Red Pepper

919-968-3488

1704 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, 27514

Serves meat, vegan options available. Szechuan Chinese food menu with veggie dishes like ma po tofu, Szechuan dried tofu, kungpow lotus root, eggplant with spicy sauce, stir fried veggies, tofu deluxe, black bean with tofu. Be sure to specify vegan.

Categories: Ovo, Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by Sayfish

Good food, not vegan friendly - Edit

I really wanted to like this place, but while the food was good, it was not anymore vegan friendly than your average Chinese place. When I asked the waiter what was vegan, she didn't know what vegan was. After I explained to her, she pointed to the vegetable section of the menu, which has things like stir fried string beans (normal generic vegetable dishes you'd expect in a Chinese restaurant). When I asked about veganizing some of the other menu items, I didn't feel like the waiter or kitchen really made an attempt to accommodate me. Her best offer was to give me steamed eggplant with sauce on the side as a vegan version of an eggplant stir fry (it would have been fairly easy to combine the two into a stir fry, but that wasn't offered).
I got the stir fried green beans and the eggplant discussed above. They were good (especially the eggplant, once I tossed it in a wok at home with some sauce), but I just don't think this restaurant belongs on Happy Cow if they won't make an effort to accommodate vegans. Also, some of the dishes listed as vegan in the description are not on the menu (and I looked at both the Americanized and traditional menus).
Updated from previous review on 2017-09-16

So tasty! - Edit

This is my absolute favorite restaurant in the triangle area. The best part is the authentic menu. She only has the "Americanized" (less Americanized than others) menu online. Inside the restaurant is the authentic menu which she will make almost anything vegan and give you lots of suggestions that you can try. I haven't been disappointed yet! If you like spicy food, you can also get that fix here too! Red pepper is also women owned and operated.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Affordable

Cons: Small environment, Can't fit a party bigger than 8

Return to Chapel Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Pepper closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.