Red Onion

257 W Campbell St, Glasgow, Scotland, G2 4TT

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chef-owned fusion food restaurant. Offers a separate vegan menu with dishes might be such as tomato basil soup, avocado salad with spicy peanut dressing and crispy noodles, tempura vegetables with sweet chilli and soy dip, grilled mushroom bruschetta with onion marmalade. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by MuK-UK

OK for non vegan restaurant - Edit

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high after reading enthusiastic comments on Facebook but I left slightly disappointed.
Service was good, food was good but not exceptional. Avocado peanut salad was pretty good, crispy noodles felt as if they were made a day in advance but overall it was something unusual that I didn't see anywhere else, so worth a try. For main course I had mushroom tart which was quite delicious, quite unnecessarily accompanied by a huge pile of salad which I felt didn't really go with the tart, some rocket salad would compliment it so much better.
The biggest disappointment was dessert of banana fritters and chocolate praline sauce, fritters were quite mediocre and the sauce didn't go with it at all, the whole thing was screaming for some ice cream to bring it together and make it less dry.
Overall though it was good value for money considering the restaurant which is a bit more "fancy" than your usual vegan eatery in Glasgow and the separate vegan menu makes them an option for those forced to eat out with meat eaters on special occasions.

Pros: Vegan menu , Value for money , Good service

Cons: Food not that great

Seperate Vegan Menu - Edit

Loved this restaurant so much choice, usually I struggle eating at a normal meat serving restaurant with one or two choices. The vegan menu boasts 5 starters and 5 mains and it's not just boring old sweet potato salad. I had lovely veg tempura to start and a mushroom risotto for main. I even got a vegan chocolate brownie. Can't wait to go back and try some of the other meals. Everything about here was amazing! Highly recommend!!!

Pros: Tasty, Plenty of choice

vegan menu! - Edit

I was delighted to find that Red Onion have a separate vegan menu- not just one or two veggie options! My choices (tempura and veg "meat"balls) were great and I look forward to going back to try some of the others. Well done Red Onion!

Pros: a full vegan menu

Cons: none

confused menu! - Edit

We booked a table for two for dinner in the evening. We ordered from the set vegan menu, a starter and main each and for myself a pudding. The starters arrived and were excellent, the avocado salad and the tempura vegetables ( a very generous amount of vegetables). The mains were quick to be served which was great as we were hungry but upon arrival my spaghetti and 'vegan meatball' appeared to actually be shop bought cauldron falafels and spaghetti. You don't eat the two things together, it felt like 2 different meals so i was disappointed. The other main of bean burger was ok but they didn't live up to the starter which was disappointing. The pudding was of hot chocolate brownie and was served with a very thin alpro custard. When you go to a restaurant such as the red onion you expect good standards of chef who can cook things like vegan meatballs from scratch as it's something I do easily at home myself - even if he was using granose etc - the service was great but overall the food was sadly lacking. I don't see the point in doing a specified vegan menu if its not going to do flavourful and exciting vegan cooking justice.

Pros: good Service , food was quick , friendly staff

Cons: strong meat smell especially next to the kitchen , FLAFELS ARE NOT VEGAN MEATBALLS!!, price doesn't reflect the food quality

Vegan choices were a bit average - Edit

It's refreshing to see a restaurant offering a separate vegan menu but I was a little disappointed by the options available.

The choice is a little limited (to be expected) and I felt the dishes lacked imagination. They include mushroom bruschetta, the ubiquitous mushroom risotto and a tomato tart.

The service was good but when the food came I was very much underwhelmed. It wasn't bad but I wasn't thinking 'wow, I must come back'.

However, the effort they have made to have a separate vegan menu deserves applause.

Don't think I feel hugely motivated to return.

Pros: Nice dining room, Good service, Separate vegan menu

Cons: Prices on the high side, Food was very ordinary, PA system on wall!

How Refreshing! - Edit

This is surely the way of the future: somewhere that can offer something for many different diets and do it well.
The separate vegan menu offers a good range of choice. There was also menus for vegetarians and coeliacs. The wine menu also clearly marked the vegan options. The pre-theatre 3 course offer is good value.
I thoroughly enjoyed my meal in this pleasant restaurant and the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive.
I'll certainly be back, especially if needing to eat with non vegan friends and family.

Pros: Varied Menu, Pre-Theatre Menu, Relaxed

Cons: Full Price Menu At The More Expensive End Compared

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Onion closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.