Red Star

• Veg-friendly
Contact 313-581-1451

13944 Michigan Ave., Dearborn, Michigan, USA, 48126

Serves meat, vegan options available. Many dishes can be made vegan upon request. Offers mock chicken and mock beef substitution. Has tofu. Try general Tao's "chicken" and the almond "chicken."

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by samanthamuffin

Get Your Fix Here - Edit

I frequently crave that extremely bad for you, mall food court, chinese food taste, but obvisouly it isn't vegan. But with the vegan options they had here, I satisified any shameful craving I had for a month. I got the imitation sweet and sour chicken, and it was pretty on point. I persuaded my non-vegan dad into getting imitation beef with his dinner and he said he couldn't taste the difference, so that should say something! The inside is pretty cramped but if you're like me you probably want to attack your comfort food away from judging eyes.

Pros: Vegan options, Decent american/chinese food

Only takeout at this time - Edit

We went to this location while visiting Dearborn based on the reviews only to learn Red Star only offers takeout now. Since there was a hand written sign on the door announcing this fact, I assume this is a fairly new occurrence.

Red Star - General Tso's Chicken - Edit

During one of my random runs to Southfield, I found Red Star via Happy Cow. It was still a 15 minute drive, but when I discovered it was vegan and Chinese, you couldn't stop me.

Atmosphere - It's a bit small, certainly not intended for large parties or anything. The gentleman I spoke with was very friendly, making recommendations when I told him my friend was not vegan, but I was. Despite which, my friend ordered a vegan dish out of curiosity. Almost the entire menu is vegan friendly, having fake chicken and beef products to replace the meat ones.

Meal - It didn't taste identical to chicken, but even my meat-eating friend was impressed with it. I asked for additional spices which were quite a bit spicier than I anticipated, but it was still really good. I managed to wolf down half my dinner. The spring roll wasn't terribly good, but the egg roll was really yummy. Both rolls are vegan friendly as well.

All around, it was well worth the 15-20 minute drive. I was particularly upset when I realized that with vegan meals, I wouldn't be able to enjoy sweet and sour tofu or anything because no Chinese places carried it, and the fact that they carry these products is excellent for business because it makes very nearly their entire menu vegan-friendly. If I could give this place 5 cows (which I wish I could) then I totally would.

Pros: HUGE vegan selection, Exquisite Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Small Interior, Designed for small parties, No Delivery

Great vegetarian options and great food/service - Edit

I eat here several times a month. You can order all of their meat dishes vegan. I especially like their veggie soup and their black bean sauce. My favorite dish (so far) is the hunan "chicken." They use (I believe) tastily seasoned tofu as the "chicken" element. Very good. Definitely give it a try!

They are usually pretty empty (not sure why!), their prices are great (approx. $7 for a lunch combo - spring roll, soup, and entree), and the service is awesome!

Pros: Variety of vegetarian options, Price, Service

Cons: No nutritional information posted

Best Chinese Food Ever!!! - Edit

Their food is amazing. Almost any dish can be ordered vegan. I love the General Tao's with veggie chicken. The veggie soup is vegetable based and made at the restaurant. It is delicious!!! The vegetables in the soup are crispy and fresh. The mock meat is tasty and not too similar to actual meat.

The staff is very nice and accommodating. I have been here a million times and have never seen it really busy, so it is a great place to go if you are super hungry because you get right in and can start eating. I have never had a bad experience.

Pros: Large portions, Super vegan friendly, Awesome staff

Return to Dearborn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Star closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2538 times since Mar 2010.