CLOSED: Red Veg

Contact 01273-679910

21 Gardner St, North Laine, East Sussex, UK, Brighton, England, BN1 1UP

Small shop with a few tables for dining in. From a chance meeting in Vietnam in 1998, RedVeg was born. Richard Garratt and Mark Burrage were both passing through Nha Trang when they met, and after an enlightening exchange of ideas and concepts the company was formed. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by onejamie

Great place to watch the world go by - Edit

had a couple of great visits here most items can be made vegan and very reasonably priced went in the evening and it wasn't to busy had a really nice laid back vibe and great mint tea

Good fast-food - Edit

I had a hot dog and a large fries. The hot dog was a little small though, but it tasted very good.
It was clean as I visited it. I recommend it to everyone

Pros: Fast food, friendly stuff

Cons: small portions

My guitly pleasure! - Edit

The staff here are away with the fairies and super-friendly!! They always have a smile on their faces and some random music playing!

I love this place (my waistline does not! Extra time in the gym needed). As a vegan, I sometimes just fancy some junk food and this place totally sates my cravings!

There is nothing fancy about this place and it's not always the cleanest, but I don't care! I'm only popping in to grab a burger!

Yum! Oh, and remember to tell them you want vegan (if you do!) as their food often comes with mayonnaise and non-vegan ketchup. They have vegan options for you, just ask!

Pros: Junk-food-tastic, Lovely staff, Cheap

Cons: Bit dirty!

One of the best veggie burgers!!! - Edit

Been here a few times before when we fancied something small or quick. The burgers are always excellent, a decent size and there are usually a few added specials to try out. If you don't want a burger, they do sell vegan hotdogs and wraps as well as vegan cake. I took my very carnivorous sister here almost a year ago and she still goes on about it now!
Highly recommended if you want a good veggie burger and fries.

Pros: good food, good portions

fresh fast food - Edit

Fast food cooked fresh. Easy option if you are passing although it was busy so we did have to wait a while for our hot dogs. Really friendly staff.

Pros: really friendly staff, nice food

okay - Edit

Burgers are okay and good range. I find it a little slow here as it is meant to be a fast food joint. It is kind of expensive for what you get, even for brighton. I have gone here a few times but it is never my first choice.

Pros: a change from the norm veggie places

Cons: slow fast food, expensive for what you get, better places very close

quick stop - Edit

handy place to havee in the lanes for a quick nibble, vegan opptions on most food,(no cheese put in your burger),if your on the move and want a quick gap filler, here is the place!

Pros: easy to find, hot food, cheap(ish)

Cons: bit messy as day goes on

never realised i missed fries so much.... - Edit

i'm addicted to red veg. reasonable prices tasty fast food. didn't realise i missed fries so much. good vegan options, whole earth soda in the fridge, what else do ya need? nice to take away and sit on the beach.

Pros: good portions, veggie fries, tasty burgers

Best vegan burger - Edit

The red veg burger is brilliant. Favourite is the hickory smoked one, but the chilli and original, not to mention the mushroom one, are all tasty. The falafel wraps and hot dogs are pretty good too. Oh, and try the baby corn firesticks with the sweet chilli dip!
Red Veg has even become the favourite burger bar of my (formerly McD-addicted) meat-eating friend, so give it a try.

Pros: best vegan burgers, firesticks, friendly staff

Cons: sometimes slow service, not open late enough!

Wish we lived nearer! - Edit

We visited Red Veg in Feb 09. My boyfriend loves this place and would eat here every day if he lived closer! Good value food. I would recommend to anyone the onion rings and sweetcorn. Only bad point is they seemed to not keep tabs on stock and had run out of things we wanted on 2 visits there. Would definetly recommend though and we will be returning next time we are down that way!

Pros: good value, great concept, great staff

Cons: stock levels

A (not so) guilty pleasure - Edit

Something it's good to be naughty and stuffing my face with a redveg burger is the thing to do. It has all the taste of a 'meaty' burger but with none of the nasty, deseise filled rotting flesh. The service is normally great but if you go on a Saturday you may be in for a wait. I really love it!

Pros: great naughty food

Cons: at time the service

Nice food... for takeout. - Edit

The restaurant was quite dirty, I recommend if you stay to go outside or on the raised platforms. The service was good and the staff were very friendly, but they had very loud (VERY loud) music playing which was quite intrusive.
When we got our falafels, they were very tasty, but I would have rather had them at home.

Pros: Lovely grub, Friendly staff

Cons: Dirty floor, Intrusive music

Contributions +87

Just a burger bar - Edit

This is an alternative burger and hotdog bar. It is a veggie/vegan outlet that serves its purpose where veggies want a burger and fries after a night out on the booze. You get what you ay for so do not expect fancy food or big portions. I have had a couple of below par experiences here with cold food and missing items but nothing that was not corrected with replacements or money back.

It would be nice if they could now move forward and review their packaging policies where cartons and wrapping is concerned with the current climate news hitting the headlines.

However i would not really visit this place in Brighton as there are so many others offering excellent food. Worth a visit.

Pros: cheapish, fast, Vegan friendly

Cons: limited, packaging, can be problems

Very dirty - Edit

Visited this place mid afternoon (had been there last year and loved it) but this time I left. I was filthy. Food all over the floor (even behind the counter), papers and half rolled cigarette on the counters and just very grubby. No staff to be seen in the few minutes I stood there and looked around amazed. Just what has happened to this place?

Cons: Very dirty, No sign of staff

Vegan Fast Food - Edit

This is great for a quick snack, with burgers, hotdogs and fries being the maority of the menu. Fast Food with a conscience, this is great when you get the craving for a burger and fries. They have vegan mayo and the burgers themselves are vegan so plent of choice.
There is seating but this is not a restaurant - really a takeaway with seating so not for an anniversary dinner!

Pros: vegan fast food, quick service, tasty

Tasty Fast Food - Edit

We ate here in November 2006.

The atmosphere and vibe was very relaxed. The tables and chairs were small - but it was better than many 'fast food' settings. There were some interesting artworks on the walls.

I ordered a falafel wrap, but they didn't have any left - so I had it in a burger instead... hey no worries - still tasted great!

The price was fair - pretty cheap for the serving sizes. They didn't have eftpos facilities, but maybe that was on purpose.

If the chairs were more comfy and they'd had wraps, I would have rated this place higher.

Would I go back? YES definately.

Pros: Tasty Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Furniture, Didn't have wraps, No EFTPOS

Return to Brighton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Red Veg closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 770 times since Aug 2007.