review by Lanky

My little paradise ! - Edit

Amazing place !! The food is just SO DAMN TASTY and creative !! Flavours from all arround Brazil, put together in a simple yet very fine way. Everything I had the chance to taste was perfectly cooked and seasoned (rare enough in RJ !!).
From the street you just can see a sign and a long corridor, but when you get to the end, you discover this really charming place, full of good vibes .
The open area downstairs is super nice, you will simply need to take any seat available and choose what you want on the menu, then write in down on a piece of paper along with your name and the table number.
Give it to the waiter and your food will arrive within a few minutes ! This can seem a bit odd at first but it actually works really well and make everyone´s life easier. Plus this allows you not to pay the usual extra 10% for service.
The prices are excellent for the quality and the amount of food you will be given.
The items on the menu are all organic and change everyday but basically you will have the choice between :

- Especial do dia (R$ 25,5) : The dish of the day, usually served with rice, farofa and a huuuuge salade.
- Meio Especial (R$ 17,5) : Same dish, smaller size Definitely enough for me :)
- A list of arround 15-20 different items to choose from. You can choose up to 5 options (1 option R$8,
2 options R$ 14, 3 options R$18, 4 options R$ 21 and 5 options R$22,5).
Make sure to check their website to know what´s on the list, it´s updated every morning.
You can add drinks (a list of about 10 different fresh delicious juices, they also have tea and soy milk fruit milkshakes) and deserts.
Never tested the deserts, but at least one of them has honey in it (that explain why this place is described as vegetarian and not vegan), so make sure to ask before ordering. They also have a few vegan sorbet.

The area upstairs is an all you can eat buffet :
Mon-Fri : R$ 29,90 (or R$ 25 after 3PM)
Saturday : R$ 48,5

The place also sells some healthy organic products. Make sure to read the ingredient list for each product as some of them are definitely not vegan (eggs/milk/honey).

Pros: Variety - Quality - Quantity, Price, All vegan (except for the desert, they use honey)

Cons: They sell some non-vegan products at the cashier

Variedade E Sabor - Edit

Excelente restaurante. Ótimo para levar aquela pessoa que insiste que "é difícil ser vegetariano". São tantas opções que chega a ser difícil experimentar tudo.

Para melhorar, poderia ter um atendimento mais ligeiro e dispôr de mais lugares, pois ter que descer escada com o prato cheio de comida é complicado.

Pros: Variedade, Sabor, Ambiente

Cons: Atendimento, Quantidade de lugares

Good - Edit

Delicious, fresh ingredients. Ordering process was a bit confusing, because the employees weren't very attentive or friendly.

Once I got the food, it was delicious and fresh, and I really liked it. Service could be a bit better.

Pros: No meat, Delicious, Fresh

Cons: Service needs work

All-you-eat vegan buffet can never be bad - Edit

The selection is huge and all you can eat - this includes a large platter of sushi as well. Cucumbers, carrots, tofu: the standard fare is all available, so is banana-cinnamon and other more exotic varieties.

Plenty of fried foods and Brazilian classics made vegan. You've got spinach quiches, salads, pastas and other miscellaneous foods unidentifiable to this American. All of this for 28 reais, the equivalent of $9 at the time of this writing. Don't miss this place if you're a vegan in Rio.

Vegan Heaven! - Edit

This place was a special trip for us - we've been visiting Rio for years but never made it here until this trip, and now we want to come every day! The food is just wonderful, and SO much variety, from the sushi station, to the salads, to the casseroles, to the grill. The buffet was so incredible that I could not think of eating dinner that night after having lunch there. Then all i could think about was my next lunch there... Absolutely fabulous.

Pros: excellent food - all vegan, excellent value, lovely people working there

Cons: in Botafogo, and not next door to me

Awesome! - Edit

This place is great! I came here several times. The buffet lunch is upstairs. You'll be given a bit of paper to record what you have once you sit down with your food, and you can also order juices and desserts for an extra cost. Amazing selection of food at the buffet - salad, noodles, hummus, potatoes, beans, sushi, spring rolls etc. Everything was delicious except once I got some fruit salad which tasted a bit questionable. Very reasonably priced.

Nice place! - Edit

I wish there are more spots like this in RJ. About two blocks away from the Ibis Botafogo. Good variety of items and friendly service. The menu is all in Portugese, which makes it a little difficult if you are not fluent. You write your choices down on a pad of paper and the waiter will take it back to the kitchen and bring you your food when it is ready. A little different from what I was expecting when I read it was a buffet. I chose 4 items (just based on what I could understand with my limited Portugese) and a fresh juice. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Pros: vegan, variety, budget-friendly

huge buffet - Edit

they offer a huge buffet with salad, and cooked stuff like seitan, different types of pasta, sauces and more. I came here 4 times to have lunch. Big list of juices. I tried around 6 drinks, all were delicious. A good place to eat. Nice dessert too.

Pros: buffet, cheap

Cons: sometimes too full of people

Yum! - Edit

So far, one of my two favorite vegetarian buffet experiences in the world (along with Herman's in Stockholm). Go upstairs for the buffet rather than ordering off of the menu downstairs.

The selection is luxurious and you will be stuffed.

You can also order a wide range of fresh fruit juices (for an extra charge).

Pros: excellent, satisfying buffet, lovely ambience, did I mention the buffet?

Cons: the vegetable sushi is only OK, hard to find the first time

Amazing buffet selection - Edit

We dined at the upstairs buffet for lunch. The selection is huge and amazing. There are salads, a wide variety of hot foods, soup, grilled vegetables, a selection of dumplings, sushi and sesame crackers. Drinks and dessert are extra. There were so many items, such that I tried, but could not manage to try everything. This is definitely a place you should go to in Rio.

Pros: huge buffet selection, great value

My favorite vegan restaurant in the world - Edit

My first time at Refeitorio Organico I knew I had found an amazing place and that I would come back. I did. Almost every week for three months and I can´t wait to go back. The buffet on the second floor is not only vegan, it makes you feel good. It is not that expensive and the staff is supernice. You can´t go to Rio de Janeiro without visiting this place.

The desserts were maybe not my favourite, but it does not matter. After you are done with the buffet, you will not have any more space!

Enjoy!

Shanti shanti shanti
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 27, 2015

Pros: Fantastic food, Good value, Nice atmosphere

The paradise itself - Edit

This is the best place for vegans in Rio de Janeiro, really, they are perfect...even the cashier was wearing a t-shirt that had written "Animals are friends, not food".

You have to go upstairs for the buffet. There are so many options that you will gonna wish eat all the dishes... they have sushi and desserts too!! All you can eat for R$26.

My boyfriend and I were a little "sick" by the caipirinhas the night before, but still we tried to taste all the dishes. So, yes, this was our paradise.

The staff is very polite and friendly. The space is small but with a nice atmosphere.

The street is a bit hidden, you gonna need google maps.

* Sorry my english.

Pros: Excelent food, Good Value, Nice Vibe

Cons: The location, No more cons

Pretty good - Edit

I went there without really understanding that there was a buffet upstairs, so I was sat downstairs and ordered from the waiter.

My food was not bad, but nothing was really outstanding, and it was my first meal in Brazil, so I had high hopes.

I did really like the bobó.

I'd like to add that the person I was with ordered the same thing and loved her meal, so I guess you have to try it for yourself.

Pros: Vegan, Friendly staff, Nice decoration

OUTSTANDING - Edit

This place was hands down the best place we visited in Rio. Amazing and huge buffet with everything you can imagine. I ate so much... Says R22 per person but it was R35 when we went. May want to update. The food was outstanding though. Well worth it!

Return to Rio De Janeiro Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Refeitorio Organico closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.