Red Tiger Dumpling House

( 1 review )
631-675-6899

1320 Stony Brook Rd, Stony Brook, New York, USA, 11790

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chinese restaurant with a separate vegan menu: has vegetable, tofu and faux meat options. Open Mon-Sun 12:30pm-9:30pm.

Categories: Ovo, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by romeo

good! I give it 4 stars with caution... - Edit

Only went once, so sometimes the first try is great and after that it’s goes all wrong. But the food was nice, there is a small vegan menu (very small). We ordered the pepper steak, it was good.

The waiter did have to ask us if we wanted a particular sauce because the sauce was not vegan or vegetarian. I wasn’t sure what it was, but I think it was for extra spicy (not traditional fish sauce, but this sauce did have fish in it). So the waiter did get that this wasn’t vegan and was nice enough to let us know, so we were able to tell them to not add that fishy hot sauce thanks to his warning.

We did have the veggie dumplings, the waitress did swear there was not any egg wash only veggies and no dairy. Usually it’s egg wash you have to worry about as per another Asian restaurant mentioned to me once. Although the dumplings were green and it had an ever so slightly sea taste, I believe it was seaweed in the dough, but I wasn’t sure to be honest. But the waiter seem to get we didn’t eat fish and such, he didn’t say this had fish sauce or anything. I tasted the filling alone and it did not taste like the sea. So I’m not sure, just FYI I am 95% sure dumplings are vegan, but not 100% sure.

Oh and you do have to order rice or something, these dishes did not come with rice. But it was enough for 2 people to split, maybe three if everyone ordered their own bowl of rice, which is $1 each.

I noticed on reviews elsewhere someone complained that they ordered something from the vegan menu and as the customer was picking up the order the staff had warned them that the vegan dish had bacon bits in it. They were confused as to why this dish was even on the vegan menu. So I’m not sure what that was about. But the reviewer didn’t mention which dish that was.

I like the atmosphere actually, it seems authentic to me and colorful, but it was cold where we sat, and it’s cash for tips.
So I give it 4 stars with vegan caution. It is small too.

Pros: vegan menu, good amount of food to split , colorful and authentic

Cons: small, have to order extra rice, a bit pricey, cash tip, may add fish sauce if not aware

Return to Stony Brook Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Tiger Dumpling House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.