CLOSED: Red Velvet Cafe - Sahara

702-360-1972

7875 W Sahara Ave, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 89117

Serves meat, vegan options available. Panini sandwiches, salads, pasta. Most items can be requested with veggie meat or soy cheese for extra charge. Usually has vegan specials for the week. Prices inexpensive to moderate. APR 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by veganinvegas

Red Velvet Closed :( - Edit

I'll try to make this quick because I tend to ramble... I went vegetarian in 2006 and vegan in 2007 and will be a vegan for life. Red Velvet Cafe was the FIRST veg and vegan place I got to go to when I was just 16 years old and had only been vegan for just over 2 years. I felt so happy to know that there was something out there for me being vegan and living in Las Vegas, Nevada where vegan food is limited unless you're on the strip and loaded with cash lol!
I didn't really like Red Velvet's food except for their vegan nachos. WHAT I LOVED WAS THEIR DESSERT. Their vegan cake was EVERYTHING. It was so good and i'm so sad to see that i'll never get to have it again. My mom bought the their cake when I left my school crying after dropping out in 2011 to cheer me up because of all the hell the clark county school district put me through and it made me feel happy for that moment, no matter how silly that may sound. I'm sad to see this place close. I wish the whole restaurant was vegan but I am glad that I got to go there while it was open. I went to the fashion show location with my bestie that visited from Canada and she loved this place. Even all the way over in Canada she's sad to hear it's closed. This place left a mark and I wish they would still at least sell their cakes in Whole Foods like they used to in 2009, which is how I discovered them!!!!!! I tend to hold onto the past and it breaks my heart to think of all the times I ate dessert from here on a stormy evening in vegas while listening to demi lovato. I'm gonna miss this place.

Pros: Amazing dessert, Great portions!, Nostalgic flavors

Cons: Wish it was an all vegan establishment, The meals were so/so for me , they are now closed :(

yum!!! - Edit

One of the best places I've ever been. So many vegan sweets! Try the chocolate chip cookies - they somehow taste so buttery and delicious.

Personally, I prefer the Fashion Show location because it's more convenient, but this location is more spacious and I believe it may have a bit more selection.

Always a Pleasure! - Edit

This is a solid go to at both the Sahara and Fashion Show Mall locations! Obviously not every vegan dish at a veg restaurant is perfect but there are tons of solid options. Two of my favorites to satisfy my cravings are The Vegan Mac and Cheese and the Vegan Tuna Melt. Not to mention they change their specials monthly and have great bakery selections. ***they also have some the cheapest cakes and pies around the holidays, not like some of the other pricey vegan bakery options in town ***
Find your favorite dishes- don't believe the negativity surrounding this Vegas Original!

Disappointing, greasy, and overall not good - Edit

This place was SO good when they first opened. They have turned greasy, sandwiches are soggy, lettuce wilted, and service is sub-par. Concept is great; good is very disappointing. With the "cookie-gate" controversy, I will stay away and cook my own food. Plus, they experiment on dishes - there will be no spinach listed, but then they smother the food in spinach. They now have a disclaimer on the menu stating that might have ingredients in a dish that aren't listed on the menu! Who does that????

Cons: Greasy, Cookie-Gate, Very expensive

Love - Edit

I absolutely love Red Velvet Cafe. It was one of my highlights of my Vegas trip. Love that everything can be made vegan, the staff is great and it's all delicious.

Pros: Lots of vegan, Declicious

DISAPPOINTED - Edit

I was so looking forward to eating here, but I don't eat any oil in my food. I ordered a special dish which the male waiter said was wonderful. It was the most bland thing I ever ate; no seasonings or sauce of any kind. It was expensive and I couldn't even eat it. I told the waiter but he just could care less. You would think that he would have asked to exchange it for something else or at least give us a discount on the dessert. I will not be returning.

Pros: The Red Velvet Cake

Cons: Expensive, Non-chalant attitude

Definitely Questionable - Edit

I've been going to Red Velvet for well over 2 years now. Each time, if I get a new waiter/waitress, I would ask what the ingredients were and it's as if they read from the same script, they always said it was their "secret" recipe but reassured me that it was completely fresh and homemade. I just chalked it up to maybe they didn't want to reveal their "secret" to rivals. I always questioned the supposed calorie content of their baked goods and laughed each time they said their cookies were 27 calories. I consider myself a pretty good baker, but it doesn't take a baker to realize that they weren't telling the truth, but I trusted them. Then recently I started staying away from gluten. I went there today to try to conjure up a gluten-free lunch for my fiance and I was thinking black beans, veggies and brown rice until I was told that the pho chicken they use is completely gluten free. This is when I started doing a little more research. Many gluten-free people have eaten there and gotten sick, why? Until this afternoon, I never actually caught this place telling a lie, only questioned their "low cal" desserts. Then I stumbled up on this article on the review journal that I will post after this review. Read it for yourselves. This review is not bashing on the food that they serve; however, not only must a restaurant serve good food, they must also be credible and tell the customers exactly what is IN their food. I cannot put into words how disgusted and disappointed I am with Red Velvet Cafe after reading this article. The bottom line is this...the ONLY time to lie is when you're hiding something and this is one of those times. If you asked me last week, I would have rated this place about a 4...I will rate them a 2-NEEDS IMPROVEMENT. Like I said, their food is good but what's in it???

Pros: good food

Cons: questionable ingredients, loss of credibility

I absolutely love this place! - Edit

They have the most delicious vegan cakes I have ever had. My husband and I don't live anywhere close but are willing to travel to eat here because of the array of food options. What other place can I order a vegan bacon, chicken, cheeseburger? I rarely cook the alternative meats at home for health reasons, but when going out it's fun to be able to have a treat. Isn't that the reason for going out to eat? Eating guilty without the cruelty. ;-)

Not clean - Edit

I used to LOVE this place, but the food quality took a dive! The staff is excellent, however. Their panini press is absolutely Filthy. I've gotten sandwiches with burnt residue from other orders. The lettuce is wilted and the portions have otter smaller. I had to ask for more " tuna " on my melt, it was mostly bread and onions. Next time I had to ask for the cheese to be melted; they sent a tuna melt out with cold shredded Deya cheese just thrown on it.

Pros: Great staff!, Variety , Chocolate chip vegan cookies!

Cons: Not clean, Dirty grill/press, Stingy portions

If you value your health stay away - Edit

My friend an I ate at this location, I am a celiac and had a supposed gluten free sandwich. My friend is a strict vegan due to her egg and dairy allergy. We received poor service, over greasy oily badly presented food. My friend an I were violently ill after eating their food. She had the vegan chicken tacos and I had a Gluten free chicken mushroom melt.
Bad service, horrible food, and the pain that followed I"ll never return to this location.

Pros: location

Cons: oily, unhealthy, bad service

Sundays - Edit

My husband and I went to try this place out, but they are closed on Sundays. Hoping to get a chance to try it next weekend.

REALLY Good Desserts - Edit

I came here once when I was on vacation in Las Vegas. My dad's partner had a book that was like Holly Madison's (the playboy model) guide to Las Vegas so he wanted to go where she said to go. In her book she said that this place had the best red velvet cake and chocolate chip cookies; she was right! They had a whole bakery with so many different desserts and they all looked so good. Unfortunately I did not get to try any of their food on the menu but it looked really good. I would definately go back and try it!

Pros: really good desserts, friendly staff

Cons: kind of expensive

best ever - Edit

Worth every penny. Stock up on supplies, too. Amazing vegan food. Two locations. This place saves me when I come to Vegas.
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 24, 2009

Pros: quality, quantity, variety

Cons: price, hours, crowded

Questionable - Edit

I got a vegan spinach chicken wrap and some tea and as I was eating it, I kept questioning if it was vegan or not. It was so damn delicious. I have gotten their individual cakes at Whole Foods countless times. One thing I'm not satisfied with is their service. They need to either hire more friendly people or calm down and listen to their customers more. Also, why stay open another hour if I can't order?

The claim that their cakes are less than 250 calories baffles me.

Pros: Food, Location, Healthy

Cons: Expensive, Staff, Hours

sgoodmanesq 22 Feb 2013 - Their cakes are delicious but there's no way they could be under 250 calories. The icing alone has got to be over 250. They have told me the same thing when I go there and each time I have trouble not laughing.

Great Vegan Food - Edit

Being Vegan and sight seeing in Las Vegas can be challenging, which is why I am so thankful for this place. My fiance and went to the Red Velvet inside the Fashion Show mall and ordered the Buffalo chicken wrap and chicken spinach wrap which came with a salad. After being in the hot Vegas sun walking around, we were happy to have a nice cool meal. We had even joked about just eating there everyday because the food was so good, well the owner referred us the Red Velvet restaurant and we ended up driving there the next day. I ordered the Buffalo chicken wrap again ( my favorite), and my fiance got the Chicken artichoke spinach panini which was very tasty. This time we left room for desert and ordered the Red Velvet cake, just as everyone else said , this cake is amazing and worth the trip! The owner made us feel right at home, the place was crowded but our food came quickly and the waitress was very friendly. We will be sure to visit again when we are in town.

Pros: Friendly, Clean, Vegan options

A Great Find - Edit

I'm from New York and did not expect to find a good vegan restaurant in Las Vegas. Red Velvet Cafe has excellent food and super desserts. The night I was there EVERY dessert was vegan. The one I chose was excellent as was my entree. All meat based entrees are available with non-meat substitutes. I was there with 3 carnivore family members and they all enjoyed their non-veg food there. My brother-in-law, a diehard anti-veg eater said that he "had to admit" that the food was good. Service was a little slow but very courteous and pleasant. Atmosphere is casual. Highly recommend Red Velvet.

Pros: good food, pleasant staff, great dessert

Cons: service a little slow

The Worst Customer Service Ever! - Edit

Food were completely overpriced for what they offer from appetizer,to entrees, to the dessert. We had an appetizer and was so gross that we could not even finish the one bite. We brought this to the owners attention, not only they were not accomdating, they were rude and refused to take it off the bill and refused to let us order something instead. We went back another time, (to try this place once more) The Entree I had ordered, had a piece of short black hair. The server took the dish back to the kitchen but the owner came to our table and was not apologetic but with such a rude demeaner arguing that it was none of the kitchen staff that the hair belonged to. Everyone at my table was in shock with his response. I had long hair down my waist, obliviously it was not mine. But!! that was not the point. The problem was still not addressed. He refused to take it off the bill and refund my money. He offered a credit "verbally" (That he will take care of it when I come back next time) I left the restaurant, disgusted with their food, with their price (there were 3 of us ladies, lunch $80), and mosttly with their attitude and customer service. That day I went home with an upset stomach. I will never go back and I DO NOT recommend this place AT ALL. Please go to whole foods and you/wallet/stomach will be much happier!!!

Pros: none

Cons: price, service, cleanliness

Love it - Edit

Amazing pastries! Staff has always been very friendly and remembers me even though I only stop in every few months. Not a fan of the pizzetas due to the mushrooms being from a can. Pastas are great however.

Aneesha 15 Jun 2010 - Mushrooms are NOT canned!!! All vegetables are ordered fresh daily!!!!!

Return to Las Vegas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Red Velvet Cafe - Sahara closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.